Stoke (H) Pre match thread

Guest nufc_kev

I'd love to see us knock four past them or something. We've defintely got it in us, i'm confident of that. If we go at them like we did against West Brom, and if Martins and Owen are firing, there's every chance we can win handsomely.

We won't though. A third clean sheet in a row would be just as nice as seeing us score four. Not aesthetically, but it'd certainly show consistency.

I'd love to see us knock four past them or something. We've defintely got it in us, i'm confident of that. If we go at them like we did against West Brom, and if Martins and Owen are firing, there's every chance we can win handsomely.

We won't though. A third clean sheet in a row would be just as nice as seeing us score four. Not aesthetically, but it'd certainly show consistency.

It would make a nice change wouldn't it?

I'd be happy with a clean sheet, and we should, but we should have beat Wigan and got hammered off Chelsea.

Delap on football focus.

His throws have helped Stoke score 7 of their 15 goals this season.  I know everyone can do the maths, but I didn't realise he'd assisted nearly half their goals.  In theory, they would actually be fucked without him!

I bet hes under strict instructions to only use his arms/hands for eating when hes not playing.

If we can deal with his throws, we can knack them easily

Guest timmy boy

Delap on football focus.

His throws have helped Stoke score 7 of their 15 goals this season.  I know everyone can do the maths, but I didn't realise he'd assisted nearly half their goals.  In theory, they would actually be f***ed without him!

I can't recall Delap getting any assists away from home though. Also I think Stoke set there pitch up to be as narrow as it possibly can under league regulations to assist Delap. Our pitch must be one of the wider ones in the league.

Saying all that he will definitely get an assist today now! 

It will be just like us to concede early here, and it's something we simply can't afford to do.

Stoke are likely to sit back a bit any way, it's the way they play, but if they score early, they'll do it even more, making them extremely hard to break down.

If they score early, we'll get no more than a draw.

OFFICIAL TEAM from BBC Radio Newcastle:

Given

Beye Coloccini Bassong Enrique

Jonas Guthrie Geremi NZogbia

Martins Owen

SUBS: Steve Harper, Claudio Cacapa, David Edgar, Andy Carroll, Mark Viduka, Steven Taylor, Xisco

Guest firetotheworks

Given

Martins Owen

SUBS: Steve Harper, Claudio Cacapa, David Edgar, Andy Carroll, Mark Viduka, Steven Taylor, Xisco

Oooh, that is a tasty line up if Geremi can at least have a half decent game.  If we need to attack a bit more then take him off for Viduka and its the formation a lot have been calling for.

Given

Martins Owen

Oooh, that is a tasty line up if Geremi can at least have a half decent game.  If we need to attack a bit more then take him off for Viduka and its the formation a lot have been calling for.

My only major gripe is having three target men and three centre halves on the bench. Surely just leave Cacapa or Edgar off and stick LuaLua or someone on, in case someone gets injured in midfield or whatever.

Guest firetotheworks

Given

Martins Owen

My only major gripe is having three target men and three centre halves on the bench. Surely just leave Cacapa or Edgar off and stick LuaLua or someone on, in case someone gets injured in midfield or whatever.

Aye, maybe take Edgar and Carroll out. We can reshuffle though, Colo could drop into midfield and put Taylor in the back four, or just put Cacapa in.....famous last words.

I think a heavy focus of that team is how Geremi and Gurthrie perform today, have they played together much from the start?

I can't recall them both starting...either way, team should be strong enough to win here, 1st goal is key

I think a heavy focus of that team is how Geremi and Gurthrie perform today, have they played together much from the start?

I can't recall them both starting...either way, team should be strong enough to win here, 1st goal is key

You'd hope they'd be able to win the midfield battle... Amdy Faye (nuff said) and Salif Diao (couldn't get a game at Pompey when they were shit) is a totally holocaust central midfield pairing.

Fantastic looking side out for us today. Pace on the wings, delivery through the middle. Nailz defense. And if Owen tries to actually perform today, it could be a tasty afternoon.

As someone's said, their team on paper looks dreadful.