Stoke (H) Pre match thread

Guest nufc_kev

Looks like Xisco is back in full training going by those pics on .co.uk.

Hopefully he'll be given a fair chance soon, but I somehow doubt it.

You'd expect to see him on the bench tomorrow but I'm also not so sure.

He would have to be blowing JK away in training to get ahead of Martins, Owen and Viduka.

He would have to be blowing JK away in training to get ahead of Martins, Owen and Viduka.

It'd be nice to see him get a fair bit of game-time coming off the bench, if we can afford to (i.e. if we're comfortable enough, and it's worth taking one of the aforementioned forwards off). For what it's worth PhysioRoom has him down as doubtful for the Stoke game.

Same goes, in all seriousness, for Nile Ranger if he's still playing well at reserve level. And LuaLua.

Guest Heneage

What about a cheeky one in the showers instead?

It'd be nice to see him get a fair bit of game-time coming off the bench, if we can afford to (i.e. if we're comfortable enough, and it's worth taking one of the aforementioned forwards off). For what it's worth PhysioRoom has him down as doubtful for the Stoke game.

Same goes, in all seriousness, for Nile Ranger if he's still playing well at reserve level. And LuaLua.

RM - We are in a relegation fight we cant be giving game time away in the PL for players to adjust or grow as we have to win games or at least not get beaten. Wegner rarely f***s around in PL by giving his League cup kids a run out for 10 or 20 mins in the PL.

RM - We are in a relegation fight we cant be giving game time away in the PL for players to adjust or grow as we have to wing games or at least not get beaten. Wegner rarely fucks around in PL by giving his League cup kids a run out for 10 or 20 mins in the PL.

Hear Hear. We are not in a position to gamble on those unproven yet in the Premier League.

RM - We are in a relegation fight we cant be giving game time away in the PL for players to adjust or grow as we have to wing games or at least not get beaten. Wegner rarely f***s around in PL by giving his League cup kids a run out for 10 or 20 mins in the PL.

Hear Hear. We are not in a position to gamble on those unproven yet in the Premier League.

I agree mostly - but if we're three or four goals up with ten minutes to go, I see no harm.

Although I do admit, there's more chance I'll win the lottery this weekend - and I haven't even bought a ticket. :lol:

Can really see this being our game of two halves - shit first half, great second half.

It entirely depends on whether or not Stoke turn up and punish us in that first half to determine what result we'll get.

RM - We are in a relegation fight we cant be giving game time away in the PL for players to adjust or grow as we have to wing games or at least not get beaten. Wegner rarely f***s around in PL by giving his League cup kids a run out for 10 or 20 mins in the PL.

I agree mostly - but if we're three or four goals up with ten minutes to go, I see no harm.

Although I do admit, there's more chance I'll win the lottery this weekend - and I haven't even bought a ticket. :lol:

:lol: I was gonna say something then I saw the bit about the lottery ticket.

This is a MUST WIN game if the club are to avoid being rooted in the bottom 3 or 4 ; having said that, it will not be easy to win.

Stoke are a physical and difficult side to play against ; they are a bit like Wimbledon in the 80s, but not quite as good at their game. NUFC have ALWAYS struggled against this type of team and we need at least a 2 goal lead by the 80th minute if we are to win ; being 1-0 in front with 10 minutes to play would be tempting fate in the extreme because the defence are always likely to give goals away at set-pieces - Stoke's speciality.

Whilst ANYTHING can happen in football, I am prepared to stick my neck out and say that if this game is lost at SJP, NUFC WILL be relegated.

That's actually not even true, we have a very good record against Wimbledon at SJP, including a few pastings for them. Where we struggled was when we had to travel to their place.

As in the FA Cup game at SJP, after all the hype with Vinnie Jones and Gazza..!??

We had a better side ON PAPER, and lost , 3-1 ; were you there, or are your views based  on the thumping we(eventually)handed out to them in 1995 when Jones was in goal..?

We also failed to beat Wimbledon at SJP in 1987 when Mirandinha made his home debut...

We only just beat them 2-1 at SJP in Shearer's debut home game, and it took a very late free-kick from the man himself to do it....

Doesn't look 'not even true' to me - NUFC have ALWAYS struggled against physical sides.

This is a MUST WIN game if the club are to avoid being rooted in the bottom 3 or 4 ; having said that, it will not be easy to win.

Stoke are a physical and difficult side to play against ; they are a bit like Wimbledon in the 80s, but not quite as good at their game. NUFC have ALWAYS struggled against this type of team and we need at least a 2 goal lead by the 80th minute if we are to win ; being 1-0 in front with 10 minutes to play would be tempting fate in the extreme because the defence are always likely to give goals away at set-pieces - Stoke's speciality.

Whilst ANYTHING can happen in football, I am prepared to stick my neck out and say that if this game is lost at SJP, NUFC WILL be relegated.

Thats bollocks Stoke aren't a bad side, yes we need to win but it doesn't mean we'll go down if we don't.  Will Spurs go down if they lose their next game?

We'll soon see if its 'bollocks' or not, and sorry, Stoke are NOT in the category of being 'not a bad side'..

By Prem standards, they are POOR ; their strengths are Physical play and discipline, nothing more.

If NUFC cannot beat them at SJP, they DESERVE to go down - if you don't like it that's tough, but it happens to be true. The Spurs comment is irrelevant ; they have already proved that they can get results against Liverpool and Arsenal which NUFC have NOT, so their prospects look better.

Thats bollocks Stoke aren't a bad side, yes we need to win but it doesn't mean we'll go down if we don't.  Will Spurs go down if they lose their next game?

We'll soon see if its 'bollocks' or not, and sorry, Stoke are NOT in the category of being 'not a bad side'..

By Prem standards, they are POOR ; their strengths are Physical play and discipline, nothing more.

If NUFC cannot beat them at SJP, they DESERVE to go down - if you don't like it that's tough, but it happens to be true. The Spurs comment is irrelevant ; they have already proved that they can get results against Liverpool and Arsenal which NUFC have NOT, so their prospects look better.

Manchester United 1-1 Newcastle

Chelsea 0-0 Newcastle

I consider Man U and Chelsea to be better than Liverpool and Arsenal. We did get humped off Arsenal but that was with a very very thin squad, and we haven't even played Liverpool yet.

You need to consider things a bit more before coming out all guns blazing and making such bold statements.