Stoke (H) Pre match thread

Guest nufc_kev

I'd like us to go with the following:

Given

Beye - Taylor - Bassong - Enrique

Jonas - Coloccini - Guthrie - N'Zogbia

Owen - Martins

Wouldn't be keen on splitting Bassong and Coloccini up but I really want to see Colo in midfield and I think this would be the ideal game to go for it as Taylor would be useful to have in the box for Delap's throw-ins. Colo played a couple of very threatening balls through to Oba on Saturday and he just looks so good with the ball at his feet. Pretty sure he wouldn't be like Butt and pass it to anybody but his team-mates too.

This.

Although JK will probably play Butt and Duff (if fit) unfortunately.

He'd be daft to change it as far as i am concerned, very daft. We're unbeaten in three and have kept two clean sheets in a row, both games being away from home. We need to see how this system works at home because it seems to be working well on other teams' patches. This game might confirm to us a couple things like, Colo and Bassong are a quality partnership, Oba and Martins are capable of playing together, Jonas can be effective on the right. This eleven is potentially very good and it's needless changing it at the moment.

If certain things (Jonas on the right, Owen/Oba up top) don't start to come together, then fine, change it. But games like this against decent, competetive but beatable opposition, are essential in finding out if a working system really does work.

I guess i can understand it if he does take a different (more attacking) approach, because we're at home. But for the game at Pompey next week, it should definitely be the eleven we've seen for the last two games, cos it's proven to work away from home.

These two games are really massive, i can't wait to see how they turn out tbh. It'll define whether or not we are capable of moving forward with this manager.

Whatever happens, if Taylor/Duff come straight back in, it's a bloody disgrace.

Given

Beye -- Coloccini -- Bassong -- Enrique

Jonas -- Butt -- Guthrie -- N'Zogbia

Martins -- Owen

Guest nufc_kev

Huge set of fixtures for us this weekend. With a good result and a bit of luck we can put a few points between us and a few teams. With a shit result and bad luck in the other results we could be propping up the league along with West Brom.

This has possibly already been said but really can't be arsed to read through all the pages.

This is an absolutely must win game, a huge chance to pull away from the bottom three against a team that will be near the relegation battle come the end of the season and one that doesn't travel all that well.

A draw is not good enough from this one.

I would prefer duff to come back in if we are playing enrique at left back, zoggy just doesn-t give enough coverage.

Would be very surprised if taylor marched straight in...

He didn't on Saturday so can't see why this week would be any different to be honest.

Guest nufc_kev

This has possibly already been said but really can't be arsed to read through all the pages.

This is an absolutely must win game, a huge chance to pull away from the bottom three against a team that will be near the relegation battle come the end of the season and one that doesn't travel all that well.

A draw is not good enough from this one.

It was said 3 posts above mate ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't start with 3 up front tbh.

Neither would I. He'd never go with a formation as attacking as that.

How do we know? When has Kinnear ever had three strikers of the quality of Martins, Viduka & Owen in his squad? Keegan very rarely played Shearer, Ferdinand & Asprilla together, and yet it was the supposedly negative Dalglish that actually played them as a front-three several times towards the end of that season.

Wouldnt it be lovely to be sitting comfortable with twenty minutes left? My nerves cant take much more of hanging on for a point or three come the last ten minutes.

The last few minutes of the Villa game this season were a real shock to the system- everyone was actually enjoying themselves and singing!

Just transferred Oba into my fantasy team. Better make it a hattrick to reward my faith O0

Given

Beye  Colo  Bass  Tayls

Butt  Guthrie
Jonas                   Zoggy

Oba  Owen

Hoping for a trashing but just can't see it happening. I don't remember a game where we played great as a favourite. It's always the same...as an underdog we always surprise and perform at least decently but when we should grab an easy victory we somehow manage to make unbelievably difficult for ourselves. Should be at least 3-0 but probably the results like 1-0 or 1-1 are closer to reality. Surprised if we don't condece first :knuppel2:

Jose hasn't looked very confident lately. I've always been wondering what's the point of bringing in so many youngsters if they'll never gonna be given a chance!...so Tozer, Kadar, LuaLua, Zamblera & Ranger :tickedoff:

Off topic.

Can someone give me a link to a table that compares this years' results (home and away) to the corresponding fixtures from last season.-- the table would show where we have improved (a draw at Old Trafford vs. last years' drubbing) and slipped.

I've seen these around, but cannot locate one now. Thanks.

Also, isn't Duff out?

Off topic.

Can someone give me a link to a table that compares this years' results (home and away) to the corresponding fixtures from last season.-- the table would show where we have improved (a draw at Old Trafford vs. last years' drubbing) and slipped.

I've seen these around, but cannot locate one now. Thanks.

Also, isn't Duff out?

We're 1 point up against the same opposition this season compared with last season.

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't start with 3 up front tbh.

Neither would I. He'd never go with a formation as attacking as that.

How do we know? When has Kinnear ever had three strikers of the quality of Martins, Viduka & Owen in his squad? Keegan very rarely played Shearer, Ferdinand & Asprilla together, and yet it was the supposedly negative Dalglish that actually played them as a front-three several times towards the end of that season.

If JFK wants to increase his chances of a win, he should definitely go 4-3-3. With Viduka, Owen and Martins up top we put the fear of god in teams a lot better than Stoke last season.

Guest nufc_kev

Seriously in doubt of going ahead if the snow continues like this.

Depends if the council bother gritting the roads. Stadium and pitch will be fine.

It's the approaches to the stadium that will be the main concern I reckon.

Let's hope it stops.

Guest Stephen927

As a team we have to play to our strengths. We have 3 very good strikers and a weak midfield, so surely we should be focusing on a 4-3-3 with a solid base in midfield and 3 strikers who as we all know thanks to Kevin Keegan compliment each other very well.

As a team we have to play to our strengths. We have 3 very good strikers and a weak midfield, so surely we should be focusing on a 4-3-3 with a solid base in midfield and 3 strikers who as we all know thanks to Kevin Keegan compliment each other very well.

The thing is though Barton was very infuential in that 3 man midfield, Guthrie may do it but Barton was one of the best players towards the end of the season.