Stoke (H) Pre match thread

Guest nufc_kev

Guest neesy111

can we not use the 433 formation as a 442, with butt or guthrie just staying back and owen in that hole behind the strikers

can we not use the 433 formation as a 442, with butt or guthrie just staying back and owen in that hole behind the strikers

:lol:

Sorry, it's just the bold bit seemed to me like a Souness-ism.

Was going through statistics on sky and found this to be somewhat interesting:

First half table:

19  Newcastle United  15  1  7  7  6  14  -8  10

Second half table:

6  Newcastle United  15  5  7  3  11  8  +3  22

Unbelievable how shite we've been  for the first 45 minutes this season

Guest Stephen927

I'd like to see what Kinnear says before the game compared to his words of wisdom at half time.

His plan is probably to keep it tight early on and then use our energy in the second half.

Delap's throw ins are very easy to defend if your keeper commands the box and will come out to punch them away.  The key is to have the person (or people) on the goal line come out and attack the ball rather than letting it get into the box un-attacked.  The throw generally goes to the same spot every time so it's not hard to guess where it's going and prepare beforehand.

Delap's throw ins are very easy to defend if your keeper commands the box and will come out to punch them away.  The key is to have the person (or people) on the goal line come out and attack the ball rather than letting it get into the box un-attacked.  The throw generally goes to the same spot every time so it's not hard to guess where it's going and prepare beforehand.

agree with this :snod:

Guest Stephen927

Which is where we are fucked.

sounds so easy....if as has happened the keeper comes and doesn't reach it just once he is called a mug and any flick has the keeper out of the goal. watch the way stoke do it,there'll be at least one player in there who has no intenetion of going for the ball who just wants to stand in the way of the advancing keeper.

Derby beat Stoke in the end (handball from griffin gave them a last minute penalty)... hopefully that will hurt their confidence a little coming into our match! There for the taking if they can't score against Derby!

Derby beat Stoke in the end (handball from griffin gave them a last minute penalty)... hopefully that will hurt their confidence a little coming into our match! There for the taking if they can't score against Derby!

Damn you, Griffin! Extra time would have been spot on for us.

Guest Nufc4Life

Any danger of this being called off at all with all the snow? I know its only Tuesday, but i reckon thers gonna be a lot more snow this week.

sounds so easy....if as has happened the keeper comes and doesn't reach it just once he is called a mug and any flick has the keeper out of the goal. watch the way stoke do it,there'll be at least one player in there who has no intenetion of going for the ball who just wants to stand in the way of the advancing keeper.

Spot on. Keepers have tried to come out and command their box against stoke and have failed miserably because a. There are a bunch of huge lads are standing in front of them and b. any touch on anyone in the box while the ball flys in could flick the ball into the open goal, and c. The ball flies in low and fast so having extra reach isn't much of an advantage.

If it was that easy teams would have figured it out by now. Personally I don't think having the keeper come out is a good solution. Think it's better for them to stand their ground and try their luck at saving it. (Especially for Shay)

What I'd give for a good 'ol 4-goal spanking. Something I'd be able to save on my computer and savor again and again like Spurs last year.

Felt like I was in heaven for a whole week after that one, I could use a lift like that rigth about now.

Guest Why_Delilah_Stoke

Help request from Stoke-on-Trent...

...hello, I come in peace.

I'm one of the Stoke City reporters at the Stoke-based newspaper, The Sentinel, and the website dedicated to the Potters - www.whydelilah.co.uk

As part of the match preview package, I need to hear from some of you Newcastle fans. I have a few questions on the Magpies that need answering and it can all be done over e-mail.

If you're up for it, can you drop me an e-mail on [email protected]

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

Dave

I'm one of the Stoke City reporters at the Stoke-based newspaper, The Sentinel, and the website dedicated to the Potters - www.whydelilah.co.uk

As part of the match preview package, I need to hear from some of you Newcastle fans. I have a few questions on the Magpies that need answering and it can all be done over e-mail.

Cheers,

Dave

*hopes JJC sees this*

Guest Stephen927

Cheers,

Dave

I've just filled it out and sent it back, some very good questions in there, I enjoyed answering them.

We are at home, the emphasis needs to be on how much damage we can do to them rather than worry about their long throws too much. Obviously the aerial threat has to be countered, but if we keep the ball on the deck and press them high up the pitch we should dominate possession as they will be too clumsy to keep the ball for long. Then hopefully their dead ball situations will be few and far beween.