Stoke (H) Pre match thread

Guest nufc_kev

Faye isn't THAT good, he's a very solid no nonesense defender, better then Cacapa and better then Taylor, but he's far from immense.  Still I wasn't happy to lose him since at the time he was our best central defender, but I think he's be third choice these days.

When you've followed Stoke for as many years that i have, and seen some players that have graced the red and white stripes......Beleive me Faye is Emmense.

Like I said I knew he'd be immense for Stoke, he's just not immense in comparison to other defenders in this league.

Faye's a fucking awesome centre-back. His departure was the only serious problem personnel-wise in the summer (ie, his departure was more annoying than not getting another full-back in, for eg). He's just such a fucking class centre-half, he'd have worked really, really well with Coloccini as far as i am concerned.

Luckily, we appear to have gotten away with it in a lot of respects, because defense - believe it or not - hasn't especially been the problem this season. Still, it would have been very nice to atleast have sampled a potential partnership between him and Colo.

Faye's a fucking awesome centre-back. His departure was the only serious problem personnel-wise in the summer (ie, his departure was more annoying than not getting another full-back in, for eg). He's just such a fucking class centre-half, he'd have worked really, really well with Coloccini as far as i am concerned.

Luckily, we appear to have gotten away with it in a lot of respects, because defense - believe it or not - hasn't especially been the problem this season. Still, it would have been very nice to atleast have sampled a potential partnership between him and Colo.

Rio Ferdinand is an awesome defender, Faye is decent.

If Stoke are coming to put 11 men behind the ball, we need Viduka to play as much as possible. He's not really a great player anymore, but he's still a great finisher and can always find space for himself to take a shot, and that's what we'll need against a team going for a point. We'll still need Martins and Owen to work some space for him, mind.

Guest neesy111

faye awesome, u need your head checking

he was good at times, but his positional sense at times was dreadful, i remember keweyne jones winning every header against him last season at st james even though it lead to nothing

if he was so good why did keegan sell him, and where were the top clubs coming in for him?

faye awesome, u need your head checking

he was good at times, but his positional sense at times was dreadful, i remember keweyne jones winning every header against him last season at st james even though it lead to nothing

if he was so good why did keegan sell him, and where were the top clubs coming in for him?

Ooooh it's the bellamy gambit.

:razz: We have different perceptions of adjectives. I'd say Ferdinand was a 'world class' defender.

Faye's a f***ing awesome centre-back. His departure was the only serious problem personnel-wise in the summer (ie, his departure was more annoying than not getting another full-back in, for eg). He's just such a f***ing class centre-half, he'd have worked really, really well with Coloccini as far as i am concerned.

:razz: We have different perceptions of adjectives. I'd say Ferdinand was a 'world class' defender.

i wouldn't

I'd say a defender needs to be world class, or pretty close, to put people in awe of his defender.  I can't remember ever being in awe of Faye, he was a good and very solid defender, that's all.

Oh for fuck's sake.

I exaggerated. I thought he was good and i liked him. He's gone now and it doesn't matter.

:thup:

Not good enough Yorkie Bar.

You have to stick to your guns and reference how good Faye was in any argument about our defence.

Then eventually you will get your own 'Feather-weight Championship Thread' where it is you against all the Bassong lovers

I'll pass judgement on whether it was a good decision to sell him after tomorrow. If Bassong and Colo can handle everything thrown at them against Stoke then it can be said we won't have missed Faye, but my feeling is that we still don't have a really dominant centre back, and I include Taylor in that. Maybe Bassong will step up to become that missing cog, we'll see.

Faye was a superb defender (and a pretty good footballer) and if he'd had a different name and been signed from a different club, our fans would have appreciated him more imo. He made that one rick at Birmingham and suddenly he was 'average' - fucking bollocks.

By the way, I see Owen has today been quoted saying that he wants to go for the three pronged attack, as Oba also did last week. Still can't see Kinnear going for it but if he's got the three strikers in his ear, maybe he'll cave.

The selling of Faye ranks as one of the most ridiculous nufc transfer dealings in the the last 15 years tbh. Get the feeling Keegan told him he was behind Taylor in the pecking order and it didn't sit right, who knows.

neesy you're talking rubbish again tbh. The top 10 clubs all have very established CB pairings tbh. Right down to Spurs. Faye is a good defender but he's 31. Were the top clubs in for Pedro in 93? it's a daft and lazy argument

Faye was a superb defender (and a pretty good footballer) and if he'd had a different name and been signed from a different club, our fans would have appreciated him more imo. He made that one rick at Birmingham and suddenly he was 'average' - f***ing bollocks.

By the way, I see Owen has today been quoted saying that he wants to go for the three pronged attack, as Oba also did last week. Still can't see Kinnear going for it but if he's got the three strikers in his ear, maybe he'll cave.

He's said on .cock that he's starting with two of the three, but won't be scared to switch to 3 up top if he needs to.

Faye was a superb defender (and a pretty good footballer) and if he'd had a different name and been signed from a different club, our fans would have appreciated him more imo. He made that one rick at Birmingham and suddenly he was 'average' - f***ing bollocks.

He's said on .cock that he's starting with two of the three, but won't be scared to switch to 3 up top if he needs to.

Hmm. I'd much rather start with the three than do it when we're panicking and needing a goal with twenty minutes left.

EDIT: but I recognise Vids is not fit of course.

Guest sicko2ndbest

If we play with confidence, on the front foot from the first whistle i think we will win comfortably 3-0, 4-1. However, if we dont have a good start and the score is goalless at the end of first half i think the confidence will drain and we will struggle