City fail with Casillas bid

Guest Immsy7

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4581884,00.html

There just getting stupid. Thinking that everyone wants to go to Man City, when most of the big players around Europe probably haven't even heard of them. They have hardly any recent European history for them to know them from. They are acting like some sort of FIFA/FM game where you cheat to get loads of money and buy all the top players in the world. Someone needs to tell them that it doesn't quite work like that in real life.

They have got to slowly build a squad to cement them as the 'team that looks like they may be able to challenge the top 4' i.e Villa atm, and Tottenham, Everton and Newcastle of the past. Then when they have done that they need to work on breaking into the top four and THEN they can start throwing their weight around Europe trying to get top players.

The worlds best players are not going to want to go and play for a mid-table Premier league team.

Thoughts/Opinions?

mackems.gif

Really though, they need to slow down a bit. I know they're trying the Chelsea route but even Chelsea sort of "built up" a squad over 2~3 years. They can't just go out and put together a World XI in one window just because they have the cash to do so.

Where's the harm in trying if the money is available?

It makes you look like a joke. Devalues the club further in potential targets' eyes.

mackems.gif

Really though, they need to slow down a bit. I know they're trying the Chelsea route but even Chelsea sort of "built up" a squad over 2~3 years. They can't just go out and put together a World XI in one window just because they have the cash to do so.

It makes you look like a joke. Devalues the club further in potential targets' eyes.

But if you need a an experienced 'keeper, which they do, why not go for the best you can attain?

The story might be a load of bollocks anyway, but if it's not all they did was sound out Casillas and his agent. It's not like they've released a statement saying: "WE'RE AFTER CASILLAS!"

"My brother spoke to Manchester City many times," the 28-year-old told FourFourTwo magazine.

"Their project is the kind that would interest any player - they could soon be among the best sides in England.

"Lots of brilliant players are heading in their direction and yes, my brother looked properly at their offer.

"But Silvio Berlusconi [Milan owner] had been saying for years that he would like to sign me and I felt in the end that it was the right time to say yes."

Ronaldinho. One of the biggest players in the world, taken from SkySports.com. Today.

mackems.gif

But if you need a an experienced 'keeper, which they do, why not go for the best you can attain?

The story might be a load of bollocks anyway, but if it's not all they did was sound out Casillas and his agent. It's not like they've released a statement saying: "WE'RE AFTER CASILLAS!"

Because there is no way Real would ever sell Casillas for any sum of money, and there is no way Casillas would leave Real.

A better idea would be to go for the best keeper who's not already in a top side in one of the top leagues. Ambitious, but also practical.

mackems.gif

Because there is no way Real would ever sell Casillas for any sum of money, and there is no way Casillas would leave Real.

A better idea would be to go for the best keeper who's not already in a top side in one of the top leagues. Ambitious, but also practical.

Have you even read the article?

If it's true (which it's probably not), it says that they offered his buy-out clause, so Real Madrid wouldn't have a say.

mackems.gif

If it's true (which it's probably not), it says that they offered his buy-out clause, so Real Madrid wouldn't have a say.

I haven't. Should have considered that all Spanish players have buyout clauses because of the rules in their league.

here is no way Casillas would leave Real.

still applies though.

mackems.gif

I haven't. Should have considered that all Spanish players have buyout clauses because of the rules in their league.

here is no way Casillas would leave Real.

still applies though.

It does indeed, should have really mentioned that. I do think your way is more logical, of course, but I honestly can't fault them for aiming high first of all after they contrived to land Robinho over the summer.

I do think they'll shock one or two with the players they manage to get in January/next summer, though, simply because of the spending power they have and the fact they've already got the first piece of the puzzle.

Regardless of the circumstance that led Robinho to City, you'd imagine he'd be something of a catalyst for some other big names to go there - maybe more the likes of Diego from Werder than Sneijder from Real, though.

They will get some very good players. They'll all however be mentally weak, i.e. have no sort of loyalty or common sense, i.e. Robinho.

But maybe first they should think about climbing the league table, coz at the moment, I'd say us, Villa and Portsmouth are all more likely to finish in a European spot.

Guest Stephen927

Don't particularly like the route their taking in relation to the way money is fucking the game up, but if the moneys there then why not get the best. Casillas is the best keeper in the world, might as well try their luck.

Glad he turned them down though.  :lol:

I think they tried that with Isaksson and he proved to be a flop.

With infinite funds, I'm sure they could do a lot better than Isaksson.

Our own Shay Given, for one. I love Shay with all my heart but if Man City comes in with 20m, I'd kiss him goodbye.

And I'm sure that there are plenty of good up-and-coming keepers in Europe that I'm not aware about that they could pick up.