Michael Owen gets injured; rejoice!

Willow

i hate the little tosser and remember when he got injured in the world cup with his knee injury, he was still injured from his broken foot

that really makes my blood boil as he should of not been anywhere near a football pitch then and it showed what he thought about NUFC which is f*** all

i'm glad he hasn't acceptated that contract

also i can't believe we turned down robbie keane and anelka for 12 million between them for owen

thanks shepherd you fat b******, this really got the boat rolling for what ultimely happened which was relegated

For that first point, did Shearer get the same stick in 98 after coming back from a career threatening injury out of form and clearly not fully fit and at his peak?

i hate the little tosser and remember when he got injured in the world cup with his knee injury, he was still injured from his broken foot

that really makes my blood boil as he should of not been anywhere near a football pitch then and it showed what he thought about NUFC which is f*** all

i'm glad he hasn't acceptated that contract

also i can't believe we turned down robbie keane and anelka for 12 million between them for owen

thanks shepherd you fat b******, this really got the boat rolling for what ultimely happened which was relegated

For that first point, did Shearer get the same stick in 98 after coming back from a career threatening injury out of form and clearly not fully fit and at his peak?

Shearer had a lot more minutes under his belt though iirc.

Owen is a jerk ...

fuckin hell, when was that done? seems like a right prick.

Michael Owen's Soccer Skills it was called, made in 1999. I remember watching it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0212674/

Wow ... so he actually belittles young kids on his own soccer video.

Even more of a jerk than I thought then!

I love the fact that he has still chosen to include Southall's comment in the video.

I think a big problem over the last two years has been that certain managers haven't had the nerve to drop him, because of his reputation. I don't think Allardyce rated him, but never felt secure enough to dump him and face the inevitable outcry.

There was a point with Kinnear, where Owen had recovered from an injury, but Shola and Martins had been doing pretty well together. Kinnear was reluctant to put Owen in, but used the excuse that he lacked match fitness, when in fact I don't think he was convinced he was the best option. He used him as a sub for as long as he dared, before finally picking him for the Chelsea game. I can't help but feel that a little bit of momentum that was building up at that point, got lost.

I think a big problem over the last two years has been that certain managers haven't had the nerve to drop him, because of his reputation. I don't think Allardyce rated him, but never felt secure enough to dump him and face the inevitable outcry.

There was a point with Kinnear, where Owen had recovered from an injury, but Shola and Martins had been doing pretty well together. Kinnear was reluctant to put Owen in, but used the excuse that he lacked match fitness, when in fact I don't think he was convinced he was the best option. He used him as a sub for as long as he dared, before finally picking him for the Chelsea game. I can't help but feel that a little bit of momentum that was building up at that point, got lost.

same story for Butt really. Souness didn't rate him, Roeder brought him back, Allardyce brough in replacments but then lost his job, Keegan tried to get replacments, but failed, then in came Joe 'fucking best of 1998' Kinnear who rated him as our best midfielder

As a side note, I always find it funny that the pundits who call Owen 'a world class goalscorer' these days are the same ones who in 2004 were calling a 34 year old Alan Shearer the best english striker by a mile

same story for Butt really. Souness didn't rate him, Roeder brought him back, Allardyce brough in replacments but then lost his job, Keegan tried to get replacments, but failed, then in came Joe 'fucking best of 1998' Kinnear who rated him as our best midfielder

With different managers, opinions are always going to differ about certain players, and Butt is a good example. But if the players get the sense that the manager actually isn't strong enough to back his judgement and pick on merit, then you've got a problem. That really is corrosive to the morale of the manager as well as the team. Or to put it another way, if a manager proves that he has no favourites and isn't afraid to drop anyone, then that gives everyone a lift, because they know they'll be treated fairly.

Well, too late now.

Similar thing happened before with Kluivert and Bellamy looking a pretty promising partnership, only for a legless Shearer to walk straight back into the team and ensure that partnership never saw daylight.

Keep finding myself looking back and shaking my head in disbelief at just what we've done here in the past half decade or so. Players long past their best not only not being moved on, but actually gauranteed a first team spot with the team even being built around them in some cases. "Inferior" teammates not being given a fair run in the team even when they've earnt it, how pathetic is that? "Troublemakers" treated like garbage, pissed off, dropped or played out of position for the aforementioned has-beens, then sold without any hesitation when they've lashed out - even though these players were our only source of creativity, or pace, or flair.

Similar thing happened before with Kluivert and Bellamy looking a pretty promising partnership, only for a legless Shearer to walk straight back into the team and ensure that partnership never saw daylight.

Keep finding myself looking back and shaking my head in disbelief at just what we've done here in the past half decade or so. Players long past their best not only not being moved on, but actually gauranteed a first team spot with the team even being built around them in some cases. "Inferior" teammates not being given a fair run in the team even when they've earnt it, how pathetic is that? "Troublemakers" treated like garbage, pissed off, dropped or played out of position for the aforementioned has-beens, then sold without any hesitation when they've lashed out - even though these players were our only source of creativity, or pace, or flair.

don't fall for it folks...the bellamy kluivert partnership looked good on paper. never worked on the pitch.. as for troublemakers etc i can name plenty who have played out of position when needed and it's strange that that  troublemaker didn't whinge when played out of position at his previous clubs, his international club or at liverpool.....strange that ?

don't fall for it folks...the bellamy kluivert partnership looked good on paper. never worked on the pitch.. as for troublemakers etc i can name plenty who have played out of position when needed and it's strange that that  troublemaker didn't whinge when played out of position at his previous clubs, his international club or at liverpool.....strange that ?

never worked on the pitch?

Everton at home, Palace away, to give 2 examples. We looked a far better team with Kluivert and Bellamy up front. Bellamy had 10 goals by December, Kluivert finished on 13 despite only starting about 25. Had they played together all season we'd have finished top 6 imo

:lol: What am I, a spin doctor or something? There's nothing to "fall for" here, it's just an opinion, not a bag of tricks or a web of lies.

Re: The Bellamy Kluivert partnership, it was hardly given a chance to "not work". IIRC we had around two or three starts with them partnering each other, the Villa game where Shearer was dropped (can't remember if both scored) and the Palace game some months later, a game in which they bagged a goal each iirc away and linked up better then all the alternatives at the time. That was the one game where their performances together should have seen them keep their places (and I remember Bellamy hinting at this in his post-match interview), because until that point Shearer had been dogshit before injury allowed those two to be played together. Instead, Shearer came back after missing 11 or so games and unjustifiably walked straight back into the team. Not sure therefore how you can say it "never worked on the pitch".

As for the "trouble makers", what will naming people who've happily played out of position truly achieve? Does it negate the fact that certain managers have pissed off talented individuals by dropping them for, or playing them out of position for, inferior players who simply aren't performing or are quite simply shit, to the detriment of the team? There's a sense of deep injustice in that situation that I doubt you'll find in many of the situations where players are happy to play out of position.

N'Zogbia for example spent years playing second fiddle to an inferior player, constantly dropped whenever, in the eyes of the manager, the "superior" Duff was fit (what is it, 2 goals and 2/3 assists in the Premiership in amongst the buckload of useless performances during his 3 years so far?). That's not the same as Owen playing in midfield because he'd been hopeless up front, or playing wide in attack for Madrid because Ronaldo was the considerably better/more talented striker.

Against Villa we scored twice through Kluivert and O'brien, Bellamy played well that day iirc

One of the better outfield displays as well - post season 01/02 as well. We resembled a football team with the required passing/build-up play & movement that wasn't seen since. Definitely had the better of Villa in two thirds of the paddock. Our back four simply imploded that aftenoon.

Kluivert's first touch and link-up play across the central corridor complimented Bellamy's movement & pace in the wide channels. And Bellamy was becoming more of a threat through the middle, becoming more adept at reading the play and knowing when to ghost into the box off-the-ball. You can spot the this improvement with the increased number of bread & butter opportunities presented to him now, and prior to his departure here.

Kluivert-Bellamy should've been allowed to flourish, as opposed to the resulting emergence of the crack-strikeforce that was Shearer'Shola ie. nil movement, two statues simply occupying space/providing no outlets and a less than 50/50 receiving option further up the park.

Against Villa we scored twice through Kluivert and O'brien, Bellamy played well that day iirc

One of the better outfield displays as well - post season 01/02 as well. We resembled a football team with the required passing/build-up play & movement that wasn't seen since. Definitely had the better of Villa in two thirds of the paddock. Our back four simply imploded that aftenoon.

Kluivert's first touch and link-up play across the central corridor complimented Bellamy's movement & pace in the wide channels. And Bellamy was becoming more of a threat through the middle, becoming more adept at reading the play and knowing when to ghost into the box off-the-ball. You can spot the this improvement with the increased number of bread & butter opportunities presented to him now, and prior to his departure here.

Kluivert-Bellamy should've been allowed to flourish, as opposed to the resulting emergence of the crack-strikeforce that was Shearer'Shola ie. nil movement, two statues simply occupying space/providing no outlets and a less than 50/50 receiving option further up the park.

indeed, and with that we saw a team who'd peviously finished in 5th go to 13th

i was there, kluiverts touches were canny but his movemnet was worse than shearers, there was nothing between kluivert and bellamy to make me think there was a future for them together.. our midfield performed well when it had the ball but done nothing without it....plus ca change.

Kluivert was one of the best players I've ever seen with his back to goal and linking up the play. Shame he had lost his motivation by the time he came here. I think he would have done well under SBR if he had stayed, however under Souness his weight just ballooned and he wasn't interested at all. His goal scoring record wasn't bad mind.

i was there, kluiverts touches were canny but his movemnet was worse than shearers, there was nothing between kluivert and bellamy to make me think there was a future for them together.. our midfield performed well when it had the ball but done nothing without it....plus ca change.

they were our best two strikers by considerable distance, they should have been given a chance together and we paid massively when they were denied it

Guest toonlass

Has this leach gone yet?

Probably not. He is probably sat on a beach in Cancun counting the cash we are paying him for each minute he is topping up his tan.

Kluivert was one of the best players I've ever seen with his back to goal and linking up the play. Shame he had lost his motivation by the time he came here. I think he would have done well under SBR if he had stayed, however under Souness his weight just ballooned and he wasn't interested at all. His goal scoring record wasn't bad mind.

I was so excited when we signed Kluivert, and in the odd flick here and there he could show why. Ones that spring to mind are the goal against Palace and the assist for Bellamy against Everton. Like you say though, I just don't think he was interested and iirc his goal scoring record was dramatically skewed by a number of goals against weak opposition in the waffa (4 against Bnei Sakhnin?)

If Kluivert was so good how come his career died on it's arse after Barcelona got rid of him? Barcelona got rid of him when he was well passed his best. The Barcelona fans didn't like him in the last year or so of his time there.

Well, and only slightly in K-mans defence. He did arrive to a team that had their manager sacked after 4 games and were then to be managed by Souness who managed to change NUFC from a half decent footballing side to clunky grinders at best.