Michael Owen gets injured; rejoice!

Willow

I was reading a book on this topic earlier. "Why England Lose and Other Curious Phenomena Explained". The reason for our 'relative' decline in quality and perhaps future decline is because:

1) There are not enough foreigners in English football

2) The Premiership and Europe are too competitive and not enough English players play abroad.

3) Football is a working class sport and economic prosperity has created a large lower-middle class, reducing the potential pool of England players.

4) Footballers in this country focus only on football in their youth and don't get a good enough education otherwise, you can be smart and play football, Bergkamp, Gullit, Tostao etc.

Well I forgot about Spain but yes and no.

Torres and Villa are possibly the best two strikers around but there's no-one else beyond that. The range of options England have, is better than anyone else.

Yeah, England's options up front is much better than Messi, Tevez, Aguero and Milito or Ribery, Anelka, Benzema and Henry.

I did say apart from the Argies but Messi and Aguero aren't strikers. You may as well include Lampard and Gerrard then as they're attacking midfielders.

Tevez? Couldn't get a game at Man U ahead of England's Wayne Rooney? Milito? No better than Defoe.

:lol: :lol:

Messi plays as a forward in a front 3 and Aguero is a striker.  No, you cannot compare them to 2 central midfielders.

Milito no better than Defoe?!  :frantic:

By the end of the season everyone will be talking about Defoe and Bent as new options for Capello's world cup squad while Owen will be nursing some injury or the other.

For comfort his mum will read his brand values to him while sitting at his bed side. "Your still good looking Michael, and no one can ever take that away from you. EVER"

Defoe is nailed on for it now. It'll be him, Rooney, Heskey, Walcott and Crouch. Bent is a possiblity

Michael Owen WILL make the World Cup squad.

now that one isn't getting a bite  :lol:

Do you honestly think he won't?

Like it or not he'll score goals for Man U and if you play for Man U then you'll make the England squad just for that.

If he's fit, he'll be at the World Cup. Of course that's no guarantee in itself.

Capello wont pick him ahead of Defoe, Rooney, Crouch or Walcott. All are clearly better players. Bent will have a good season and Heskey brings a different set of attributes.

Owen wont be anywhere near, he's a waste of man.

Torres and Villa are possibly the best two strikers around but there's no-one else beyond that. The range of options England have, is better than anyone else.

Yeah, England's options up front is much better than Messi, Tevez, Aguero and Milito or Ribery, Anelka, Benzema and Henry.

I did say apart from the Argies but Messi and Aguero aren't strikers. You may as well include Lampard and Gerrard then as they're attacking midfielders.

Tevez? Couldn't get a game at Man U ahead of England's Wayne Rooney? Milito? No better than Defoe.

Messi plays as a forward in a front 3 and Aguero is a striker.  No, you cannot compare them to 2 central midfielders.

You're wrong.

Lampard and Gerrard aren't central midfielders, they're attacking midfielders. Gerrard plays off Torres for Liverpool, they aren't in the middle of 4-4-2 players. Lampard always plays in front of Essien and Mikel.

Messi is not a striker. He's an attacking midfielder and so is Aguero.

As for Milito, he was at Genoa last season.

I think perhaps Owen is my most hated ex player. I can't think of too many I have disliked after they left. Andy Cole after the singing thing, never liked Kenny Sansom after using us as a stepping stone to get his career back on course, Jenas for the goldfish bowl. Gazza at the time of his move to spuds, I can still remeber the atomoshere and the mars bars on his return to SJP in spurs colours, but I didn't hold any long term grudge. Given for engineering his move when we needed him most. Bassong for just being a twat after we gave him his chance. Duff for being such a waste of space. But Owen's on a different level to all of them, the hate I feel towards him is scary, he's in the right place at Manure, I despise everything about that club, especially that twat of a manager.

Sorry just had to get that off my chest.

Who else do they have up front?

Anelka - never really done it for France

Henry - That's one i'll give you

Benzema - Good player but you wouldn't swap him for Rooney.

And beyond them 3 who do France have?

I would.

For once though, you do have a semblance of a point. Defoe is not much behind Milito if at all. And the Argies are too lightweight, they will fail again if they play a decent northern European team who's defence will physically bully them.

Who else do they have up front?

Anelka - never really done it for France

Henry - That's one i'll give you

Benzema - Good player but you wouldn't swap him for Rooney.

And beyond them 3 who do France have?

I would.

For once though, you do have a semblance of a point. Defoe is not much behind Milito if at all. And the Argies are too lightweight, they will fail again if they play a decent northern European team who's defence will physically bully them.

That's being kind. I'd be surprised if Argentina even qualify with Maradona in charge. Even Kinnear would do better.

I was reading a book on this topic earlier. "Why England Lose and Other Curious Phenomena Explained". The reason for our 'relative' decline in quality and perhaps future decline is because:

2) The Premiership and Europe are too competitive and not enough English players play abroad.

3) Football is a working class sport and economic prosperity has created a large lower-middle class, reducing the potential pool of England players.

4) Footballers in this country focus only on football in their youth and don't get a good enough education otherwise, you can be smart and play football, Bergkamp, Gullit, Tostao etc.

i've read great things about this book; where did you get it from?

Guest neesy111

remember it's now 7 months since a competitive goal for him now, if ppl think he's good enough for england still need their head checking

he's got no pace, no confidence, no fitness and need's around 5 decent chances to score even 1 goal

man utd have got serious problems, apart from rooney they have no players I would call class in their strikers and midfield, even arsenal's midfield and striker's look better on paper imo

they might still challenge for the title, but they will struggle big time in europe

Guest elbee909

1 goal in his last 20 league games

but a great goalscorer, all the same

He'll be found out properly this season.

Guest The Libertine

Why are people still going on about this cunt?. The guy is a Man U player now an d I hope he rots in hell the fucking little parasite, as far as I can see  he's got his money and ran.

for that, blame the person who gave him the contract. on and off the pitch is a completely different world.

Guest firetotheworks

"There are not enough foreigners in English football"

Which red wine supping idiot is responsible for that stupid assertion?

I was thinking that too, the other suggestions are fairly possible though, especially the one about not enough English players playing abroad.

Guest helios_centric

I'm not sure about point 1 above, but point 3 smacks the nail right on the head as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for pointing that book out, I think I will have to buy it now.

"There are not enough foreigners in English football"

Which red wine supping idiot is responsible for that stupid assertion?

I was thinking that too, the other suggestions are fairly possible though, especially the one about not enough English players playing abroad.

It's all based on statistics, so it's largely guff.

The only bad thing about the Burnley result is having to watch Man U fans acting like martyrs on facebook, telling each other to "Keep the faith" and "Keep the red flag flying."

Poor buggers, ey, must be a hard life following Man U  :rolleyes:

Why are people still going on about this c***?. The guy is a Man U player now an d I hope he rots in hell the f***ing little parasite, as far as I can see  he's got his money and ran.

for that, blame the person who gave him the contract. on and off the pitch is a completely different world.

No arguments there.

You're wrong.

Lampard and Gerrard aren't central midfielders, they're attacking midfielders. Gerrard plays off Torres for Liverpool, they aren't in the middle of 4-4-2 players. Lampard always plays in front of Essien and Mikel.

Messi is not a striker. He's an attacking midfielder and so is Aguero.

As for Milito, he was at Genoa last season.

You're just coming accross as the pro english, ignorant towards other leagues stereotype.

Genoa finished 5th last season and Milito scored 24 goals in 31 matches.  Where was Defoe? At struggling Portsmouth and Tottenham sides.

You're also trying to say Aguero (trust me, he's a striker :kinnear:) and Messi, who's a forward, play in the same positions as Gerrard and Lampard.