Michael Owen gets injured; rejoice!

Willow

We all know he doesn't do it against the good defences, his record in the euros and the world cups post 1998 is appalling man.

To take him ahead of Darrent Bent, Crouch or Walcott would be criminal

walcott hasnt done anything to deserve selection, like the last time. i wouldnt even say he's improved since arsenal bought him.

Ofcourse he's improved, he's done loads to justify selection in comparison to last time. Hes been injured recently so hes been out of the news for a while thats all.

Yeh, but you know how it is, if somebody doesn't get a bumming/mention from MOTD for a while he is no longer a good player, so fickle, that isn't aimed at The Libertine, just fickle people in general who don't look at the bigger picture.

Guest The Libertine

We all know he doesn't do it against the good defences, his record in the euros and the world cups post 1998 is appalling man.

To take him ahead of Darrent Bent, Crouch or Walcott would be criminal

walcott hasnt done anything to deserve selection, like the last time. i wouldnt even say he's improved since arsenal bought him.

Ofcourse he's improved, he's done loads to justify selection in comparison to last time. Hes been injured recently so hes been out of the news for a while thats all.

his goal record for arsenal isnt great considering and im guessing (cant find any stats) his assist record isnt all that great either. almost everytime ive seen him he just seems to be a mini jonas, all effort and little end product.

Scores 1 league goal and is full of it, horrible little prick

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/95171/That-ll-teach-you-to-write-me-off/

self obsessed cunt. during our relegation fight he was harping on about statistics and shots to goals ratio during his 12 game goalless run, probably contributing less to the cause than any other outfield player at the time. obviously protecting his reputation was more important than actually helping his team. sorry michael, you might've scored your first goal in 8 months but you'll never live down how utter shite, heartless and pathetic you were last season.

Guest Heneage

If I was him I'd have waited to score a more meaningful goal, and even then I'd not have said "Don't write me off" He could do his ligaments in training tomorrow.

Saw the goal, and to be fair, it was a brilliant finish. Great technique and composure. Do think him not working out with us has a lot to do with our style of play since Keegan left, and if Man u can continue to provide him with the kind of assist he got on saturday, then I can see owen's name on the scoresheet more often.

Owen's goal was by no means the most impressive of the five. He also came on when Wigan were already well beaten. Yet he's the one who's getting the headlines.

That kind of thing is going to become a serious irritant to his team mates.

so not only does he have to score the best goal of the game it also has to be the winner? the last line is bollocks too.

tough crowd.

My point was that if you're going to get the headlines, you should earn them. It wasn't that great a goal and it came against a side that was already well beaten. What's more, the defender (guess who) made it much easier for him by not staying on his feet like he should have done. If it had been any other striker, no-one would be taking any notice.

The whole circus surrounding Owen is liable to affect the focus not only of the players, but the manager as well. If you're 3-0 up with 20 minutes to go, surely that's the time to pitch in a youngster to give him some experience. If Owen's worth having, you should either start him, or bring him on when you're in trouble. It's interesting that the only league game that Owen has started, Man U have lost. To Burnley.

Guest neesy111

Man U score 5 goals and Owen only scores one of them. Big fookin deal! Owen has not proved anything yet!

exactly, remember his record against the big teams is shocking, even shola has a better record than he has

as soon as chelsea etc play them, owen will be marked out of the game simple as

Aye.  Yeah he'll nick a goal here and there playing against a defence where he's getting 5 yards of space and time to make runs, but against good teams he'll be anonymous and made to look a wee boy.

No way in hell will he do enough to make Capello select him for the World Cup.

Man U score 5 goals and Owen only scores one of them. Big fookin deal! Owen has not proved anything yet!

exactly, remember his record against the big teams is shocking, even shola has a better record than he has

as soon as chelsea etc play them, owen will be marked out of the game simple as

Aye. Owen hasn't been a match-winner since he did his hamstring the first time at the end of 2001. He never regained his full pace or fearlessness.

Tbh, I wouldn't expect him to play against Chelsea etc. I figure he's just backup.

• 4 weeks later...

We need a Matty Pattison thread. His career has rocketed since Roeder took him to Norwich.

He's back in South Africa, playing for one of the biggest teams there, with a chance to go to the World Cup.

We need a Matty Pattison thread. His career has rocketed since Roeder took him to Norwich.

He's back in South Africa, playing for one of the biggest teams there, with a chance to go to the World Cup.

One of the biggest teams in SA! Sounds great.  There's always loads of crap players at the WC, this one will be no different.