Michael Owen gets injured; rejoice!

Willow

If Kluivert was so good how come his career died on it's arse after Barcelona got rid of him? Barcelona got rid of him when he was well passed his best. The Barcelona fans didn't like him in the last year or so of his time there.

Yes but he was also shit after he left Newcastle. Same as Viana. People say they'll be great when they leave us and they are actually just as shit elsewhere.

Everton to offer Michael Owen a £50,000-a-week escape route from Newcastle

By Alan Nixon 2/06/2009

Everton boss David Moyes is offering Michael Owen a £50,000a-week contract to make a dramatic return to Merseyside.

Moyes has been given the cash backing from chairman Bill Kenwright to sign the former England striker, who is keen to come back and play in the area following his nightmare at Newcastle United.

Talks have begun, the package has been put to Owen and the signs point to the one-time Liverpool idol saying "yes" to Everton in the very near future.

Owen was on a staggering £120,000-a-week contract on Tyneside, but those days have long gone as he has struggled for fitness and form over the past three seasons.

The one-time England centre forward knows he will have to settle for less, and Everton's deal looks the best financially - and also in several other ways.

Owen has his home nearby and his booming horse-racing interests are also based locally. But, above all, this is a football opportunity for him. Everton are in Europe and pushing to break into the Big Four.

He would also have a chance to play under Moyes and even get back into England contention with a World Cup just a year away. Moyes can go for Owen within his budget as there is no fee.

He would become one of the club's top earners but this is a special case and would not disrupt the dressing room at Everton, who are not over-blessed with experienced strikers.

Love the "escape route from Newcastle" line. Journalist's should know Owen doesn't need to 'escape' as his contract is about to expire. £50K a week for Owen? He's not worth it Everton.

Everton to offer Michael Owen a £50,000-a-week escape route from Newcastle

By Alan Nixon 2/06/2009

Everton boss David Moyes is offering Michael Owen a £50,000a-week contract to make a dramatic return to Merseyside.

Moyes has been given the cash backing from chairman Bill Kenwright to sign the former England striker, who is keen to come back and play in the area following his nightmare at Newcastle United.

Talks have begun, the package has been put to Owen and the signs point to the one-time Liverpool idol saying "yes" to Everton in the very near future.

Owen was on a staggering £120,000-a-week contract on Tyneside, but those days have long gone as he has struggled for fitness and form over the past three seasons.

The one-time England centre forward knows he will have to settle for less, and Everton's deal looks the best financially - and also in several other ways.

Owen has his home nearby and his booming horse-racing interests are also based locally. But, above all, this is a football opportunity for him. Everton are in Europe and pushing to break into the Big Four.

He would also have a chance to play under Moyes and even get back into England contention with a World Cup just a year away. Moyes can go for Owen within his budget as there is no fee.

He would become one of the club's top earners but this is a special case and would not disrupt the dressing room at Everton, who are not over-blessed with experienced strikers.

Love the "escape route from Newcastle" line. Journalist's should know Owen doesn't need to 'escape' as his contract is about to expire. £50K a week for Owen? He's not worth it Everton.

Fuck it!. If Everton want him they can gladly take the waste of space.

Kluivert was rejected by us, what the fuck does that do to a 28 year old's career when he's gets dumped by a team which retained Butt, Car and Ameobi at the end of that same season

miracle the poor bloke didn't drive off the Tyne Bridge

Kluivert was rejected by us, what the fuck does that do to a 28 year old's career when he's gets dumped by a team which retained Butt, Car and Ameobi at the end of that same season

I'm pretty sure he turned us down as he had a clause in his contract saying he didn't have to extend if we didn't finish top 10.

Kluivert was rejected by us, what the f*** does that do to a 28 year old's career when he's gets dumped by a team which retained Butt, Car and Ameobi at the end of that same season

I'm pretty sure he turned us down as he had a clause in his contract saying he didn't have to extend if we didn't finish top 10.

I think it was pretty mutual between the two actually.

Even if he wanted to stay we would not have let him, he didn't seem popular amongst the management. 

Guest Phil K

Shearer had a lot more minutes under his belt though iirc.

He had ONE big injury

Owen has milked every little bump.

He's been an absolute disgrace.

I just hope he's an absolute disaster at Everton.

The lure of waving a sick note won't be resisted long.

He did it at Liverpool last season there, did it at Real, and done it here.

Too often to be all genuine. My guess is he'll do the biz for the first 3-4 months, then it'll start.

He had ONE big injury

Too often to be all genuine. My guess is he'll do the biz for the first 3-4 months, then it'll start.

Some of your posts the last few days buddy have been so paranoid, relax a bit more and accept it. 

He has had one big injury his career?  Thats kind of ridiculous ask yourself why? 

He gets a shitload in appearance fee's has a 1 in goal scoring record his entire career why would be want to be in physios room.  Requires spending more time at the club than anyone who is fit. 

Im sure when he gets treatment, hospital scans and the like the medical staff at the hospital and club can back up your claim!

Guest Phil K

He had ONE big injury

Some of your posts the last few days buddy have been so paranoid, relax a bit more and accept it. 

He has had one big injury his career?  Thats kind of ridiculous ask yourself why? 

He gets a shitload in appearance fee's has a 1 in goal scoring record his entire career why would be want to be in physios room.  Requires spending more time at the club than anyone who is fit. 

Im sure when he gets treatment, hospital scans and the like the medical staff at the hospital and club can back up your claim!

Paranoid ?

Little over-reaction from YOU I'd say

So - Owen's played more often than not, right ? The figures lie, right ?

He DIDN'T spend most of his time at Real on the sick list ?

Whats a "1 in goal scoring record" ? Scored once in half a season ? I suppose thats what he did at the end for us. Even Shola did better.

Owen spent too much time helicoptering up here, and not enough time on the pitch in his time here

Believe what YOU want (and ignore the long absenses during his time) I'll believe the opposite.

"I'm sure when he gets treatment"

What do you think he's been getting in the last 3 seasons ? Witch doctors ?

I really like Everton. Think it would be a mistake for them going for Owen. However, I guess the fact that he is free and he is willing to take a substantial cut in wages is attractive for them and they probably feel he will raise their profile somewhat.

On the pitch however, I think they could do with a more dynamic striker to play alongside the Yak, which brings the best out of him.

I would rather play Cahill or Fellaini just behind Yakubu as they did this season rather than play Owen alongside Yakubu. If they want to go to a more conventional 4-4-2 next season I think they could do better.

Just as an example they could go for someone more in the mould of the striker on loan at West Brom who did quite well for them this past season, Fortune. Wouldn't be at all expensive either. Yakubu would play really well off him as Fortune is big, fast and strong and does a decent job of holding up the ball and battling, also scored some goals too. The Yak would thrive off that as he doesn't particulalry like doing the dirty work.

He had ONE big injury

Paranoid ?

Little over-reaction from YOU I'd say

So - Owen's played more often than not, right ? The figures lie, right ?

He DIDN'T spend most of his time at Real on the sick list ?

Whats a "1 in goal scoring record" ? Scored once in half a season ? I suppose thats what he did at the end for us. Even Shola did better.

Owen spent too much time helicoptering up here, and not enough time on the pitch in his time here

Believe what YOU want (and ignore the long absenses during his time) I'll believe the opposite.

"I'm sure when he gets treatment"

What do you think he's been getting in the last 3 seasons ? Witch doctors ?

You suggested he had 1 big injury and faked/exaggerated all the rest.  It's quite ludicrous buddy tbh.

Why and how buddy?

He sees phyios who are obviously qualified and tell a fake from an authentic injury(or should do!).

His injurys stopped him from playing .. there is absolutely not one single reason why he would not want to play.

Like i say he has appearance fees to be gained from playing, playing bonuses, sponsorship deals, his England career prospects.

Plus when your injured your at the training ground more than anyone else, why just why would you think that?

Guest Phil K

I DON'T like Everton, mainly due to their inexplicable attitude to NUFC.

That said, I agree that Owen may - just may - be a dodgy signing for them.

They've got no real "stars" - everyone pulling together.

I noticed some amusement though when they've talked about Owen, they've made it known that a  contract would have playing considerations included. The last time I saw this was when Man City insisted on it when Howey signed for them - Howey whose sick record was as bad as Marcellino and Dyer, never mind Owen. AND they were offering half what he's on here.

You suggested he had 1 big injury and faked/exaggerated all the rest.  It's quite ludicrous buddy tbh.

Why and how buddy?

He sees phyios who are obviously qualified and tell a fake from an authentic injury(or should do!).

His injurys stopped him from playing .. there is absolutely not one single reason why he would not want to play.

Like i say he has appearance fees to be gained from playing, playing bonuses, sponsorship deals, his England career prospects.

Plus when your injured your at the training ground more than anyone else, why just why would you think that?

I suggested SHEARER was the one who had "one big injury" - read something before commenting on it.

Owen has had a variety. I was first suspicious when his comments to Ericsson was followed shortly after by another long term sick leave, then just before the world cup he makes an appearance.

Not saying he invents injuries - I'm saying he's fond of waving sick notes. Lets just say he's not averse to sitting with his feet up whilst others would be ready or WANT to play.

And if you believe this doesn't happen, then gullibility is your strong point.

Besides, it's all hypothetical. He's on his way out. He's a player of another club. Or will be.

I have a sneaky feeling he would end up somewhere like AC Milan

He won't leave this country because of his horse racing.

I think he might end up at City, they might be pre-pared to pay for his wages and fall for the "big name" hype.

Guest Phil K

They'd take one look at his injury record, and that would be enough.

Interesting. I actually think the Italian league would suit him the most at this stage in his career. A league of older players which is much slower than the other top leagues.

They'd take one look at his injury record, and that would be enough.

Didnt stop them from getting Ronaldo and they gamble on out of form players like Ronaldinho, Shevchenko

The decision to make Owen captain together with our form in the first dozen games after he was appointed manager shows just how far out of touch with football Keegan was when he came back a year past January.

completely agree with this. More embarrassing was when Kinnear came in and declared 'Michael Owen is the best player at this club'  :lol:

The decision to make Owen captain together with our form in the first dozen games after he was appointed manager shows just how far out of touch with football Keegan was when he came back a year past January.

Got him playing the best football of his career here though.

Pretty sure you're just fishing mind :lol:

I know I can't really back up this following statement, but in my opinion ...

If Owen isn't captain and say Beye or even Butt was I believe we stay up. We missed staying up by one point. I believe a more vocal and instructive leader would have at least got one more point for us this season in one of the many close calls we had when we just needed that extra push.

How demoralising it must have been to see the club captain so quiet, sour faced and dejected when were struggling.