Would you take Bellamy back?

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

courtesy of the new person running the club who in your opinion is "better" than the last fat bastard ?

I presume this is the case, as you have never admitted that its all been a huge step backwards ?

Now's your chance to tell us if you do have a different view mind.

That's what you replied to him, after he'd said nowt about anything bar Bellamy's fitness and his apparent valuation. It wasn't him talking about the old board on this occasion was it. I think it's fair to say it's you causing potential trouble there.

For what it's worth I do tend to think Ozzie was looking for bites from you with what he's been posting in here, to be honest, but then really what the fuck is new there?

It's unfortunately what he appears to do most of the time in the football forum.

so why tell me that "I'm starting it" ?

Not that I can't prove the likes of Ozzie talks rubbish, its been done numerous times already.

To keep with the topic, I think Bellamy is well worth a fee like has been mentioned as its a weak part of the team, and has been since he left. We are in the shit, and ANY good player could make the difference, and to put a price on survival is simply absurd. But thats the Ashley way of doing things, an attitude which seems to have engulfed people in our support. An equally absurd way of looking at it from the point of view of a club with the support that NUFC have.

He might get injured, but unless someone else equally as good who is guaranteed to stay fit becomes available, you tell me who that could be, bearing in mind such a player would undoubtedly cost more money [which I personally would pay if it were up to me].

Are you taking the piss? I've already said in two separate posts now that it's not about Ozzie on this occasion (for the reasons I've outlined to him and he's refuted), it's about bobyule and Mick, who didn't say anything that should have offended you in their posts and who you jumped on with non-contributive posts that were simply looking for a fight and nowt else.

That is where the "starting it" bit came from. I do get the feeling that you know this, though, and you're just making a monkey out of me by making me stay up at this ridiculous hour to "explain" it to you. If that is the case, then it's a fucking joke as well.

To keep with the topic, I think Bellamy is well worth a fee like has been mentioned as its a weak part of the team, and has been since he left. We are in the shit, and ANY good player could make the difference, and to put a price on survival is simply absurd. But thats the Ashley way of doing things, an attitude which seems to have engulfed people in our support. An equally absurd way of looking at it from the point of view of a club with the support that NUFC have.

He might get injured, but unless someone else equally as good who is guaranteed to stay fit becomes available, you tell me who that could be, bearing in mind such a player would undoubtedly cost more money [which I personally would pay if it were up to me].

I agree with all of that, as well, not that it really makes any difference.

For what it's worth I do tend to think Ozzie was looking for bites from you with what he's been posting in here, to be honest, but then really what the fuck is new there?

It's unfortunately what he appears to do most of the time in the football forum.

To be honest, I was just saying what I think when asked the question in the thread header.

Sorry, like.

Apologies if that is genuinely the case, but it's the impression I get from you the majority of the time in here, whereas in Gen Chat you make fantastic posts like the one about Morocco earlier on.

:dontknow:

Apology accepted. My posts on Bellamy here may sound a bit sarcastic, because they are, but I am trying to make a point too, and it's a point that I often try to make in a roundabout way -- that we spend far too much time living in the past and mooning around wishfully over long-departed players and managers. Bellamy is history. He should stay that way.

Morocco... well, I was in a position to be helpful, so I tried to be. Different kind of discussion.

End of the day if by some miraculous luck we get £5m to spend in the Jan window from Ashley, lets not blow it on a crock in a position we do not need.

Call me an incurable optimist, but we may be one of the few clubs with cash in hand to spend in the transfer window. We could be in a very good position to prey on the poor and needy (eg West Ham)

you like your "ifs" and "coulds" don't you

Here's another example of a confrontational post that offers nothing to the discussion and is simply goading Bob, who's said absolutely nothing towards you at all in this thread.

It's nowt to do with "backing the person who is wrong", it's a lot to do with being civil and courteous towards other people when you're a grown man. I don't come on here or spend hours of my time trying to make this place work properly for people to be at each other's necks all of the time, it's infuriating.

People have been talking about Mike Ashley ever since he came here about "could do this", and "might to that". He's shown - long before now - that it simply isn't the case, so why do people keep saying it ?

And for what its worth, its not "goading" at all, its stating how I see it. If you or anyone else still seriously thinks that Mike Ashley has any good interests in this club then I find it laughable and fantastically naive.

They also shouldn't take posts so seriously. Going for a pint and actually talking to people keeps things in perspective, IMO.

To be honest, I was just saying what I think when asked the question in the thread header.

Sorry, like.

Apologies if that is genuinely the case, but it's the impression I get from you the majority of the time in here, whereas in Gen Chat you make fantastic posts like the one about Morocco earlier on.

Apology accepted. My posts on Bellamy here may sound a bit sarcastic, because they are, but I am trying to make a point too, and it's a point that I often try to make in a roundabout way -- that we spend far too much time living in the past and mooning around wishfully over long-departed players and managers. Bellamy is history. He should stay that way.

The idea is to learn from history.

Were you against Peter Beardsley coming back, by the way ?

Sorry, like.

Morocco... well, I was in a position to be helpful, so I tried to be. Different kind of discussion.

That's fair enough as well, I don't see how anybody could honestly dispute that as any sort of ridiculous opinion or perspective, although I would argue that it's sort of inbuilt into us as Newcastle supporters and it's inbuilt into the club in the way that players/managers always seem to come back, by hook or by crook.

Obviously simply because it happens doesn't mean it's right or that it will "work" for us, but I genuinely believe it's part of the romance of being a NUFC fan and I'm not sure I would want to swap it for a less emotional, more robotic approach, despite it often being the cause of most of our woes.

I admire the fact that you can distance yourself enough emotionally from the club to have that sort of opinion, like, as I'm not sure I'm quite mature enough/experienced enough to do it myself.

Honestly, with you two it's just about a completely opposite way of looking at things and way of evaluating things that mean a personality clash is unavoidable. This isn't helped by the fact that both of you can be unbearable arseholes at times - especially with each other.

Suppose things would be boring if everyone got along all of the time like, but do the pair of you (and others) really need to be so fucking awful to each other all of the time? We all have our moments on here, but I think it's easy to see that this "NE5, UV, HTL, etc. versus Mick, Ozzie, fredbob, etc." thing has spiralled out of all proportion and is now to the detriment of the forum as a whole.

It can't be healthy. :doh:

Sorry, like.

No, that worked out good, but there were different factors at play -- the existing relationship between him and Keegan and how that overlapping history translated into an extremely effective communication between bench and pitch regarding a particular style of play, which was to some extent influenced by both players' experience at Liverpool.

Even if Bellamy a) wasn't so plagued by injury that he's been sleeping in a high-altitude tent, b) wasn't currently in very poor goal-scoring form and b) didn't already have a soured and divisive relationship to the club, I'd also doubt whether Joe "Crazy Gang" Kinnear was the right manager to get the best out of him.

Sorry, like.

No, that worked out good, but there were different factors at play -- the existing relationship between him and Keegan and how that overlapping history translated into an extremely effective communication between bench and pitch regarding a particular style of play, which was to some extent influenced by both players' experience at Liverpool.

Even if Bellamy a) wasn't so plagued by injury that he's been sleeping in a high-altitude tent, b) wasn't currently in very poor goal-scoring form and b) didn't already have a soured and divisive relationship to the club, I'd also doubt whether Joe "Crazy Gang" Kinnear was the right manager to get the best out of him.

it might not have worked out. And Bellamy might work out. You can't tell. This isn't about hindsight, its about making a decision. What do you think ? A 29 year old footballer isn't old.

The fact is, we need strengthening, and we have to get the best players possible. If a younger player isn't available who is better and we could get him, why would you say no ?

Sorry, like.

That's fair enough as well, I don't see how anybody could honestly dispute that as any sort of ridiculous opinion or perspective, although I would argue that it's sort of inbuilt into us as Newcastle supporters and it's inbuilt into the club in the way that players/managers always seem to come back, by hook or by crook.

Obviously simply because it happens doesn't mean it's right or that it will "work" for us, but I genuinely believe it's part of the romance of being a NUFC fan and I'm not sure I would want to swap it for a less emotional, more robotic approach, despite it often being the cause of most of our woes.

I admire the fact that you can distance yourself enough emotionally from the club to have that sort of opinion, like, as I'm not sure I'm quite mature enough/experienced enough to do it myself.

Upthread somewhere I think I used a "girlfriend" analogy. In normal life we all have to learn how to let things go, say "Well it was good while it lasted" and move on. Remaining stuck on a lost love simply isn't healthy. The attitude you describe may well be hard-wired into the romance of being a Toon fan, but if so I'd say it was one of the club's problems. Most of the other fans I speak to -- family and old friends, rather than people on here -- have similar attitudes to my own, though.

Sorry, like.

it might not have worked out. And Bellamy might work out. You can't tell. This isn't about hindsight, its about making a decision. What do you think ? A 29 year old footballer isn't old.

The fact is, we need strengthening, and we have to get the best players possible. If a younger player isn't available who is better and we could get him, why would you say no ?

I think it's clear I think he's not a player we need at the moment. There are four specific reasons why in the post you quote. A fifth would be that his position is not one of those that needs strengthening as a priority right now.

Why would he come here at the moment anyway?

Sorry, like.

Upthread somewhere I think I used a "girlfriend" analogy. In normal life we all have to learn how to let things go, say "Well it was good while it lasted" and move on. Remaining stuck on a lost love simply isn't healthy. The attitude you describe may well be hard-wired into the romance of being a Toon fan, but if so I'd say it was one of the club's problems. Most of the other fans I speak to -- family and old friends, rather than people on here -- have similar attitudes to my own, though.

It's different for me, to be honest, and I'd imagine it's different for NE5 as well based on his perspectives on things.

All the lads I talk to about the game reminisce about the "good times", like we've been doing in the thread of the same name on here and the likes of my Granddad and my Dad always hark back to the same sort of times and wish that the same people could be involved and the same effect could occur (Keegan, Shearer, etc.)

I tend to agree that it can be a major problem for the club but when harnessed correctly - as has been the case with Keegan in particular on two occasions now (no matter how brief the second was) - it can be the thing that pushes us on and makes us the best that we can be.

As with most things I don't think the issue resides at one end of the see-saw, it's more like somewhere in the middle.

This topic is a fascinating one, though, and one that you're never going to get everyone agreeing on as it goes far deeper into things such as sociology, psychology, history and emotions than most other topics do. It takes some brains to be able to debate it effectively, basically, and a hell of a lot of time as well. It's one of those things that you can only really philosophise over yourself or talk to with your closest mates (who can actually think along the same lines) about and it's something (like most things regarding NUFC) that we, as individuals, cannot really do anything about - and is probably why things get so heated when discussing it/writing about it, as it comes bundled with a lot of frustration.

The whole thing is a massive headfuck, basically, much like anything else that matters in life. I have to say I'm definitely a lot happier since I accepted the fact I cannot change anything regarding NUFC and I just tend to roll with the punches a bit now. Still get that aching in the gut though when things like Keegan-gate occur or when we throw away a 2-0 lead against one of the worst top-flight teams I've ever seen in the flesh (bear in mind I'm a young 'un.)

Sorry, like.

It's different for me, to be honest, and I'd imagine it's different for NE5 as well based on his perspectives on things.

All the lads I talk to about the game reminisce about the "good times", like we've been doing in the thread of the same name on here and the likes of my Granddad and my Dad always hark back to the same sort of times and wish that the same people could be involved and the same effect could occur (Keegan, Shearer, etc.)

I tend to agree that it can be a major problem for the club but when harnessed correctly - as has been the case with Keegan in particular on two occasions now (no matter how brief the second was) - it can be the thing that pushes us on and makes us the best that we can be.

As with most things I don't think the issue resides at one end of the see-saw, it's more like somewhere in the middle.

This topic is a fascinating one, though, and one that you're never going to get everyone agreeing on as it goes far deeper into things such as sociology, psychology, history and emotions than most other topics do. It takes some brains to be able to debate it effectively, basically, and a hell of a lot of time as well. It's one of those things that you can only really philosophise over yourself or talk to with your closest mates (who can actually think along the same lines) about and it's something (like most things regarding NUFC) that we, as individuals, cannot really do anything about - and is probably why things get so heated when discussing it/writing about it, as it comes bundled with a lot of frustration.

The whole thing is a massive headfuck, basically, much like anything else that matters in life. I have to say I'm definitely a lot happier since I accepted the fact I cannot change anything regarding NUFC and I just tend to roll with the punches a bit now. Still get that aching in the gut though when things like Keegan-gate occur or when we throw away a 2-0 lead against one of the worst top-flight teams I've ever seen in the flesh (bear in mind I'm a young 'un.)

One big difference for me is that my dad was a Liverpool supporter, my Geordie mam didn't care about football, and there were no Geordie uncles or grandparents about. I therefore didn't hear much reminiscing about the club that my brother and I decided to support, and given that my old man had a tendency to crow long and loud about scouser successes (depressingly frequent in those days), discussion of football in our house was always a kind of war.

I also don't live in Newcastle and haven't for a long time. My conversations about the club are usually long-distance phone calls and focussed on what's happening right now. Meanwhile, I don't know a single Newcastle fan in the city where I live, and the lack of anyone to share this interest is the main reason I come on here.

That's all fair enough and explains a lot really, refreshing to see an honest picture of where someone has come from and why they're here too.

It does fascinate me how our environment and those around us influence our opinions on everything. My identity with football has always been a regional thing and because everyone at school was Newcastle, I was never really pressed into it and the family I speak of weren't exactly football-daft or season ticket holders, though my Granddad used to be a regular back in the day. Most of my family - especially the serious football heads - are Sunderland fans as my Mam's side was from Jarrow.

That's probably why I can see both sides, I would imagine, as I haven't been brought up in a dogmatic "Newcastle, Newcastle, Newcastle" environment and I was never forced into following NUFC, it just sort of happened because of where I was and because all my Mackem family had moved to Manchester so I only saw them a few times a year - if that - and they couldn't influence me into the dark side.

Suppose it takes all sorts really.

That's all fair enough and explains a lot really, refreshing to see an honest picture of where someone has come from and why they're here too.

It does fascinate me how our environment and those around us influence our opinions on everything. My identity with football has always been a regional thing and because everyone at school was Newcastle, I was never really pressed into it and the family I speak of weren't exactly football-daft or season ticket holders, though my Granddad used to be a regular back in the day. Most of my family - especially the serious football heads - are Sunderland fans as my Mam's side was from Jarrow.

That's probably why I can see both sides, I would imagine, as I haven't been brought up in a dogmatic "Newcastle, Newcastle, Newcastle" environment and I was never forced into following NUFC, it just sort of happened because of where I was and because all my Mackem family had moved to Manchester so I only saw them a few times a year - if that - and they couldn't influence me into the dark side.

Suppose it takes all sorts really.

Well, it's regional for me, too. Newcastle is my home town club. My dad was always trying to get us kids to support Liverpool, but then he dropped a bollock by taking us to SJP and that was that.

Guest rebel_yell12

I wouldn't be keen to see Bellamy back at Newcastle.  Perhaps because as a Liverpool fan, I've been there with the "old girlfriend" (read: Fowler) and all it did was sour old memories, really.  Unless it really works out well, it will feel as if it worked out badly, I should think.    My granddad considered it his "moral duty" (his exact words) to make sure my brother and me were raised Liverpool fans despite living in York (as if Dad would've stood for anything else), so he took us to Anfield every weekend we were visiting him just to make sure we were properly indoctrinated.  He went about it with the same strength of purpose as my mum and nan went about raising us in the Church.  I remember seeing Fowler play at his peak, and was left very disappointed by his return (even if I had to see that over the telly).  I don't have that same feeling for Newcastle, but I still don't think I want to repeat the disappointment of bringing back a player who isn't likely to repeat his earlier feats.  Bellamy, imo, won't be the same player who left (esp. considering his fitness).

Plus, something seems off about getting in a striker at this point.  If the club brings players in, it should really be central midfielders and a leftback, imo.  If Owen leaves and Bellamy comes in...it could be 3m in for Owen, 5m out for Bellamy (or a worse ratio) and that just...sucks.  No positive change in fitness/reliability and no positive change in goal-return.  If Owen stays, the club is pretty well-served for strikers (Owen, Martins, Viduka, Xisco, Ameobi, Smith?). 

Sorry, like.

I think it's clear I think he's not a player we need at the moment. There are four specific reasons why in the post you quote. A fifth would be that his position is not one of those that needs strengthening as a priority right now.

Why would he come here at the moment anyway?

I suppose with Owen leaving soon you could make an argument that we will need to bolster the striker pool. I think I'd rather use the £5m to pay Owen what he wants to stay though although he probably still wouldn't if a half decent club gives him an offer.

Sorry, like.

Of course people look back in the past, it would be wrong not to embrace your history, but even more so at the moment due to the current situation we find ourselves in.

For what it's worth I do tend to think Ozzie was looking for bites from you with what he's been posting in here, to be honest, but then really what the f*** is new there?

Sorry, like.

I wasn't - but Beardsley was a far better player than Bellamy ever was, PLUS the fact that he could be relied upon to give no trouble to his club or manager and to look after himself. He did ALL of these things in the years after he returned to NUFC, and KK knew he would, so he was a great buy.

I wouldn't have the same confidence in Bellamy - esp in his dealings with other players and as a good influence within the club.

I remember meeting Bellamy on night out & he honestly thinks he is better player & goalscorer than Beardsley.

The rumpus started because I told hunchback he should learn off Peter Beardsley (who was coaching at Newcastle at the time) how to score 1 on 1's.