Fantastic news!

Dave

The genius recruitment team can't find better midfielders than a 35 year old nicky butt? I'm so glad to have them at our club.

That's nonsense. Complete nonsense. Your blaming the recruitment team for the manager offering a contract to player that is already at the club and has been there since before they arrived??

I think he's blaming the recruitment team for being incapable of pushing Nicky Butt out of the first team with younger, better players. If we had better alternatives then we wouldn't need to offer him a contract.

We have no depth at all, or real quality if we're honest, in the centre of the park.

The genius recruitment team can't find better midfielders than a 35 year old nicky butt? I'm so glad to have them at our club.

That's nonsense. Complete nonsense. Your blaming the recruitment team for the manager offering a contract to player that is already at the club and has been there since before they arrived??

I think he's blaming the recruitment team for being incapable of pushing Nicky Butt out of the first team with younger, better players. If we had better alternatives then we wouldn't need to offer him a contract.

We have no depth at all, or real quality if we're honest, in the centre of the park.

Indeed. It needed doing in the summer gone, everyone knew that, now it looks unlikely that we'll do it this summer either. He might be useful in the Championship I suppose.

What a fucking joke.

You've been going on for ages that it should be down to the manager, now that they are leaving it to him to decide who he wants to stay you're moaning about that.

Kinnear is clueless though. If Kevin Keegan wanted to keep these shite players I'd think it a joke too.

Fairly straightforward tbh.

PS - are they leaving it to him to decide or are they telling him there's no money to spend on new players? ;)

Judging from his comments and with no mention of Cacapa or Edgar I'd say they're leaving it to him.

Well that would be progress, I suppose. :razz:

Like I said, I'd not be happy about this regardless of the manager, because I think Shola and Butt are crap.

I can understand Butt getting a short term deal as we know we're thin on the ground in that position and you hope he will drop down the pecking order when someone new comes in, that doesn't mean I don't think he's shit.

What we don't want is to lose 6 or 7 players when their contracts run out and then expect to fill them as well as another 2 or 3 where our squad is short, bringing in 10 players is unrealistic and will mean a sacrifice in quality for the sake of quantity.

I don't understand him wanting to keep Shola but it's up to him.

It's all good and pragmatic. I'd rather re-sign Shola than bring in someone random as a backup striker given what he's shown us this season. Given the sorry state of the midfield we can't allow Nicky Butt to be talking to other clubs in January, so we need to tie him down to an extension.

Giving Owen a decent offer and blurbing it all over the press so that the pressure will be on him is exactly what the club should have been done this time last year or so. Good to see they're finally getting around to it.

Shola f***ing Ameobi getting another contract out of this club man. I just can't believe it, and I bet he can't either.

He's basically played about 4 or 5 good games and got a new contract out of it. :lol:

He is fast turning into Jamie McClen MKII.

Indeed. It needed doing in the summer gone, everyone knew that, now it looks unlikely that we'll do it this summer either. He might be useful in the Championship I suppose.

I just think that is an incredible assumption to make. If Butt's starting next season, then yeah, I will not be happy at all, but I have no problem with him being in the squad. I feel like he is a decent safe option, and considering his age, I feel he would accept being a squad player. (Though I do greatly prefer Geremi to him. Don't know why Geremi is always the forgotten man) I was assuming we'd be getting in a central midfielder anyway. Just judging from club statements and rumours, links, etc. We seem to be focused on central midfield and left back.

Shola f***ing Ameobi getting another contract out of this club man. I just can't believe it, and I bet he can't either.

Having spent £5m on Xisco. The whole situation beggars belief.

I agree on this by the way. We have spent this on a younger more promising player who can definitely take Shola's place on the bench if he is not up to first team. Now that makes no sense. Shola should really go to his real level and play for Wikki Tourists or something like that.

I'd rather have Butt in our squad than just chuck him without any sort of straight replacement.

Who is to say we cant replace him in January or the summer? Its worth the risk, rather than have him here for another 2 years or so

I'd rather have Butt in our squad than just chuck him without any sort of straight replacement.

Who is to say we cant replace him in January or the summer? Its worth the risk, rather than have him here for another 2 years or so

Can't we bring someone else in and keep Butt for squad depth?

Can't we bring someone else in and keep Butt for squad depth?

Is he really the kind of player we need the in squad? He is absolutely terrible and is long past it. If our first team MC isnt fit then id rather we stuck a youngster out, than a brutal Nicky Butt.

Guest Stephen927

If last transfer window is anything to go by we won't get the numbers in so we might as well tie Nicky Butt to another year as a back up player.

If last transfer window is anything to go by we won't get the numbers in so we might as well tie Nicky Butt to another year as a back up player.

How many players do you think it is reasonable to expect in a transfer window?

Think we'll get 1

Guest Stephen927

I wasn't expecting a complete squad overhaul btw hence my point in my post. Players like Butt should be staying another year to help with numbers.

Even if Shola and Butt could talk to other clubs, wouldn't they still be at ours until June, and we could replace them in the summer?

Why the desperation?

There's your answer.

Doesn't the desperation come from the fact that if we're going to lose them in the summer for nothing then that means we'd need to seriously consider any bid that comes in for them in the window and if we then receive one, but aren't able to acquire a replacement due to lack of money or players being unwilling to sign for us given the uncertainty surrounding the club, then we're left with an even smaller squad for the remainder of the season? If we get them signed up on new contracts we could still sell them in the summer, by which time the club will hopefully be in a better long-term situation and it would therefore be easier to secure replacements. We really can't afford to further weaken our squad, we need to get through this season and avoid relegation, if we have to give new contracts to some players who subsequently become surplus to requirements, then so be it.