Newcastle United vs Tottenham Hotspur - 21/12/08 - Pre-match thread

Dave

Since when did Martins have excellent movement?

Since  i started comparing him with Viduka.

But he doesn't though. He has excellent pace of course. Doesn't equate to excellent movement though.

I think his movement has been really good this season, he seems to be pulling out wide more which has been dragging defenders out of position and leaving space for the wide men to run into, he also seems to be finding space out wide more where he's been able to put some dangerous balls into the box.

His partnership with Owen has impressed me this season.

Just seen this on .com's report on the Pompey game

A total of 51 outfield players have now failed to register a goal in this competition for us, with seven of those still with the club and therefore in with a chance of getting off the mark: Bassong, Carroll, Coloccini[although they spelt it Coloccino], Gonzalez, Gutierrez, Jose Enrique and Kazenga LuaLua.

Surely they have missed the most obvious person off the list?

But he doesn't though. He has excellent pace of course. Doesn't equate to excellent movement though.

I think his movement has been really good this season, he seems to be pulling out wide more which has been dragging defenders out of position and leaving space for the wide men to run into, he also seems to be finding space out wide more where he's been able to put some dangerous balls into the box.

Last couple of games I've been impressed with him working the channels and Owen staying more central, as well as his use of his brain away at Pompey.

Ahhh Baggio a man who speaks sense.

for what its worth, i think he has pace .

A total of 51 outfield players have now failed to register a goal in this competition for us, with seven of those still with the club and therefore in with a chance of getting off the mark: Bassong, Carroll, Coloccini[although they spelt it Coloccino], Gonzalez, Gutierrez, Jose Enrique and Kazenga LuaLua.

You must have missed the bit when they said "in with a chance of getting off the mark."  The one you're thinking about has got less chance than the players who have left the club.

Last couple of games I've been impressed with him working the channels and Owen staying more central, as well as his use of his brain away at Pompey.

His crosses have been surprisingly dangerous too, he hits them in low with plenty of pace which are hard to defend against if they're played in behind the defence, he still puts the odd shocker in but more often than not they've been good.

You must have missed the bit when they said "in with a chance of getting off the mark."  The one you're thinking about has got less chance than the players who have left the club.

:lol:

Jonathan Woodgate hopes to return to face his former club Newcastle United at St James' Park on Sunday, with his back injury not as serious as was first feared.

The Tottenham Hotspur central defender was forced off with 10 minutes to go of last Saturday's 0–0 draw against Manchester United at White Hart Lane, having suffered a spasm. He was taken to hospital for tests and kept in overnight amid fears of a recurrence of the problem that has blighted his career. Although Woodgate has enjoyed an encouraging appearance record since he joined Tottenham from Middlesbrough in January of this year, a back injury undermined his time in Spain at Real Madrid.

Tottenham are taking no chances with him. The 28-year-old has not yet trained this week and he will play no part in the final Uefa Cup group tie against Spartak Moscow at White Hart Lane on Thursday night, a fixture in which the manager, Harry Redknapp, is likely to include a few fringe players. The club's other first-choice central defender Ledley King will not play.

Tottenham's medical staff continue to monitor Woodgate closely and the club is unwilling to rush his return. At present he is rated a doubt for the trip to Newcastle, where he spent 20 months under Sir Bobby Robson from January 2003. But Woodgate is moving freely and he believes that there is nothing untoward and is keen to resume training to prove his fitness.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/dec/16/jonathan-woodgate-tottenham-hotspur-newcastle-united

My mate who is at the airport just rang and told me martins is in the departure lounge, so might not be here for sat !

Game is on Sunday. He could just be taking a joy ride to clear his mind and the anti gravitational effects of the plane ride will cure his groin strain.

Just our bastard luck. Martins out and injury crocks King and Woodgate with a good chance of being fit once again before breaking down for 2 months each. How come these fuckers are always fit when our matches come around?

Darren Bent has tonsilitis so I doubt he'll be over that by Sunday.

s***!  I was looking forward to another clean sheet.

Bent is  much more of a threat then any of their other strikers tbh

He's shit like, but he somehow manages to score. No doubt that Modric or Pav will score though.