The prospect of Joe Kinnear staying a few years....

Guest Howaythetoon

I think it's the idea that Ashley thinks Kinnear has done well that scares me - 2 or 3 good results out of 13 games or whatever it is, is not a recipe for success.

Did you think Keegan done well then?

Last season he did yes - not just to boost him in my eyes I was convinced in January that we were going to relegated.

As I've said before, the main disappointment of this season is that considering the volatility of the league, I think even with what I consider to be an under-strength squad Keegan would have had us higher. With a bit more ambition in the market I think he could have pushed Villa.

I think the view that we could have and may still "get away" with having an under-invested squad and finish in quite a decent position is one that sickens me because of what could have been.

Of course this may look different on Feb 2nd with what I think will happen.

I don't see much difference in the job either of them have done tbh.

Although knowing how much you think of Keegan it's easy to understand why you think he done really well and Kinnear has been Mediocre.

I don't understand why people are so harsh on Kinnear who is clearly doing a heck of a job all things considered.

13 games on we are still hovering around the relegation zone (and a win today won't change that). We have wasted home games against shit teams - again have we actually improved?

Although knowing how much you think of Keegan it's easy to understand why you think he done really well and Kinnear has been Mediocre.

Keegan didn't lose to Sunderland for one - I'd have sacked Kinnear for that.

I don't understand why people are so harsh on Kinnear who is clearly doing a heck of a job all things considered.

13 games on we are still hovering around the relegation zone (and a win today won't change that). We have wasted home games against shit teams - again have we actually improved?

No we've not improved but we could be doing better.

And as you say, we wasted home games. And, importantly, winning advantages - it's not like we get well beaten every time we play at home. I'd rather drop points than never be in a position to do so.

Hardly a reason to sack someone but I can see you're scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Keegan failed to beat Bolton, Blackburn and Boro at home and only managed to pick up 2 points out of a possible 27 against teams who finished in the top 10 last season, only managing to win 4 games out of 17 matches last season.

This year he got a good draw away to Man Utd, struggled to break down Bolton at home, got taken to extra time by a Championship club in the cup and got absolutely battered by Arsenal, yet you think he done a good job?

Fanboytastic.

Kinnear on the other hand has been a mixed bag, some good points picked up away with draws at Chelsea, Everton and Boro with 2 good victories against top half teams like Villa and Portsmouth, apart from the late goals conceded against Stoke and Wigan which were awful his record is reasonably solid, yet because you've got a chip on your shoulder over Ashley you think that's mediocre?

Unbelievable really.

Hardly a reason to sack someone but I can see you're scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Keegan failed to beat Bolton, Blackburn and Boro at home and only managed to pick up 2 points out of a possible 27 against teams who finished in the top 10 last season, only managing to win 4 games out of 17 matches last season.

This year he got a good draw away to Man Utd, struggled to break down Bolton at home, got taken to extra time by a Championship club in the cup and got absolutely battered by Arsenal, yet you think he done a good job?

Fanboytastic.

Kinnear on the other hand has been a mixed bag, some good points picked up away with draws at Chelsea, Everton and Boro with 2 good victories against top half teams like Villa and Portsmouth, apart from the late goals conceded against Stoke and Wigan which were awful his record is reasonably solid, yet because you've got a chip on your shoulder over Ashley you think that's mediocre?

Unbelievable really.

Agreed. It's pathetic.

Kinnear has clearly done well so far, especially considering the circumstances under which he came into the job.

To suggest otherwise is just down to bitterness.

What's the best we could ever hope for with Kinnear as manager and Ashley's modest investment?

I'd say a sniff of the top 8 - if you're happy with that then fine - I can't be arsed with it.

What's the best we could ever hope for with Kinnear as manager and Ashley's modest investment?

I'd say a sniff of the top 8 - if you're happy with that then fine - I can't be arsed with it.

:yikes: if we finished this season in the top 10 id be over the moon! in the long term we want to be higher, but id be happy with gradual improvement into the top 10 and consolidating over the next few seasons.

Guest The German

Kinnear just seems to understand our players.  :clap: Who would have thought he could bring us something  :rolleyes: .Well done up to now! Let him in. He has given us alot of stability and a fine team-spirit. Kinnear for permanent-job please!

Fanboytastic.

This year he got a superb draw away at the European Champions, beat a decent Bolton side, hammered Coventry and got hammered by Arsenal.

Lexis is fun.

Fanboytastic.

This year he got a superb draw away at the European Champions, beat a decent Bolton side, hammered Coventry and got hammered by Arsenal.

Lexis is fun.

If you had read it all instead of cutting the bit where you can make a sarcastic comment you would clearly see it was a comparison of what both Keegan and Kinnear have done in the past 12 months, which as I said to him isn't much difference, yet Keegan has been great and kinnear Mediocre. :idiot2:

really need to forget about Keegan. One thing i'll say for Joe, he's got rid of the s*** and given Bassong a chance which he's taken brilliantly. Could never see Kev dropping the local hero, but we'll never know.

I thought he tried to sell Stroller?

Fanboytastic.

Lexis is fun.

If you had read it all instead of cutting the bit where you can make a sarcastic comment you would clearly see it was a comparison of what both Keegan and Kinnear have done in the past 12 months, which as I said to him isn't much difference, yet Keegan has been great and kinnear Mediocre. :idiot2:

I did read it all. That quote however and my subsequent comment just summarised my opinion. I disagree basically, i think Keegan did far better than Kinnear with a crop of less talented individuals and more difficult fixtures. Took him a while to get going, aye, but that switch to the 4-3-3 was a masterstroke iyam. As i've said elsewhere, Kinnear on the whole's done alright, but it's only common sense - following some decisions that have varied from bad to plain insane - that's helped us out of the shite. With Keegan, for a while he seemed to succumb to the previous methods that Allardyce actually enforced, for reasons unknown... but it was a superbly executed tactical switch that switched the side from playing like relegation candidates, to European contenders in the space of a match.

What's more, if you couldn't spot the great direction that we were going in under Keegan, then you're just needlessly stubborn imo. It's more about that imo. Plus, i don't see why you can't accept the sentimentality from people with Kevin Keegan; Keegan is still regarded extremely highly in everybody's mind simply because of what he's done in the past. And whatever he did in 2008 wasn't going to change that for a lot of people. That's how i see it anyhow. I don't know why you can't accept that, it's the way it is.

Before you say it, i know i wasn't old enough to experience the first Keegan era, but this is an educated assumption.

Fanboytastic.

Lexis is fun.

I did read it all. That quote however and my subsequent comment just summarised my opinion. I disagree basically, i think Keegan did far better than Kinnear with a crop of less talented individuals and more difficult fixtures. Took him a while to get going, aye, but that switch to the 4-3-3 was a masterstroke iyam. As i've said elsewhere, Kinnear on the whole's done alright, but it's only common sense - following some decisions that have varied from bad to plain insane - that's helped us out of the shite. With Keegan, for a while he seemed to succumb to the previous methods that Allardyce actually enforced, for reasons unknown... but it was a superbly executed tactical switch that switched the side from playing like relegation candidates, to European contenders in the space of a match.

What's more, if you couldn't spot the great direction that we were going in under Keegan, then you're just needlessly stubborn imo. It's more about that imo. Plus, i don't see why you can't accept the sentimentality from people with Kevin Keegan; Keegan is still regarded extremely highly in everybody's mind simply because of what he's done in the past. And whatever he did in 2008 wasn't going to change that for a lot of people. That's how i see it anyhow. I don't know why you can't accept that, it's the way it is.

Before you say it, i know i wasn't old enough to experience the first Keegan era, but this is an educated assumption.

Playing like European contenders? We beat 4 teams, 3 of which finished in the bottom 6, the change in formation helped but so did facing the likes of Sunderland, Fulham and Reading instead of Man Utd, Liverpool and Villa.

As for the direction we were going, I agree he would have done better but that has nothing to do with the point made, he chose to walk out though so I'm hardly going to lose any sleep over it.

Who gives a shit who we played man? Hate that argument, it means nowt. You can only beat who's infront of you, and we did - comprehensively, looking a class above. We were playing like a team that was suited to the top 6. Obviously we were nowhere near in reality like, but i'm talking about the performance.