West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shearer on Carroll as star signs new contract

Alan Shearer has been impressed by Andy Carroll this season but feels it is too early to consider him an England player. In an exclusive interview he told Chief Sports Writer Luke Edwards why

NO matter how talented you are, no matter how much potential you possess, no matter how much raw ability you have shown, nobody has ever ran before they walked.

Mozart had to learn how to read music before he could compose a classic, Albert Einstein had to memorise his times tables before he could contemplate quantum physics and William Shakespeare had to learn to write before he could pen Macbeth.

At 21, Andy Carroll is one of the most exciting prospects in the Premier League, but just because we expect him to become an England international does not mean it is necessarily going to happen.

A hat-trick against Aston Villa in Newcastle’s first home game of the season sparked early talk of an England call-up and when he was left out of the Under-21 side by Stuart Pearce last week, two and two were put together and quickly added up to a first senior cap.

Instead, Carroll has been ignored in favour of the 33-year-old Bolton Wanderers striker Kevin Davies, a journeyman Premier League forward who will almost certainly play no part in the European Championships in 2012 whether England qualify for them or not.

It has been perceived as a snub by some, but Alan Shearer feels it was far more sensible than that. The former United skipper has been impressed with the young man who inherited his number nine shirt, but he also recognises his limitations.

They are the limitations of inexperience, not talent, but they are enough to ensure Shearer is against expecting too much too quickly from Newcastle’s homegrown prospect.

“There was a lot of talk about England, but I think it was too early for him and so, importantly, does he,” said Shearer, who has backed the decision to give the striker the number nine shirt this season.

“I bumped into him this week and he said as much. He isn’t upset about it. He realises he still has some way to go before he is ready to play for England.

“It would have been great for him, but it will come. He has made such big strides, if he carries on, he will get there. I was 21 when I made my England debut at Southampton, Andy is still only 20.

“There is no point rushing him in and then saying he isn’t ready after one game. He needs to be nurtured and that is what Chris Hughton is doing at Newcastle.

“He has vast potential, but that is all it is at the moment. At this stage, everyone who knows him and works with him has to try and turn that potential into consistent performances.”

Carroll followed his first hat-trick for United with an equaliser at Wolverhampton, but his impact in the four games since has been less eye-catching.

In that game against Villa, Carroll was relatively unknown, but scouts do their research and managers do their homework. They have seen what Carroll is capable of and they make sure they have plans to counter his threat.

Dropped to the bench for the game at Manchester City last weekend with Shola Ameobi promoted to the starting XI, Shearer does not believe there is anything wrong with Carroll finding out the hard way how tough it is to play up front in the Premier League.

He said: “I think Andy has had a good start to the season and I think, if you look at it as a whole, he’s scored four goals in seven games and he, and the team, would have taken that if you’d asked them a couple of months ago.

“He is not going to be brilliant every match and you have to accept that. He is still young and he is still improving in every aspect of his game.

“He didn’t start against Manchester City, and again that is something he will have to get used to. He isn’t going to play in every game when he is 20. He hasn’t started ten Premier League games yet in his career.

“He will get better with experience. He is on a steep learning curve, but you cannot expect too much too quickly. He is going to have ups and downs, that’s football. The thing with being a striker is you are going to have periods when you score a lot of goals and you’re going to have periods where you wonder where the next goal is coming from.

“How young players cope with that says a lot about their character.

“It isn’t easy, but you have to accept it as part and parcel of playing in that position. There will be times when you are playing badly, having an absolute nightmare, but you still score the winner.

“There will be other games where you’re playing brilliantly, get three or four chances and don’t stick a single one of them in the back of the net. He has to experience all of these things in order to develop his game.”

Carroll’s first priority will be to win his place in the side back, although Shearer argues that is not a foregone conclusion.

Another product of the youth team set-up and full of potential as a teenager, injuries and inconsistency have hampered Ameobi throughout his career, but he is still Newcastle’s most experienced Premier League striker and Shearer, a former teammate, knows what he is capable of.

He added: “It could be quite a battle between Andy Carroll and Shola Ameobi this season. I’ve played with Shola and he has always shown flashes of brilliance. He was superb in training, but he has never managed to put it together over a long period of time in the first team.

“He has the ability, but he needs to show it consistently.

“He was brought back into the team at Manchester City and he will be hoping to keep hold of his place.

“With the system Chris is playing at the moment, there is only space for one of them. That competition can only be good because they will both be desperate to hold on to the jersey.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/10/09/shearer-on-carroll-as-star-signs-new-contract-61634-27434880/

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2010/10/09/hughton-delighted-with-andy-carroll-deal-72703-27434917/

Hughton delighted with Andy Carroll deal

Oct 9 2010 by Mark Douglas, Evening Chronicle

CHRIS Hughton is adamant that Newcastle United would never have sold their “crown jewel” Andy Carroll – who has signed a new five-year deal in a significant deal for both club and player.

United have knocked back firm offers from Wolves and Stoke for the 21-year-old hit-man over the last 12 months, while serious interest has been registered by Chelsea, Birmingham and a whole host of other top clubs.

But the Newcastle boss says the club always intended to build a side around talented, high-profile young players like Carroll.

The Gateshead-born striker said the deal – announced by United last night but in the pipeline for a while – “meant the world to him”. And Hughton agrees that it is an important statement of intent.

“It is not a surprise that he has signed because all along we wanted him to and he wanted to re-sign for us,” he said.

“But this is still terrific news for the football club and for Andy himself because it clears up any sort of speculation that there has been surrounding him. It’s tied down and secured and hopefully now there will be an end to the talk of him leaving.

“Somebody of his ability and age will always attract interest. He’s English of course, as well, which increases his profile even more.

“I know that there has been significant interest in him as well, but in my opinion he is in the best place for him. I always thought he was better staying here, where he feels comfortable.

“It says a lot about the intentions of our football club as well. We are not a selling club – our intention is to progress and move forward over the next few years.

“In order to get back to that level you need to keep players of Andy’s calibre, which is why we’re delighted that he is staying here.”

Carroll has been tipped to win international honours before long, but Hughton is keen to keep the star’s feet on the ground.

There is also the small matter of a court case coming up, which Hughton says Newcastle will support him through.

“Andy is still a young man – and he’s a young man who has had his difficulties. But we’re here to help him,” Hughton said.

“We’re supporting him and we’re helping him to develop. I really believe he is in the best place for him at the moment – for all parties it is excellent news that he’s here long-term.”

Carroll talked of his desire to remain a lifelong Magpie in the Chronicle last week – pledging his future to England in the process.

And as news of the deal emerged, he reiterated his pride in pulling on the famous No 9 shirt.

“All I have ever wanted to do is play for Newcastle United. That’s been the case since I was a teenager, playing for the juniors and Reserves, and it’s still the same now,” he said.

“Every time I pull on the black-and-white shirt – and even more so now that I have No 9 on my back – it means the world to me, so to be able to do that for at least the next five years is brilliant.”

Newcastle managing director Derek Llambias said the lucrative deal was proof of the club’s commitment to young players.

“We’re dedicated to bringing exciting young players through our youth academy to play for the club,” he said.

“Andy Carroll certainly fits that bill, having graduated through the ranks here, and we’re extremely pleased to have agreed with him a new long-term deal.

“Players like Andy are the future of this club and we have spent a long time putting together a deal that is right for both him and Newcastle United.”

Great news... I wonder about the Taylor contract? I also wonder how many here will cry about him if we lose him for free.

Everyone ought to cry if we lose him for free.  Decentish player who should command good fee going for nowt.  He may well be the ying to Gosling's yang

Great news... I wonder about the Taylor contract? I also wonder how many here will cry about him if we lose him for free.

Everyone ought to cry if we lose him for free.  Decentish player who should command good fee going for nowt.  He may well be the ying to Gosling's yang

Aye. I think Williamson's better but it would be pretty shite for him to go on a free. He's worth (ie fit and paying well could command) £7m+ IMO.

Unfortunately I think bridges are burnt now over the transfer listing thing.

Aye. I think Williamson's better but it would be pretty s**** for him to go on a free. He's worth (ie fit and paying well could command) £7m+ IMO.

Unfortunately I think bridges are burnt now over the transfer listing thing.

I agree on Williamson - but Taylor should be the best right full back at the club.  Fit and committed he'd be a  big improvement on the alternatives

I'm happy that Carroll has signed a new contract, he's a huge threat in the air and he has a good strike on him, that alone makes him worth a fair bit in this league. He's still very raw though, I think both Shola and Ranger are far better with the ball at their feet. Carroll never seems to gel with any of his partners and I think that's the main reason why.

Only 180 behind Shearer's record. Think the fact that Carroll will have to average 18 goals a season until he's 31-32 just goes to show how good Shearer's achievement was.