West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Stephen927

Character can be a weakness for him, but ability certainly isn't. His technique is excellent now.

Only when winning the ball in the air, he still has some work to do on ball control, dribbling and shooting. Right now he is the type of striker that will score when he gets decent crosses, and useful for knock ons but he is not able to create things on his own. His shooting consistency also can be improved, like I said very good potential, the best we've had in a long time but far from the finish product.

Which is the brilliant thing. We really need to handle the lad right, get some proper coaches in to really help Carroll come on.

Was £30m not the figure someone made up after the original 'deal' from that Spurs forum ITK? No Hope in hell Spurs would offer anywhere near that

Anything less and it is a no go for me.

we know ashley is a gambler so i'd guess he's also thinking if he's worth that now is it worth the gamble on him to keep progressing, necome an international regular etc. how much will he be worth then ?

Where's this £30m figure come from?

I remain worried about this. Spurs have now told all and sundry that they want him (if it is old news as that journo points out then today's events are simply to tell the world) and that has to be for a reason. Would Carroll be interested in such a move?

For sure if his agent didn't already know of Spurs interest then he will now and he will definitely benefit from any move and even just from causing unrest.

I watched AC in an England U21 match last fall and I don't think there was a better player on the pitch.  He was the focal point of the attack and played the TM perfectly.  He just may have begun to round the corner in that game.

It can happen to any body.  You struggle with something and then it just clicks and you're like, "Hey, I can do this", and from that point on you get confidence and get better, get more confidence and get better.  That's how I look at that game that Andy played that day: it was like the switch was flipped on for him.

I really worry about this whole speculation. Clearly theres been something happening behind the scenes and 'arry is sniffing around.

Despite all the denials from 'arry in previous weeks i think they obviously want to make an attempt and i hope that we stay resolute and keep saying no.

Its going to be a long january. I'd like to say we wouldn't be tempted to sell carroll but with our owners you just dont know.

I'd like Carroll to come out and say he has no intention of leaving. That would be nice.

I think he has on a couple of occasions. Granted, they were before the window but he's not exactly going to do it every time a club are linked.

Also, it wouldn't really matter whether he wanted to stay or go tbh.

What's the betting any Keane/Bentley deal is tied in with Spurtz signing Carroll?

Yep - my concern all along.

I wouldn't be surprised if they gave us Bentley on loan in return for first option on AC.

That will certainly be in their thinking imho.

What's the betting any Keane/Bentley deal is tied in with Spurtz signing Carroll?

no doubt thats what they would like but at the end of the day if we came up with cash for either player that was reasonable i'd say they'd sell them without any carroll input

More realistic is that we are trying to arrange sensible deals for Keane and Bentley, and 'Arry is saying no, but they might be willing to do a deal if Carroll was thrown into the picture. Testing our resolve to hang on to him

Totally depends on his ambition and the clubs ambition aligning. 

That's true, but generally speaking I believe Carroll wants to play for Newcastle and therefore it's about what the club do. His opinion will soon change if they decide he's there to be flogged at the first chance. People keep saying that he could dig his heels in but this hardly ever happens. If the club even entertain bids for him then their complete and utter lack of ambition is exposed, and that will change his own.

for the moment i see no danger of ac9 going, he's playing for his boyhood club wearing the no 9 and getting into the england side, why would he want to leave now?

of coarse that may change in the future and he may want to move up the footballing ladder in which case we'd better hope the club moves on up quick enough to match his ambition

Can Tottenham ever get better than what they're currently at? I'd say they're at 95% of what they're capable of. Think the best they can ever be is a top 4 side occasionally with the odd Cup win. We're at about 60% of where we could be capable of, which in 4-5 years time could be where Spurs are now.

If he's to leave us, it should be for a club like Man Utd, Chelsea, or God forbid, Man City, where he knows he's going to win stuff regularly in the next 10 years.

More realistic is that we are trying to arrange sensible deals for Keane and Bentley, and 'Arry is saying no, but they might be willing to do a deal if Carroll was thrown into the picture. Testing our resolve to hang on to him

I think it will be Levy rather than 'Arry tbh - and yes I could well believe that's the negotiating tactic. We are well used to brinkmanship as can be seen with the original Ben Arfa loan deal, but Levy wrote the book on the subject.

Guest kingdawson

Can Tottenham ever get better than what they're currently at? I'd say they're at 95% of what they're capable of. Think the best they can ever be is a top 4 side occasionally with the odd Cup win. We're at about 60% of where we could be capable of, which in 4-5 years time could be where Spurs are now.

If he's to leave us, it should be for a club like Man Utd, Chelsea, or God forbid, Man City, where he knows he's going to win stuff regularly in the next 10 years.

I don't agree that we're currently at 95% of what we're capable of tbh. Providing Levy still backs us financially, we keep all our decent players and invest  in a few positions, we can be much bigger then we are now in a few years. It all depends on other teams though.

Honestly though, I don't want to sell him at any price. I know it doesn't work like that ('You'd be mental to turn that down!' etc) but even if the money was to go back into the squad, we wouldn't be improving. If Carroll is worth silly money then as the ones who brought him through it's us that need to feel the benefit of a silly money player. I don't want a cash reward, or any other player(s) in his place. :undecided:

Football is a business, but fuck that I'm a fan and I'm sentimental. Newcastle's new #9 is a Newcastle lad and he's starting to look bloody good. Let's not sell him.

I don't agree that we're currently at 95% of what we're capable of tbh. Providing Levy still backs us financially, we keep all our decent players and invest  in a few positions, we can be much bigger then we are now in a few years. It all depends on other teams though.

being honest and not intending to disparage spurs or anything i think its a matter of reach and i just can't see spurs consistently over the next 5-10 years challenging for the title competing for cl etc, few can without the kind of man city level of investment and sooner or later the real big sharks in the transfer market will come sniffing for bale, modric, van der vaart etc and their head could get turned if a man utd or real madrid (except in vdv case obviously) or barcelona wanted them.

Honestly though, I don't want to sell him at any price. I know it doesn't work like that ('You'd be mental to turn that down!' etc) but even if the money was to go back into the squad, we wouldn't be improving. If Carroll is worth silly money then as the ones who brought him through it's us that need to feel the benefit of a silly money player. I don't want money, or any other player(s). :undecided:

I feel the same way.

I love this lad and the way he is capturing everyone's imagination.  And we are now starting to see all the kids with Carroll on the back of their shirts and no doubt trying to copy him on the pitch just like the generation above (Carroll included) did with Shearer before him.