West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

One good game in six since he left.

His goals apart I thought he was quite average against Man City myself and today he was woeful. I'm probably like a broken record I know but I truly believe as a footballer he is really average and although he will cause a side problems with his height and strength a smart defender or tactics would easily nulify him in my opinion.

a lot of goalscorers would be classed like that.

Not £35m ones

shearer wouldn't have got a game for us in midfiled and that was a world record fee.

You've lost me there.

he was the equivlient of the current 35mill striker and never seemed to be a brilliant footballer, just very effective at scoring goals and leading the line. like carroll.

Don't agree with that, think Shearer was twice as good on the deck.  Not to mention being cleverer and more sensible...

and carrolls better in the air. carroll is also better on the deck than he's given credit for.

Better than he is given credit for, maybe.  Better than Shearer?  No chance.

andy carroll can go past a man with the ball more often than shearer ever used to. neither are fantastic footballers, shearer was on his own as a goalscorer but then he was the most expensive player in the world, carroll isn't.

Go past a man with the ball more often than Shearer?  I couldn't disagree more, not sure where you're getting that from.

years of watching.

You seem to only remember Shearer post injury at Everton.

Shearer > Any other English striker since Lineker.

Since Greaves, i reckon.

This.

Shearer's as a goal scoring at Blackburn (and early Newcastle days) was absoltely sublime, his goalscoring record during that time was ridicilous and I doubt there is many people in the English game who have a better goals to games ratios during a 5-6 year period, ever.

And although you can say Carroll is better in the air due to shear size and power, there's no way he's a better header of the ball than shearer ever was, both attacking it and flicking it on.

Carroll is 22 ffs.  :lol:

I'm too young to know what Shearer was like at Southampton/Blackburn but I don't see any reason why Carroll won't become as good as Shearer.

Shearer was in a different league. Like asking why Fergson wont end up like Messi

Since Greaves, i reckon.

This.

Shearer's as a goal scoring at Blackburn (and early Newcastle days) was absoltely sublime, his goalscoring record during that time was ridicilous and I doubt there is many people in the English game who have a better goals to games ratios during a 5-6 year period, ever.

And although you can say Carroll is better in the air due to shear size and power, there's no way he's a better header of the ball than shearer ever was, both attacking it and flicking it on.

I'm too young to know what Shearer was like at Southampton/Blackburn but I don't see any reason why Carroll won't become as good as Shearer.

Shearer was in a different league. Like asking why Fergson wont end up like Messi

Very strange comparison.

One good game in six since he left.

His goals apart I thought he was quite average against Man City myself and today he was woeful. I'm probably like a broken record I know but I truly believe as a footballer he is really average and although he will cause a side problems with his height and strength a smart defender or tactics would easily nulify him in my opinion.

a lot of goalscorers would be classed like that.

Not £35m ones

shearer wouldn't have got a game for us in midfiled and that was a world record fee.

You've lost me there.

he was the equivlient of the current 35mill striker and never seemed to be a brilliant footballer, just very effective at scoring goals and leading the line. like carroll.

Don't agree with that, think Shearer was twice as good on the deck.  Not to mention being cleverer and more sensible...

and carrolls better in the air. carroll is also better on the deck than he's given credit for.

Better than he is given credit for, maybe.  Better than Shearer?  No chance.

andy carroll can go past a man with the ball more often than shearer ever used to. neither are fantastic footballers, shearer was on his own as a goalscorer but then he was the most expensive player in the world, carroll isn't.

Go past a man with the ball more often than Shearer?  I couldn't disagree more, not sure where you're getting that from.

years of watching.

You seem to only remember Shearer post injury at Everton.

i doubt carroll could dash past the full back and whip in a pin point ball from the byline like Shearer did for Ferdinhands header against Man U. Sublime piece of play from a centre forward that was

At present Caroll is at a similar level as Duncan Ferguson was when he was at Everton - an absolute beast in the air, better on the ground than he is given credit for and unplayable on his day.  To compare Carroll with Shearer at the moment though is ridiculous. 

Since Greaves, i reckon.

This.

:facepalm: You admit not knowing how good Shearer was at Southampton/Blackburn due to your age and then boldly claim that you don't see any reason why Carroll can't be as good as Shearer. How does that work like? How can you make the second claim if you don't know what standards you're comparing (the future) Carroll against?  :lol:

Since Greaves, i reckon.

This.

:facepalm: You admit not knowing how good Shearer was at Southampton/Blackburn due to your age and then boldly claim that you don't see any reason why Carroll can't be as good as Shearer. How does that work like? How can you make the second claim if you don't know what standards you're comparing (the future) Carroll against?  :lol:

All I said is that I think Carroll can be as good as Shearer. Hardly a bold claim. If he was still a Newcastle player you'd probably agree.

Is this because I lol'ed at your joke of a comment in the Xisco thread?

Since Greaves, i reckon.

This.

Carroll is 22 ffs.  :lol:

:facepalm: You admit not knowing how good Shearer was at Southampton/Blackburn due to your age and then boldly claim that you don't see any reason why Carroll can't be as good as Shearer. How does that work like? How can you make the second claim if you don't know what standards you're comparing (the future) Carroll against?  :lol:

All I said is that I think Carroll can be as good as Shearer. Hardly a bold claim. If he was still a Newcastle player you'd probably agree.

Is this because I lol'ed at your joke of a comment in the Xisco thread?

No have not even read the Xisco thread mate.

I've nothing against Carroll, I just don't think he's anywhere close to Shearer in his prime and I've yet to see his potential to be that good, but that's not the point.

I was just questioning your logic. You can't make the second statement that they will be comparable if you admitted in your first sentence that you don't know how good Shearer was. How do you know when Carroll has reached 'Shearer's' standards if you don't know how high that standard is?  If you can't grasp such basic logic, then let's not continue!

I was just questioning your logic. You can't make the second statement that they will be comparable if you admitted in your first sentence that you don't know how good Shearer was. How do you know when Carroll has reached 'Shearer's' standards if you don't know how high that standard is?  If you can't grasp such basic logic, then let's not continue!

I said that I didn't know how good Shearer was at 22/23. Of course I'll realise if/when Carroll as good as Shearer, as I've seen Shearer play at his peak. Read what I said originally, then look at what you are being a pedantic fool about.

Such a pointless discussion.

I was just questioning your logic. You can't make the second statement that they will be comparable if you admitted in your first sentence that you don't know how good Shearer was. How do you know when Carroll has reached 'Shearer's' standards if you don't know how high that standard is?  If you can't grasp such basic logic, then let's not continue!

I said that I didn't know how good Shearer was at 22/23. Of course I'll realise if/when Carroll as good as Shearer, as I've seen Shearer play at his peak. Read what I said originally, then look at what you are being a pedantic fool about.

Such a pointless discussion.

Now you've gone and confused yourself. First you say that you don't know how good Shearer was in Southampton/Blackburn and now you're claiming that you know how good Shearer was at his peak. Well many would correctly argue that Sharer was at his peak during his Blackburn years + Euro 96 hence the then world record transfer fee. Make up your mind man! I'm not being pedantic, you're just contradicting yourself and not making much sense.