West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think its the statements in October or whenever it was stating he never wanted to leave, signing a 5 year contract then going back on what he had very recently said so he could earn a ridiculous amount of money at a team where he's not going to challenge for trophies for at least 2 years.

He could have stayed, quite easily. Yes he'd have gotten less money and been at a team who probably won't finish as high as Liverpool next year... but its what he was adamant he was wanting to do.

He's a cock in my book, like

:thup:

I expect this sort of blame-game s*** from the club but I expected him to be a bit more upfront and honest and for me he hasn't been. I'd have more respect for him if he had.

There are several versions of the events of that day and only those that were involved really know what happened.  Maybe he is telling the truth - maybe the club is but we will probably never know.  In the meantime, everyone else chooses to believe the version they want to believe.

I think its the statements in October or whenever it was stating he never wanted to leave, signing a 5 year contract then going back on what he had very recently said so he could earn a ridiculous amount of money at a team where he's not going to challenge for trophies for at least 2 years.

He could have stayed, quite easily. Yes he'd have gotten less money and been at a team who probably won't finish as high as Liverpool next year... but its what he was adamant he was wanting to do.

I expect this sort of blame-game s*** from the club but I expected him to be a bit more upfront and honest and for me he hasn't been. I'd have more respect for him if he had.

There are several versions of the events of that day and only those that were involved really know what happened.  Maybe he is telling the truth - maybe the club is but we will probably never know.  In the meantime, everyone else chooses to believe the version they want to believe.

i think the summer transfer activity will largely tell the story itself. i know its hard to be exact with spending, but imo there would be a reasonable amount of investment for a club in our position. if we spend well over a reasonable amount, then they made the decision in the best interests of the team. if we spend about as much as you'd expect us to spend less the massive fee for carroll, they grabbed the money for no other reason than recouping as much as possible.

I am no fan of Carroll or footballers in general these days as the almighty pound has superceded loyalty years ago.

However, put yourselves in his place.

Offered 3 times his current salary, an offer his current club couldnt even come close to matching

Joining a cliub with a hell of a lot more chance of winning silverware than his current club

Better international prospects

What would you guys do?

HONESTLY

Would stay at the club I'd supported since I was a kid.  Had this discussion with my grandad yesterday and he disagrees.  He won't blame anyone for going where the money is, looking after their family in that respect, etc.  When I said "is 30 grand a week not enough to get by on like?" he said "Well you don't know how long you're going to be earning that, anything could happen".

That's a good point tbh, but it doesn't change how I feel about it mind.

Guest VegasToon

He could have said no. 

Any way don't really care any longer.  We have to great young players to build around with Ben Afra and Tiote.  Let's hope we can reinvest the money.  Then it would be a win on all sides.

Guest neesy111

Carroll has kept saying he was forced out but he hasn't actually said how he was forced out which looks like for me he's telling porkies about the real reason.

If he is telling the truth, why doesn't his version of events add up? Nobody can force someone to sign a transfer request.

I am no fan of Carroll or footballers in general these days as the almighty pound has superceded loyalty years ago.

Offered 3 times his current salary, an offer his current club couldnt even come close to matching

Joining a cliub with a hell of a lot more chance of winning silverware than his current club

What would you guys do?

HONESTLY

Would stay at the club I'd supported since I was a kid.  Had this discussion with my grandad yesterday and he disagrees.  He won't blame anyone for going where the money is, looking after their family in that respect, etc.  When I said "is 30 grand a week not enough to get by on like?" he said "Well you don't know how long you're going to be earning that, anything could happen".

£30k a week over the 5 year contract he just signed will be a lot more than most of us will earn in our lifetime.

Guest neesy111

Carroll has kept saying he was forced out but he hasn't actually said how he was forced out which looks like for me he's telling porkies about the real reason.

NDA tbh.

Hmm, sounds to me a whole cover story like those pathetic text messages he sent to Steve Wraith.

Guest neesy111

What would you guys do?

HONESTLY

£30k a week over the 5 year contract he just signed will be a lot more than most of us will earn in our lifetime.

It's just like most people in the capitalist world.  Once your rich you want more and more money.

Should remember most footballers are very careless with money as well.

If he is telling the truth, why doesn't his version of events add up? Nobody can force someone to sign a transfer request.

But the club's version does not add up either.  I guess both parties are "selectively" telling the truth.

What would you guys do?

HONESTLY

You calling my grandad a gobshite?

Guest neesy111

But the club's version does not add up either.  I guess both parties are "selectively" telling the truth.

Has everyone forgot the mystery agent which Liverpool FC employed in all of this which was reported 6 weeks back.  That to me was the tell tale sign that Carroll was tapped up and was the one that put in the transfer request to either force a huge contract at NUFC or for the transfer to get completed.

What would you guys do?

HONESTLY

You calling my grandad a gobshite?

:frantic: :lol:

Nah, just saying Carroll could have stayed and still pocketed a good £3m+ after tax if he stayed here for the rest of his contract and never played again.

Still a cock. The Wraith stuff didnt help at all. The more he protests, the more he comes across as another greedy bastard.

Carroll wanted to go, if he didn't want to go he'd still be here. It's as simple as that. Nobody wanted him to go but £35mil cushions the blow somewhat, i just hop it gets spent. And spent well. (nearly said spent wisely)

What would you guys do?

HONESTLY

i'd have gone, either then or in the summer. what i wouldn't have done was try to make out that the selling club was forcing me out after i'd handed in a transfer request.

What would you guys do?

HONESTLY

i'd have gone, either then or in the summer. what i wouldn't have done was try to make out that the selling club was forcing me out after i'd handed in a transfer request.

:nods: