West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest BooBoo

I really want to hate the guy, but I can't.

If he failed miserably at Liverpool I wouldn't take any pleasure in it.

As poofy as it is, I'm the same. I could boo him, but I probably wouldnt take any satisfaction from it.

Guest elbee909

Wait until they wonder where the money went with Jordan Henderson.

BUT WE SPENT LOTS.  DOES NOT COMPUTE

Huge season for him. Up here he was given far more leeway than he'll get in Liverpool. He's also got a massive fee hanging round his neck and his new fans and owners will want an immediate return.

The big bastard could turn into the next Robin Friday if he's not careful.

Huge season for him. Up here he was given far more leeway than he'll get in Liverpool. He's also got a massive fee hanging round his neck and his new fans and owners will want an immediate return.

The big b****** could turn into the next Robin Friday if he's not careful.

Aye, this coming season will be make or break for him.

Sounds like an entry in a Scouser's organiser.

Guest sicko2ndbest

What does he have to do to justify his price tag?

20+ a season

Be a regular

England number 9

What do you reckon

20+ a season

Be a regular

England number 9

What do you reckon

Single handedly win them the league whilst erasing Man Utd's trophy history via mind control.

For £35m I'd be expecting the sort of numbers Drogba was putting up 3 or 4 years ago. He's also got to sort himself out off the park. Stop being a pisshead and try to be a better footballer.

The fee was very much circumstantial, definitely. But I won't be disappointed to see it thrown in his face any time he messes up.

Well, it'll certainly make me feel better about selling him. I don't think he should feel bad about it himself though, it's basically nothing to do with him.

If you spend £35m on a striker then you've got a right to expect the finished article imo. I know football doesn't work like that and big fee =/= goals and performances but if he can't produce the goods then he'll be branded a flop.

Had Liverpool spent £35m on a European striker like Ibrahimovic or Aguero or Higuain or someone else like that then you'd expect instant results. He'll have the same pressure even though the (massively inflated) fee had nothing to do with him. It'll be a millstone around his neck.

You don't have a right to expect the finished article if you're buying a young lad with six months' Premier League experience. They're buying potential, if he doesn't fulfill it then Liverpool knew the risks.

I'm not denying Carroll will be under pressure to perform, but to expect him to be an instant success just because he cost a lot of money is stupid. Obviously it will happen though.

Whatever a player's age, it's bonkers to spend £35m just on potential. To justify that kind of fee, you've got to have enough about you in the here and now to make people think you're worth it.

8th highest fee of all time. I don't have the list to hand so could be wrong, but I doubt any of the 7 bigger ones were on anything other than players who were proven at the very top level for a number of seasons and probably for their national teams too.

20+ a season

Be a regular

England number 9

What do you reckon

35 million puts him in price range of the cream of the premier league. He has to perform as such otherwise he's deemed a failure. Simple.

Looking at the kind of strikers he has to match upto (PL):

Shearer

Henry

Drogba

Torres

Tevez

Rooney

Just look at what Berbatov has achieved and how despite that he's still deemed a relative flop.

If he fails to do even one of those things he's screwed.

You don't have a right to expect the finished article if you're buying a young lad with six months' Premier League experience. They're buying potential, if he doesn't fulfill it then Liverpool knew the risks.

I'm not denying Carroll will be under pressure to perform, but to expect him to be an instant success just because he cost a lot of money is stupid. Obviously it will happen though.

I'm not expecting him to produce it but I dare bet the new owners are expecting big things very quickly. They signed the cheque and if he can't produce then they'll be asking some difficult questions of Dalglish. They backed his judgement when they could have spent the cash elsewhere.

I'd never heard of him. Just spent ten minutes reading about the guy on wiki, and decided to fork out £7.71 for his biography. Cheers!

I disagree, no matter how you look at this, Carroll will never be worth more than £35m at any point in his career no matter how well he performs. No one pays 35m for potential. As someone with more experience of the english game and of a similar age, surely you'd be expecting him to at least match Suarez' performances.