West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He'll fail there. At best he'll get 15 goals for a few years, but he'll never justify £35m. This season is massive for him, including Euro 2012 and I'm not sure he's got the winning mentality needed to overcome pressure. Fingers crossed!

You don't have a right to expect the finished article if you're buying a young lad with six months' Premier League experience. They're buying potential, if he doesn't fulfill it then Liverpool knew the risks.

I'm not denying Carroll will be under pressure to perform, but to expect him to be an instant success just because he cost a lot of money is stupid. Obviously it will happen though.

I disagree, no matter how you look at this, Carroll will never be worth more than £35m at any point in his career no matter how well he performs. No one pays 35m for potential. As someone with more experience of the english game and of a similar age, surely you'd be expecting him to at least match Suarez' performances.

Agreed. They paid at least £15m too much for him. Even £20m for an unproven player would have been a gamble nevermind £35m.

Still think playing in our side as it was at the time completely suited his game and made him look a lot better than he is. Interested to see if he can stand out as much at Liverpool where he won't be the focal point of the attack and they don't have a crosser of the ball of comparable quality to Barton on the right flank. I don't think he'll fail, but don't think he'll be as prolific as he was/would have been here. Also think he's a treacherous bellend.

Depends what failure means. He'll score around 10-15 goals mostly from set pieces and headers, the main problem for him would be his overall contribution and general play. His first touch and movement are poor compared to the likes of Suarez and Kuyt. Like most English players, Carroll relies too much on physical attributes rather than technique.

If Liverpool can get the ball into the box, he'll do ok. Whether they want to play that way is of course another thing. If they want to play fast passing attacking football, then Carroll will always stick out like a sore thumb. Then fans will get on his back and he might get into a vicious cycle where the harder he tries, the more it doesn't work.

Even after his 6 brilliant months for us, I always thought he was an above average one dimensional striker, don't see how that is going to suddenly change playing/training with Liverpool. If anything playing in a style not suited to his strength will show him up more. Some idiots on here thought he was better than Suarez and amongst the best strikers in the Premiership and then you have people like Wullie, blinded by Geordie blinkers who will insist that 35M is too low and indeed no price is high enough for Carroll. I've always maintained that 35M was a spanking good business provided that money is well reinvested. The second part of that equation is taking shape but still work in progress.

Looking back, you can't really dispute, nor substanciate the claim that he's 'amongst the best strikers in the PL'. He's had one full season in which 13 goals and 3 assists in 23 starts tells a pretty promising story. It certainly suggests that he's a league above your assessment.

I must say, I've been wrong about Carroll before, but you're bang out of order calling folk 'idiots' for rating a player so highly after such a good season, as you've no real arguement to counter their opinion.

I think it's pretty clear that he's got the tools to be a brilliant striker. On top of his raw attacking abilities (power, strength, aerial ability, finishing ability) - he's got other strings to his bow that, if they were fine-tuned, could make him an exceptional all-rounder. His crossing, for example - the guy can deliver a mean cross from the left hand-side as we witnessed on more than one occasion last season. He's a million miles away from being slow, too. A brilliant manager could turn Carroll into one of the very best in my opinion, because i think he could play an effective role anywhere in a front two/three/four attacking model.

Fundamentally, however, his success will pivot entirely on his mentality. I think if he remains on this planet he'll turn into, at the very least, a damn good striker.

Still gutted we've lost him.

Looking back, you can't really dispute, nor substanciate the claim that he's 'amongst the best strikers in the PL'. He's had one full season in which 13 goals and 3 assists in 23 starts tells a pretty promising story. It certainly suggests that he's a league above your assessment.

I must say, I've been wrong about Carroll before, but you're bang out of order calling folk 'idiots' for rating a player so highly after such a good season, as you've no real arguement to counter their opinion.

Err the counter argument is simple, you can't say a player is amongst the best strikers in the Premiership on the back of of 6 months especially when it was clear that said striker was depending on the team playing in a certain way to do well. I take it you're feeling like one of the idiots hence your response...fair play

"Some idiots on here thought he was better than Suarez"

He's certainly had a better season (well half season) than Suarez, like.

:lol: That's funny as f***. On what basis did he have a better season (or half) than Suarez? Anyone who has watched both of them play cannot in anyway dispute that Suarez is by far the better striker and has played better for Liverpool

In terms of goal ratio, Carroll finished amongst the best strikers in the league in his very first full season. Not even taking into account the assists and excellent support play.

It's perfectly reasonable for anyone to assert that he is indeed what his stats say he is. You're calling him a step above average on the assumption that he's overachieved so far.

So, who's the idiot here - those who are happy to say it as they see it, or those who call it like they think they'll eventually see? Enough.

Suarez had 7 in 13 for Ajax.

Alfonso Alvez had a better than 1 in 1 record in that joke of a league.

Afonso Alves.

:lol: That's funny as f***. On what basis did he have a better season (or half) than Suarez? Anyone who has watched both of them play cannot in anyway dispute that Suarez is by far the better striker and has played better for Liverpool

You're letting Suarez' dazzling feet mislead you slightly, like. He scored 4 goals in the league (actualy worse than Carroll's 1 in 3 for Liverpool).

I'm sorry like, but Carroll's half a season for us before he got himself injured was far more devastating than Suarez was since he joined Liverpool, it isn't even debateable.

Suarez had 7 in 13 for Ajax.

Alfonso Alvez had a better than 1 in 1 record in that joke of a league.

Afonso Alves.

Alfonso sounds better anyway

I think it's pretty clear that he's got the tools to be a brilliant striker. On top of his raw attacking abilities (power, strength, aerial ability, finishing ability) - he's got other strings to his bow that, if they were fine-tuned, could make him an exceptional all-rounder. His crossing, for example - the guy can deliver a mean cross from the left hand-side as we witnessed on more than one occasion last season. He's a million miles away from being slow, too. A brilliant manager could turn Carroll into one of the very best in my opinion, because i think he could play an effective role anywhere in a front two/three/four attacking model.

Fundamentally, however, his success will pivot entirely on his mentality. I think if he remains on this planet he'll turn into, at the very least, a damn good striker.

Still gutted we've lost him.

Absolutely spot on. Also - a more minor but still important point - he's also up there with the likes of Shearer in terms of defending set pieces in his own box.

In terms of goal ratio, Carroll finished amongst the best strikers in the league in his very first full season. Not even taking into account the assists and excellent support play.

It's perfectly reasonable for anyone to assert that he is indeed what his stats say he is. You're calling him a step above average on the assumption that he's overachieved so far.

So, who's the idiot here - those who are happy to say it as they see it, or those who call it like they think they'll eventually see? Enough.

Agreed. Nobody who saw him at first hand regularly for the first 4-5 months of last season can possiblty argue he is a one-trick pony. Yes, he particularly thrives on one form of service, but which forward (other than an immortal like Messi) doesn't?

You're letting Suarez' dazzling feet mislead you slightly, like. He scored 4 goals in the league (actualy worse than Carroll's 1 in 3 for Liverpool).

I'm sorry like, but Carroll's half a season for us before he got himself injured was far more devastating than Suarez was since he joined Liverpool, it isn't even debateable.

It really is debatable. Suarez has been superb in his first 6 months in English football, he may not of contributed statistically but his direct play has contributed massively to Liverpools success. Excellent player, one that will outshine Carroll next season in my opinion.