West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seem's fairly clear to me that the only club that can unleash his potential is us, purely because Newcastle are the only side he truly wants to play for.

Now he may well move to West Ham, but wether his previous form will return at Boleyn is hugely debatable. May get a handful of goals, but nothing as blistering as before. If he came back here though its entirely plausable we would see that snarling bully of a centre forward who ran at defenders aswell as totured them in the air.

He's got Newcastle in his dna which is why we're the only club that can save his career from becoming forgettable, for positive reasons anyway.

Despite all of the above i'm not sure where he's gonna end up, but it's back to back mistakes if he joins West Ham imo

A striker who is versatile and plays more than one position.

Getting tired of this s***? Who is it you want? I think Robin van Persie is out of reach unfortunately.

I just stated the type of player that i'd like to see us go for, i don't have to state names because that isn't my job.

All i want is a forward who can play wide so we can stick to 4-2-3-1/4-3-3. Carroll can only play 1 position.

I have never been against Carroll's ability as a player and what he can bring i'm against his attitude, his tactical versatility and his price.

But because my opinion is different, i'm a football manager freak and a foreigner who has no right to give his opinion on the team he has supported since he was 4 years old.

Tbf, if you've only been supporting us for 10 years, you should be able to remember how good Carroll was. :lol:

Try 18 years smart arse  :lol:

Plus of course i remember how good Carroll was, but i'm convinced that Carroll cant be replicated on a regular basis.

Carroll was the go to guy in that team and everything was built for him, now he would just be another player and i'm not sure he could perform to the same level in such a scenario.

Anyway i have said many times why i dont want Carroll and its not for ability reasons.

It's for tactical, attitude and financial reasons.

Guest BooBoo

I don't really grasp the hostility to resigning him. For all the trouser wetting about the price, nobody can come up with a suitable alternative who critically, wants to join Newcastle.

I'm sorry, but that's not our job. You can't discount the opinion of anyone that disagrees with you because we are incapable of coming up with a viable alternative. I  am just confident we could do better.

So yoy've got no answer then. Thought so. .

Maybe we should see if Peter Beardsley fancies one last season.

I don't really grasp the hostility to resigning him. For all the trouser wetting about the price, nobody can come up with a suitable alternative who critically, wants to join Newcastle.

I'm sorry, but that's not our job. You can't discount the opinion of anyone that disagrees with you because we are incapable of coming up with a viable alternative. I  am just confident we could do better.

No, because I'm not a fully qualified European scout. However I can still disagree with you.

Well, the evidence that we can do better is out there in the form of Cisse for half the fee, Ba for nothing. You can make any number of arguments about cheaper forwards than Carroll because there is absolutely no doubt that out there, there are better players available for cheaper money.

Like a number of people have mentioned, it's not our job to know who they are and most of us don't watch enough football to know but £17m goes a hell of a long way. I'd sooner not buy someone in this window and wait until January if it meant spending that much on him. Like I've said at other times, I wouldn't buy him back for anything over 12m. I loved the guy when he was here but the team's changed massively since then. If we're talking about spending over £15/16m for him then we're talking about a record signing for us. Should we be spending that amount of money on a player who relies so heavily on a certain system around him?

Getting tired of this s***? Who is it you want? I think Robin van Persie is out of reach unfortunately.

I just stated the type of player that i'd like to see us go for, i don't have to state names because that isn't my job.

All i want is a forward who can play wide so we can stick to 4-2-3-1/4-3-3. Carroll can only play 1 position.

I have never been against Carroll's ability as a player and what he can bring i'm against his attitude, his tactical versatility and his price.

But because my opinion is different, i'm a football manager freak and a foreigner who has no right to give his opinion on the team he has supported since he was 4 years old.

Tbf, if you've only been supporting us for 10 years, you should be able to remember how good Carroll was. :lol:

Plus of course i remember how good Carroll was, but i'm convinced that Carroll cant be replicated on a regular basis.

Carroll was the go to guy in that team and everything was built for him, now he would just be another player and i'm not sure he could perform to the same level in such a scenario.

Anyway i have said many times why i dont want Carroll and its not for ability reasons.

Where then, it's honestly not a problem if it's not Fenham but the way you're avoiding the question has made it an issue.

I have answers but what's the point in even coming out with random names which fits the criteria when the club probably are not even scouting them.

I don't have to come out with a short list of players that fit the criteria just because you disagree with it.

What is wrong with wanted a striker that can play wide so he can play centrally in a 4-4-2 or wide in a 4-3-3? like Remy for example just to shut you up.

No, because I'm not a fully qualified European scout. However I can still disagree with you.

If we had Remy saying he wanted to come and we wanted him we could compare him and Carroll and have a reasoned debate.  As things stand you have nothing to offer debate wise and so it's a futile exerise.

I'm not a qualified football coach but I think that carroll has much to offer.  Come up with some possibilities and we can discuss ya?

Where then, it's honestly not a problem if it's not Fenham but the way you're avoiding the question has made it an issue.

I'm from the outskirts of London if you must know, but i don't see why that has any relevance to this situation.

It's not like i'm against Carroll for personal reasons or ability reasons like i have been accused of..... i'm against him because i feel fee and wages wise he costs too much, attitude wise he could cause a problem in the dressing room and tactically i would prefer to see a striker who can play across the front 3 or in the very least wide left.

Why were you so loathe to admit that?  Plenty of people in similar boats here.

The main reason I asked is because a lot of such European football know-it-alls on here are foreign.  I presumed you were Scandanavian.

If we had Remy saying he wanted to come and we wanted him we could compare him and Carroll and have a reasoned debate.  As things stand you have nothing to offer debate wise and so it's a futile exerise.

I'm not a qualified football coach but I think that carroll has much to offer.  Come up with some possibilities and we can discuss ya?

I'm sorry that I don't have any viable alternatives, but does that mean Carroll, at £15m, is our best option for that price? No.

We can't compare players, I get that, but we can look at what he would bring to the team for that price and decide we could most probably do better.

I think Carroll was very good for us, and im sure he could find his feet again if he returned, but i honestly don't want him. Im sure we could/would be able to play it on the deck with him in the side as well. The best for our team/squad as a whole would be to go for a more versatile type of striker, one that can play in more positions than one. If we could get Remy or someone like him it would be like getting two players instead of one.. Would imrpove our team in quality and depth.

Carroll left, we moved on and improved. Personally i always prefer technical players and i think going for technical ones is the right way to progress even further.

I think Carroll was very good for us, and im sure he could find his feet again if he returned, but i honestly don't want him. Im sure we could/would be able to play it on the deck with him in the side as well. The best for our team/squad as a whole would be to go for a more versatile type of striker, one that can play in more positions than one. If we could get Remy or someone like him it would be like getting two players instead of one.. Would imrpove our team in quality and depth.

Carroll left, we moved on and improved. Personally i always prefer technical players and i think going for technical ones is the right way to progress even further.

Nailed it in one

Attitude wise he could cause trouble in the dressing room.

More tiresome rhubarb.

Oh God, what if he re-signs and Santon decides he wants to grow long hair (because most Italian footballers have long hair) and then they have an argument about who has the best long hair and then Carroll nuts Santon and says he has the best long hair and Santon falls over and poor Mike Williamson has to pick up the pieces AS USUAL.

Why were you so loathe to admit that?  Plenty of people in similar boats here.

The main reason I asked is because a lot of such European football know-it-alls on here are foreign.  I presumed you were Scandanavian.

I was just a bit shocked of why it had any relevance to the discussion.....

Also i don't feel i'm a European know-it-all i only really watch PL, La Liga and Serie A and CL and EL ( which is the reason i have seen some dutch based players play)

I know a fair bit considering a watch a lot of football but i don't consider much a European football master mind.

If i were maybe i could come up with more names that fit the criteria that has been asked, i just would like to see a striker who could play out wide instead of a target man like Carroll i don't see what's wrong with that.

Ok maybe i might have come of a bit aggressive with my opinion and it might have rubbed some people the wrong way, but the core reasons of why i would prefer a different type of striker to Carroll a fair reasons IMO.

Nailed it in one

It's not a coincidence that teams with technical ability generally are the most successful ones. These type of players makes football worth watching.

It would only be worth bringing him back if we absolutely fleece Liverpool with the transfer fee, leaving them with their trousers down, and their cocks up their own arses.

Ergo: For anything below or equal to 12m, I'd welcome him back with open arms.

It's not worth looking like semi-mugs by paying 20m to bring him back, even if it's still significantly less than the original 35. He's not THAT good.

The club seemingly is not, seeing as they are bidding for the player. What do you make of that?

Another much used argument that is a red herring. Carroll wasn't even our first striker at the start of that Championship season, so how exactly "the team was built around him" I'll never know.

The club seemingly is not, seeing as they are bidding for the player. What do you make of that?

The only bid we've lodged so far is loan + view to buy right? That's just playing the market carefully. A loan option can't possibly harm us but if the only option is us buying him, I think we'll have different plans

It was reported that Ashley was the main driving force behind this move.

Either way, I disagree with them.

Another much used argument that is a red herring. Carroll wasn't even our first striker at the start of that Championship season, so how exactly "the team was built around him" I'll never know.

It's quite obvious i was talking about during in his hot streak in the premier league before we sold him.....

Even if he wasn't he still wouldn't be as important as he was as Cisse will be the focal point and not Carroll.

I'm sure if he came back he would do well, but for certain reasons not the level he reached before.

Also it's quite obvious what i was talking about when i said attitude issues. He would come back as a 3rd choice striker and not one of the main guys in the dressing room like he was before and i have questions about how he would adapt to that.