West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Carroll doesn't want to leave this club, he's leaving his dream of playing for Newcastle United and has just become an England international.

The only thing he could get elsewhere that he isn't getting here is European football but there's plenty of time for that.

No doubt Fergy and Arry will try and get their players to turn his head but I reckon they'll be wasting their time.

Guest sicko2ndbest

He's already on a long contract. Why would we give him a pay rise? He's a Newcastle player whether he likes it or not.

Not in the real world my friend

If he is not being given what he thinks he deserves, or what he is being offered elsewhere, he can negotiate a deal whenever he likes whether the club like it or not

He knows his value

He's already on a long contract. Why would we give him a pay rise? He's a Newcastle player whether he likes it or not.

Not in the real world my friend

If he is not being given what he thinks he deserves, or what he is being offered elsewhere, he can negotiate a deal whenever he likes whether the club like it or not

He knows his value

This - sadly.

I think it is sad when a good young talent appears that the media seem determined to move the player to a "bigger" club as soon as possible.  Carroll has potentially 15 years ahead of him if he looks after himself (a big if in this case) and stays fit.  Why can't they leave him to enjoy playing for his hometown club for a couple of years before trying to move him to another club. 

It is hard to believe that back in August, we were more concerned about whether he could maintain his form in the Premier League rather than worrying about whether we would be able to hold on to him

I think it is sad when a good young talent appears that the media seem determined to move the player to a "bigger" club as soon as possible.  Carroll has potentially 15 years ahead of him if he looks after himself (a big if in this case) and stays fit.  Why can't they leave him to enjoy playing for his hometown club for a couple of years before trying to move him to another club. 

It is hard to believe that back in August, we were more concerned about whether he could maintain his form in the Premier League rather than worrying about whether we would be able to hold on to him

because it's easier and better for the press to have the same 4 or 5 clubs up there all the time. it's easier to build up a smaller group of players to cultivate and fawn over as celebrities than to have to keep an eye on many.

To be honest, the more I think about this I reckon we should let him go if Spurs are willing to pay us a ridiculous amount.  No denying he has played well this season, but we haven't missed him that much since he was injured.  If Spurs came in with say £20m + Kranjcar I think we should snap their hands off.  £20m would buy a decent replacement striker.

To be honest, the more I think about this I reckon we should let him go if Spurs are willing to pay us a ridiculous amount.  No denying he has played well this season, but we haven't missed him that much since he was injured.  If Spurs came in with say £20m + Kranjcar I think we should snap their hands off.  £20m would buy a decent replacement striker.

In a word, no.

In a word, no.

What has he done though? He's had one half decent season in the premier league, but I reckon defenders are going to get wise to him next season and he won't be a £30m player then. 

I think £20m would buy a decent striker, maybe 2 but if we keep him for a few years and he continues to develop, he'll be worth double or maybe treble that. More importantly, if we keep him, he might fire us into Europe.

f***ing hell man

I think defenders already know what he is about, but he is simply unplayable when he is on form. A 6ft4 (or whatever he is) striker isn't exactly something you can play against easily, and he's more than just a tall, powerful striker he can actually finish clinically.

Aside from that he is young and English, which ultimately adds to his price tag. By the end of the season he'll be worth £30million and 3 or 4 clubs will have their eye on him.

Krancjar would be a useful addition but if he is priced at £3million, that's £23million for Caroll. If Bent goes for £24million, then our chances of bringing in someone equally as good as Caroll for £20million would be some task. No doubt Ashley would pocket some of the cash too.

Carroll is excellent and is a massive part of the spine of our team, we should be building around the likes of him, Barton, Nolan, Coloccini and Williamson not breaking it up.

Haha, I guess this isn't a popular view then :)

I think £30m is an obscene amount for someone who is basically unproven at the highest level.  Liverpool only paid about £20m for Torres and he was one of the most highly rated players in the world at the time.  Andy Carroll is a good player, but there is no way he is a £30m player based on half a season.  Everyone has their price and I think that would be more that acceptable for Carroll.

Also I meant to say that one of our major problems is squad depth.  We need a strong overall squad, but with plenty of strength in depth to cover suspensions and the like.  We don't have that now - we were down to the bare bones yesterday.

I think £30m is an obscene amount for someone who is basically unproven at the highest level.  Liverpool only paid about £20m for Torres and he was one of the most highly rated players in the world at the time.  Andy Carroll is a good player, but there is no way he is a £30m player based on half a season.  Everyone has their price and I think that would be more that acceptable for Carroll.

It's only me that disagrees mate. I think you're right about the unproven stuff, but if he were to finish the season the way he has started, I think it would be safe to say he was proven.

I think £30m is an obscene amount for someone who is basically unproven at the highest level.  Liverpool only paid about £20m for Torres and he was one of the most highly rated players in the world at the time.  Andy Carroll is a good player, but there is no way he is a £30m player based on half a season.  Everyone has their price and I think that would be more that acceptable for Carroll.

Carroll's Premier League goalscoring record is better than Torres' was in La Liga, for what it's worth.

I love how everyone thinks players will get wise about carrolls game, I would of thought this happens with most strikers. Thing is Andy has many attributes not just a head to aim at, he's not gonna shrink anytime soon so he's still gonna keep winning balls regardless ala crouchy, he's got it all (almost)

Guest Stephen927

I love how everyone thinks players will get wise about carrolls game, I would of thought this happens with most strikers. Thing is Andy has many attributes not just a head to aim at, he's not gonna shrink anytime soon so he's still gonna keep winning balls regardless ala crouchy, he's got it all (almost)

:thup:

Defenders can get wise to it all they want, it just doesn't mean they'll be able to stop it.

When he develops a decent dribbling ability, he'll be unstoppable.

This is probably the least focussed skill amongst English footballers, the best we've got to show is Joe Cole and that says it all, so I'm not holding my breath on this one.

No need for Carroll to go off on England duty to wake up to the idea of bigger wages when he's got Alan Smith sat next to him on 60k a week.

On the idea of selling Carroll and getting in a decent replacement, you simply won't get another striker like him. He's different - thus the excitement surrounding him after just half a full top-flight season.

As someone said on this thread, he is unplayable if used correctly.

No offense, but what a load of bollocks.  He is the one player we would not be able to replace.  He will only get better as well if he carries on the way he is.