West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest guinness_fiend

If the offer is legitimate and if indeed it has been flatly rejected, full credit to Ashley.  Most observers would have expected him to snap up the cash - or at least keep the lines of communication open.  Carroll is hugely important to our long-term ambitions to get the club back to the upper mid-table/regular European qualification we had for a decade or so.  And obviously utilizing that money in this transfer window, or what's left of it, would be virtually impossible and monumentally stupid.  I'm thrilled the club is making their lack of interest so clear.

Plus, as so many others have written, it's just fantastic to have a homegrown player achieve such success leading the line for our club.  Huge huge credit as well to Carroll for what appears to be a very legitimate love of his club.

Ashley is a businessman who appears to be hell-bent on making a profit on his investment.  Selling Carroll, be it for £5 or £50m, would only plug the gap at the moment.  The wisest thing Ashley can do is keep hold of him for as long as possible, rake in the revenue for shirt sales etc. in the meantime and then sell him at a later date. 

Plus, if we sold Carroll during this transfer window, there's every chance that we could end up in a relegation dogfight after a few poor results.  The losses associated with getting relegated would more than offset any revenue generated from the sale of Carroll.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Levy and Ashley have put their heads together, I'll say I offered £25m and you turned it down.

Levy gets brownie points with the fans for trying to get a good young striker in and Ashley gets brownie points with the Newcastle fans for not selling him. 

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Levy and Ashley have put their heads together, I'll say I offered £25m and you turned it down.

Levy gets brownie points with the fans for trying to get a good young striker in and Ashley gets brownie points with the Newcastle fans for not selling him.   

what a cynical being you are...........

i agree......

I don´t think we should sell Carroll for any price atm. For me he´s the symbol of this football club, and a player we can have for the next 10 years. Until he hands in a transfer request or something crazy happens about the club(antoher relegation etc.), we should keep him. It means a lot to me as a supporter to have a young player like him in the team. He´s local and has worked his way trough the academy, and you will feel something extra for those players when they succeed. We´re building a team atm and have done for the last 18 months. If we sold Carroll now, we would ruin most of the work that has been done after we were relegated.

Not at sale for any price might sound crazy, but being a supporter makes you blind sometimes and Carroll is our future.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/news/north-east-news/2010/05/02/newcastle-united-accounts-reveal-111m-debt-79310-26358985/

Last set of accounts show that the club owes him £111 million, and that “Subsequent to the year end, the ultimate controlling party, Mr MJW Ashley, has advanced additional funding of £25.5m.”

So obviously he's taking out loads, like.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/news/north-east-news/2010/05/02/newcastle-united-accounts-reveal-111m-debt-79310-26358985/

Last set of accounts show that the club owes him £111 million, and that “Subsequent to the year end, the ultimate controlling party, Mr MJW Ashley, has advanced additional funding of £25.5m.”

:clap:  At least someone willing to use actual numbers rather than spouting rubbish

Last set of accounts show that the club owes him £111 million, and that Subsequent to the year end, the ultimate controlling party, Mr MJW Ashley, has advanced additional funding of £25.5m.

Who said he was taking out loads?  Get the accounts and read them if you don't believe what I'm telling you.  You wrongly claimed that he hadn't taken money out and I said that he had, that information comes from the clubs accounts which I can't link to as they are on my hard drive.

:clap:  At least someone willing to use actual numbers rather than spouting rubbish

Get the accounts and read note 23, it's not rocket science to understand the content of the note provided by the clubs auditors on the clubs behalf and which have been signed off by Llambias.

If the amount put in is more than that taken out ... is it still really taking out?

Semantic pedantry really.  The real point is there's no factual basis for the kind of  :frantic: posts about Ashley pocketing everything from player sales that crop up here with annoying regularity. 

I don´t think we should sell Carroll for any price atm. For me he´s the symbol of this football club, and a player we can have for the next 10 years. Until he hands in a transfer request or something crazy happens about the club(antoher relegation etc.), we should keep him. It means a lot to me as a supporter to have a young player like him in the team. He´s local and has worked his way trough the academy, and you will feel something extra for those players when they succeed. We´re building a team atm and have done for the last 18 months. If we sold Carroll now, we would ruin most of the work that has been done after we were relegated.

Not at sale for any price might sound crazy, but being a supporter makes you blind sometimes and Carroll is our future.

100 % behind this.

Guest Geordiesned

BTW obviously anything can still happen so let's not get carried away (either way) until the window has ended. :undecided:

We'll have to wait until at least a day later until we can rest easy. That's when Spurs are allowed until to complete their transfer business.

If the amount put in is more than that taken out ... is it still really taking out?

Semantic pedantry really.  The real point is there's no factual basis for the kind of  :frantic: posts about Ashley pocketing everything from player sales that crop up here with annoying regularity. 

The fact is that he has taken money out of the club which goes against "Ashley has taken absolutely no money out of the club so far."  Where the money came from that he did take out is anybodies guess but it did come out during the financial year so it had to come from somewhere.  He hasn't been in a position to take much out because the club hasn't produced enough cash to pay the bills.  We've been told that we're on our way to breaking even so nothing will stop him taking money out again, even if he has to put more in later, like he did during the year ending 30th June 2009.