West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Carroll doesn't exactly look thrilled to be at Lpool.

They're just photographs but there's a point to what you're saying. I'm sure, in an ideal world for him, Carroll would still be at Newcastle with the £90k a week contract (or whatever) he's currently sat on at Liverpool.

You mustn't have seen the video of him with King Kenny he couldn't raise a smile.

Even if Carroll was completely desperate to leave, I find it hilarious that folk are prepared to absolve Ashley of any blame whatsoever.

I don't get what more could be done though? Carroll

Tell him to f*** off and wait till the summer.

What would that have achieved? Postponing the inevitable, as well as the transfer fee potentially decreasing? Meanwhile we've got a high-profile player unhappy at the club.

So what?  Give him a new contract when he earns it not when he demands it. Why would his value have gone down?

Liverpool were gonna offer him it then and there. There's no way he wasn't gonna end the month without the contract he wanted.

Eh?  He can't go until we accept a bid.  We don't give him another contract and we don't accept the bid.  Carroll stays.  Simple.

Or we state that Carroll can only go yesterday if or when we find an appropriate replacement.  If we don't get one, Carroll stays.

Guest Thump 1892

Carroll doesn't exactly look thrilled to be at Lpool.

They're just photographs but there's a point to what you're saying. I'm sure, in an ideal world for him, Carroll would still be at Newcastle with the £90k a week contract (or whatever) he's currently sat on at Liverpool.

You mustn't have seen the video of him with King Kenny he couldn't raise a smile.

Got a link to that mate?

Guest Thump 1892

Even if Carroll was completely desperate to leave, I find it hilarious that folk are prepared to absolve Ashley of any blame whatsoever.

What would that have achieved? Postponing the inevitable, as well as the transfer fee potentially decreasing? Meanwhile we've got a high-profile player unhappy at the club.

So what?  Give him a new contract when he earns it not when he demands it. Why would his value have gone down?

Liverpool were gonna offer him it then and there. There's no way he wasn't gonna end the month without the contract he wanted.

Eh?  He can't go until we accept a bid.  We don't give him another contract and we don't accept the bid.  Carroll stays.  Simple.

Or we state that Carroll can only go yesterday if or when we find an appropriate replacement.  If we don't get one, Carroll stays.

To be fair, this is spot on.  Why we sold him without a decent replacement/second man is beyond me.  Liverpool did it right, they had the £35 in hand because the only thing stopping it was the Torres deal.

What we probably should have done is tried to hijack that with a part ex/ or tried to get one of their youngsters - it's better than nowt.

I never believed the plan was to sell him in the summer, I just think we never expected such a massive bid and for Carroll to agitate for a move.

Summer or now anyway, it makes very little difference.

Are you taking the piss? We've got 15 games left to play, man. 15 games with 4 strikers who just aren't up to it at this level.

I never believed the plan was to sell him in the summer, I just think we never expected such a massive bid and for Carroll to agitate for a move.

Are you taking the piss? We've got 15 games left to play, man. 15 games with 4 strikers who just aren't up to it at this level.

Well you know, Carroll would have been injured for another 5 or 6 of those anyway.

It might make the difference between one or two places in the league, I'll give you that.

:lol: We're unbeaten without him.

And we're stuck with a player who doesn't want to be here, who's injured anyway, who's value will depreciate with every passing week. Instead we take the £35m, stay up (which we will, absolutely no problem), and plan for the summer.

We'd not have got £35m in summer, imo.

:thup:

Look, man, most would agree that 35 million is fantastic for a largely unproven striker who is still developing.  That is not the point.  He was scoring goals for us.  And in the time he has been sidelined, yes we did better than expected.  But apart from West Ham, we've scored 1 goal a game since he was out, and lost 4 valuable points at the death.  Granted, we had a lot of 1 goal games anyway, but his abilities on offense and defense would surely have helped us in those games. 

The point is that there appeared to be absolutely no plan in place to replace him at all, let alone with quality.  An at the death bid for a MIDFIELDER who left under a cloud to a club whose owner would love nothing more than to impale Ashley's babies?  Come on. 

Take away his goals this season. A bigger picture might just form.

Guest Thump 1892

Look, man, most would agree that 35 million is fantastic for a largely unproven striker who is still developing.  That is not the point.  He was scoring goals for us.  And in the time he has been sidelined, yes we did better than expected.  But apart from West Ham, we've scored 1 goal a game since he was out, and lost 4 valuable points at the death.  Granted, we had a lot of 1 goal games anyway, but his abilities on offense and defense would surely have helped us in those games. 

The point is that there appeared to be absolutely no plan in place to replace him at all, let alone with quality.  An at the death bid for a MIDFIELDER who left under a cloud to a club whose owner would love nothing more than to impale Ashley's babies?  Come on. 

Well said mate.

Wasn't it Hughton who said "unbeaten runs mean nothing, you're still not winning"? (Paraphrasing, of course)

Without his goals we'd be 16th with a game in hand on several clubs above us.

As far as i'm concerned - we've got enough ammunition without Andy Carroll to survive in this league. We've had one or two horror results which, earlier on, left us thinking we were gonna be in the mire come this stage and a bit later on. But we haven't. Andy Carroll was a focal point of this season's outside push at a European spot. Which is what it was becoming. I'm not saying that'll continue... we'll probably finish the season lingering around places of mediocrity - but we won't go down.

Plus, if we're looking at statistics, has he actually been the 'matchwinner/saver' on many occassions this year? I disputed this in my head earlier on when listening to Shearer going on about how many times he's saved our bacon this year. I'll have to have a look. :aww:

Glad we've sold him then. 16th is still good enough.

Exactly my point. We're taking a needless gamble.

Thinking about it, this might disrupt our group of lads more than first thought if they feel the club forced out their mate, no?

I'm sure they've heard that Carroll signed a transfer request too.

Yeah, but they've actually the chance to talk to Carroll about it. Which means that if Carroll is telling the truth (Not saying he is, mind) they'll know it and it could make them a bit miffed?

Not that footballers care about anything anymore though. :undecided:

Urgh, i cba entering a debate regarding whether or not we'll go down. If we end up back in the Championship come August i'll happily eat my words but for now i'm just gonna mosey along.

Aye, go have a lie down.

[insert Yorkie arse photo here]