West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Agree with Gemmil.

I dont really understand the bitterness towards Carroll really to the extent that some on here have it. Its crap that he agreed to go, but put in his position all footballers would make that choice. Thats the world they live in.

the problem is he cries in the chronicle and to wraith i didn't want to go oh woe is me etc etc when he could have quite easily not gone there is no way he could have been forced out

I dont believe he did want to go. He couldnt quite easily turn down such a massive wage increase & the differences in valuation of his worth as a player from both clubs. We made no attempt to keep him and basically told him to leave. He wasnt literally forced out no, but he probably feels like he was forced to change his mind as to whether he wanted to stay here.

Guest Gemmill

Agree with Gemmil.

I dont really understand the bitterness towards Carroll really to the extent that some on here have it. Its crap that he agreed to go, but put in his position all footballers would make that choice. Thats the world they live in.

As I've said, I don't have a problem with him thinking Liverpool is a good move. But leave it at that, he shouldn't go whinging that he didn't want to go.

I'm not in love with the fact that he's whinged on, but he's a 22 year old kid who wants to save face with his mates etc.  And I suspect there is some truth to how he claims he was treated.  It ended up being a good deal for all parties, but without the club wanting to sell him he would still be here.  The bid rejections whilst allowing the player and his agent to talk to Liverpool ffs - only one thing gonna happen there.

Guest Gemmill

Tell you one thing, I bet he's impressed at seeing how a proper club is run.

Probably why he can't wipe the smile off his face.

Agree with Gemmil.

the problem is he cries in the chronicle and to wraith i didn't want to go oh woe is me etc etc when he could have quite easily not gone there is no way he could have been forced out

I dont believe he did want to go. He couldnt quite easily turn down such a massive wage increase & the differences in valuation of his worth as a player from both clubs. We made no attempt to keep him and basically told him to leave. He wasnt literally forced out no, but he probably feels like he was forced to change his mind as to whether he wanted to stay here.

And Carroll knows we're not paying the sort of wages Liverpool were going to offer him anymore. Liverpool offered big money and the wages he thinks he deserves, we can't afford that anymore unfortunately. One of those things.

Agree with Gemmil.

He was told they'd renegotiate his contract in the summer,which 3 months after signing a new one seems reasonable to me tbh.

It's too simplistic to talk about him turning his back on the club.  It's a short career, and if he's to be believed he's being told he's not wanted by his current employer, and there's a prospective employer prepared to pay £35m for him and almost treble his wage.  £14m over 5 years.  He knows that contract negotiations at Mike Ashley's Newcastle are going to be few and far between, and that if he scored 25 goals a season for the next 4 year, he'd still not get £80k a week out of Ashley.  Which makes his decision a no brainer, once they told him they wouldn't open up negotiations with him.

And whether he was told he was not wanted is up for debate, but having seen Lambias's crack in the paper today, it wouldn't surprise me at all.  These blokes are despicable cunts and I don't understand how ANY Newcastle fan can give them the time of day.

Whilst all that obviously is true, people are still entitled to be upset about the manner/timing of him leaving. And it's far too simplistic to just assume that means support for the board.

Agree with Gemmil.

He was told they'd renegotiate his contract in the summer,which 3 months after signing a new one seems reasonable to me tbh.

There were stories flying around the club were going to give him a new deal in Jan. Will try & find one.

Guest Gemmill

Agree with Gemmil.

I'd not even heard that, but assuming it's true, would you believe it?  Derek Lambias and Mike Ashley sat grinning at you and telling you "Don't worry Andy, we'll deal with this little matter in the summer."

On top of all of their other lies?

Agree with Gemmil.

Its reasonable yes, but sometimes you have to meet someone in the middle when theyre being slightly unreasonable if theyre of massive worth to you

Guest Gemmill

It's too simplistic to talk about him turning his back on the club.  It's a short career, and if he's to be believed he's being told he's not wanted by his current employer, and there's a prospective employer prepared to pay £35m for him and almost treble his wage.  £14m over 5 years.  He knows that contract negotiations at Mike Ashley's Newcastle are going to be few and far between, and that if he scored 25 goals a season for the next 4 year, he'd still not get £80k a week out of Ashley.  Which makes his decision a no brainer, once they told him they wouldn't open up negotiations with him.

And whether he was told he was not wanted is up for debate, but having seen Lambias's crack in the paper today, it wouldn't surprise me at all.  These blokes are despicable cunts and I don't understand how ANY Newcastle fan can give them the time of day.

Whilst all that obviously is true, people are still entitled to be upset about the manner/timing of him leaving. And it's far too simplistic to just assume that means support for the board.

Laying the blame solely with the player is mental imo.  Whether it indicates support for the Board or not.

We had all month to bring in players.  If we had spent the money and got a quality striker in and a winger I think he would have stayed.

Instead we pissed around trying to get cheap fucking deals for very average players.

Not surprised he left with the sham that runs the club. Or should that be ruin.

Agree with Gemmil.

As I've said, I don't have a problem with him thinking Liverpool is a good move. But leave it at that, he shouldn't go whinging that he didn't want to go.

I'm not in love with the fact that he's whinged on, but he's a 22 year old kid who wants to save face with his mates etc.  And I suspect there is some truth to how he claims he was treated.  It ended up being a good deal for all parties, but without the club wanting to sell him he would still be here.  The bid rejections whilst allowing the player and his agent to talk to Liverpool ffs - only one thing gonna happen there.

Pardew does say "Events took over and the size of the fee was a big part of it." The fee was the biggest part for me, they cashed in.

He's a football player, not some comic book hero.  And football players are almost all thick, young and greedy.  NUFC were his employer, not his 'family'.

A squad shouldn't be held together through fairy dust and local sentiment.  The people that run the club have to demonstrate that they are serious about success by keeping the players (and the manager) responsible for making it possible.

Agree with Gemmil.

Pardew does say "Events took over and the size of the fee was a big part of it." The fee was the biggest part for me, they cashed in.

there isn't a club owner in the country that wouldn't have taken that mental fee

He's a football player, not some comic book hero.  And football players are almost all thick, young and greedy.  NUFC were his employer, not his 'family'.

A squad shouldn't be held together through fairy dust and local sentiment.  The people that run the club have to demonstrate that they are serious about success by keeping the players (and the manager) responsible for making it possible.

Love the American sports phrase "Franchise player" for me Carroll was ours.

Guest Loven11

Liverpool were not going to let Torres go until they got AC. We let AC go so we could get the cash in.

It's all the fat bastard is bothered about.

And Carroll knows we're not paying the sort of wages Liverpool were going to offer him anymore. Liverpool offered big money and the wages he thinks he deserves, we can't afford that anymore unfortunately. One of those things.

We dont know that we needed to match their wages to get him considering things. Either way, it was our choice to sell him fullstop. Just dont accept the offer and hes ours, hes not going to cause issues when half the team are his mates & he's playing for his local club. The team spirit was great. Just tell him his contract will be renegotiated in the summer & reject any offers. Simple.

Agree with Gemmil.

there isn't a club owner in the country that wouldn't have taken that mental fee

There is that myth that Ashley rejected the bid iirc.

Liverpool were not going to let Torres go until they got AC. We let AC go so we could get the cash in.

Difference really between an ambitious club and an unambitious one.

Guest Gemmill

Yup.