West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seriously can't be arsed to read the last 15 pages, can anyone offer a summary?  More details of the deal?  Any N-O meltdowns yet?

By all accounts it's a genuine offer, reported by everyone. Carroll apparently was told about it three days ago. One report says the permanant deal would be £17m, one says £13m.

Wouldn't take at either price.

Massive step backwards imo.

I was gutted when Carroll left, but I've never seen a better team spirit and so many likeable players at the club since the Keegan days.

Seriously can't be arsed to read the last 15 pages, can anyone offer a summary?  More details of the deal?  Any N-O meltdowns yet?

By all accounts it's a genuine offer, reported by everyone. Carroll apparently was told about it three days ago. One report says the permanant deal would be £17m, one says £13m.

I don't think Liverpool would accept either anyway. That loss is mental, surely it would be better to keep him another year and see what happens.

This is absolutely mind blowing to me.  It's like the last year and half didn't happen or something.  People would be totally happy to go back to the old game of long ball?  We're not that far removed from it but our style of play is so much better than it has been in recent memory yet 64% (accord to the poll at the moment of this post) people want to go back to our old style?  Is success not entertaining enough?

In short, I thought we had moved past this kind of shit (said player and stupid board decisions) as a club.

This is absolutely mind blowing to me.  It's like the last year and half didn't happen or something.  People would be totally happy to go back to the old game of long ball?  We're not that far removed from it but our style of play is so much better than it has been in recent memory yet 64% (accord to the poll at the moment of this post) people want to go back to our old style?  Is success not entertaining enough?

In short, I thought we had moved past this kind of shit (said player and stupid board decisions) as a club.

You are massively overplaying the long ball we played when Carroll was here and massively overplaying the lack of it since he went IMO.

Guest palnese

I don't think Liverpool would accept either anyway. That loss is mental, surely it would be better to keep him another year and see what happens.

If he stays at Liverpool for another year and spends a lot of time on the bench his value will drop even further.

In short, I thought we had moved past this kind of s*** (said player and stupid board decisions) as a club.

You are massively overplaying the long ball we played when Carroll was here and massively overplaying the lack of it since he went IMO.

Aye and the lack of a physical threat from set pieces is one of our biggest weaknesses. Remember we were/are in for De Jong, he's an identical player to Carroll.

In short, I thought we had moved past this kind of s*** (said player and stupid board decisions) as a club.

Barton & Nolan had nowt to do with the long ball style? You play to your strengths, we have a lot more now (or atleast the potential for them). Very different situations. Carroll would just offer an alternative style of attack, we have several now.

How does taking a player on loan mean we have to change our entire way of playing to suit him?  There's no reason why he would have to be anything than another option in games where we feel we need that kind of player, and more options are a good thing.  Also how can getting a player we sold for £35m on loan for a year be considered going back to stupid board decisions, if it worked it'd be a fucking master stroke.

From a purely footballing perspective, it's a handy upgrade on Best. Absolutely nothing more.

Not worth the drama or the outlay, and i would count 50% of his current wages in that - before anything daft like a £13-17m transfer fee.

Aye, I have concerns about how we'll play with Carroll but some people are being very simplistic about this.

Thanks Dave, £13m does seem a bit high considering how far his stock has fallen but considering his potential, his nationality and the fact he's been up here and scored goals already then it's not really that bad.  Would prefer to pay no more than £10m but the guy will have re-sale value and Ashley will know this.  If he comes back and does moderately well then a Stoke or a Villa will probably pay canny money for him if we want to offload for whatever reason.

I'm more concerned about his wages and whether he'll get in a strop at having to be on the bench regularly.  Also can't help thinking that Tiote or someone is away if we're willing to spend £20m on Carroll and Debuchy and perhaps another £10m on additional signings, but I have faith in our ability to replace adequately.

Guest Brendan_Rice

I don't see why it has to mean a return to long ball. Surely it'll just mean we'll be more dangerous from crosses / set pieces. Doesn't mean we have to hoof it to him all the time.

If Ba and Cisse are definitely staying, you really couldn't ask for a better 3rd choice / rotation player.

Agree with this, I think Liverpool played the long ball game to cut out their midfield. When Carroll signed for them they were forever just humping the ball up to him, they don't have width to attack the channels. I think Carroll would do well if he came back.

From a purely footballing perspective, it's a handy upgrade on Best. Absolutely nothing more.

Not worth the drama or the outlay, and i would count 50% of his current wages in that - before anything daft like a £13-17m transfer fee.

Aye, everyone was devastated when he left due to us thinking he was just a handy upgrade on Best. The Carroll who played for us was immense, if he came back we'd probably have the best strikeforce in the league with those 3 on form.