West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

That said I'm not that convinced we'll be going with two up front anyway. :undecided:

I am thinking CH will go soemthing like 4-3-3 with Jonas Carroll Routledge up front and three of Smith Barton Guthrie Nolan (depending on who's not injured/imprisoned).

That said I'm not that convinced we'll be going with two up front anyway. :undecided:

I am thinking CH will go soemthing like 4-3-3 with Jonas Carroll Routledge up front and three of Smith Barton Guthrie Nolan (depending on who's not injured/imprisoned).

4-5-1, then.

Jerome improved a hell of a lot during the course of last season.

I still don't rate him as any better than Carroll, he's never been as prolific as Carroll in the Championship.

Lovenkrands is no Premier League striker. Shola isn't either, but he'll cause trouble for defenders on a regular basis. Lovenkrands just won't impose himself against top defenders.

32 goals in just short of 200 appearances in the Premier League suggests he won't like.

As I said, none of the 3 will manage double figures. We need to look at who contributes most to open play. Lovenkrands is by far the lesser of the 3 in that respect.

No. Lovenkrands has more pace and movement than Shola and offers more to open play when paired with either of them.

Offers more in what respect?  He creates nowt, can't hold up the ball, gets bullied far too often and gets slower by the day. His goal tally is his strength and it's pretty average even in a Championship context.

If we need a goal in the last 15 minutes there's a case for him to be on the pitch. If not, it's like having 10 men on the pitch.

I'd say similar about Shola. Offers nothing by the fact that he doesn't move, can't anticipate his teammates and is knackered after 30 minutes of being on the pitch. "...it's like having 10 men on the pitch." Only worse because he behaves like the lone target man and gets in Carroll's way.

Lovenkrands has pace and fitness over Shola and creates more space than him (especially while Carroll is on the pitch) because he is more effective at moving around and linking up with the midfield.

So do you guys believe Carroll getting the number 9 guarantees him as a first team fixture then?

Erm...I'm going to go with yes.

Well I hope we find him a really good partner who can take some pressure of him then. I hope we don't end up going 4-5-1 and putting him under too much pressure to score all the goals. However not sure we have any combination of two central midfielders that would work in a 4-4-2. Worrying situation really.

Guest toonlass

So do you guys believe Carroll getting the number 9 guarantees him as a first team fixture then?

Why shouldn't he?

Why shouldn't he?

Never said he shouldn't!

I just think at the moment our best chance will be with three in midfield, and I think it might be too much responsibility to ask Carroll to play upfront alone. Ideally we sign a good striker to partner him, as well as a really good dynamic central midfielder that would improve us in a 4-4-2. The odds of these signings though? Not so sure.

Well I hope we find him a really good partner who can take some pressure of him then. I hope we don't end up going 4-5-1 and putting him under too much pressure to score all the goals. However not sure we have any combination of two central midfielders that would work in a 4-4-2. Worrying situation really.

Considering where we are and what we hope to achieve (not being relegated) the pressure will be there for everyone not just Carroll.

Considering where we are and what we hope to achieve (not being relegated) the pressure will be there for everyone not just Carroll.

True ...

Why shouldn't he?

Never said he shouldn't!

I just think at the moment our best chance will be with three in midfield, and I think it might be too much responsibility to ask Carroll to play upfront alone. Ideally we sign a good striker to partner him, as well as a really good dynamic central midfielder that would improve us in a 4-4-2. The odds of these signings though? Not so sure.

Very low odds. Any more signings will probably be more defenders and/or CMs. I am thinking we'll only get two to three more players in.

Why shouldn't he?

Never said he shouldn't!

Very low odds. Any more signings will probably be more defenders and/or CMs. I am thinking we'll only get two to three more players in.

Boy you're optimistic, I'll be surprised if we get more than one in!

Guest Roger Kint

Twats on Talkshite(well the fat ginger one anyway) slagging off this idea......cue mugs ringing in to fill the coffers :facepalm:

Had a dream last night he scored an equaliser at Old Trafford to make it 1-1.  Happy for the lad, he's no world beater but at least he's improving - which is a novelty for a club whose players are usually in a state of twilight years, career nosedive or stagnating unrealised potential.  Guess it's a rare positive in our collapse that we're actually being forced to develop players and increase their value for a change.

Had a dream last night he scored an equaliser at Old Trafford to make it 1-1.  Happy for the lad, he's no world beater but at least he's improving - which is a novelty for a club whose players are usually in a state of twilight years, career nosedive or stagnating unrealised potential.  Guess it's a rare positive in our collapse that we're actually being forced to develop players and increase their value for a change.

The way that reads it sounds like you're happy for the lad scoring at Old Trafford in your dream :lol:

Guest Antigalican

I know this might not be a popular view, but I think in this day and age there's far too much hype of this number 9 business. Good to see a local lad get that shirt though if it means something to him.