West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Howaythetoon

Carroll will go on to a really good player and has already been that in the past. He could even be great, I just don't want him and certainly not for that sort of money. I don't think West Ham is a good career move for him, if Everton had the money, he'd be a good fit there

He will never be a great player. He could be a great servent for a club like West Ham in the way Davies has been for Bolton and great at certain things but he lacks genuine ability on and around the ball to be a great player. A great player is someone like Shearer, or Scholes, top top players with lots to their game.

Guest bimpy474

If Wham and Carroll's agent are denying this story is it not time to change the thread title ?

Just saying.

Guest BooBoo

If Wham and Carroll's agent are denying this story is it not time to change the thread title ?

Just saying.

Said the same thing a good few posts back. This place is slipping.

Guest Brazilianbob

There is no way west ham can afford £19m for Carroll.  Those wide boys in charge will just pay the £2m loan deal then send him back at the end of the season.  They are gambling £2m in the hope he will score the goals that keep them in the EPL.

Guest bimpy474

Just saying.

Said the same thing a good few posts back. This place is slipping.

Sorry mate i didn't spot your post ;)

Come on, man. He's in a different league to the likes of Kevin Davies.

How?

Because he's developed into far more of a goal threat and is more mobile. Where Carroll has this natural ability to bully defenders in the air, Davies has to rely on experience and lenient refereeing.

Guest bimpy474

How?

Because he's developed into far more of a goal threat and is more mobile. Where Carroll has this natural ability to bully defenders in the air, Davies has to rely on experience and lenient refereeing.

And Davies was not even close to being as good as Carroll at the same age.

Guest Howaythetoon

How?

Well one is in the Premiership and the other is in the Championship.

Har har...

I'd rank Carroll alongside the likes of Fletcher, Doyle et al. Decent mid-level Premier League forwards on their day but extremely limited to ever become better than the sum of their parts which is basically physicality and work-rate which says a lot about the players we tend to produce and the way the Premier League is at that end of the spectrum.

Take the likes of Defoe and Bent, regarded as meh type of strikers yet each possess far more in their locker than Carroll does and ever will, namely pace, finishing ability and technical ability, even though it is limited with those two.

He had a hot patch here and once or twice looked unplayable, but only from a physical and aerial perspective. On average though he was average and was hit and miss in front of goal. Remember Nolan scored as many PL goals as him and Lovenkrands got just as many in the Championship.

I think with Carroll, people want to believe he is this and that or can be this and that down to some misguided affinity to that kind of forward and because he's young, Geordie etc. when really people should be looking at things objectively and without bias or romaticism.

Don't get me wrong when he was here I loved the fact he was banging them in in that number 9 and that he was a Geordie but when I looked at his performances and his attributes as an all-rounder I found an extremely limited footballer enjoying a good spell for his hometown team, inspired by the number on his back, the universal support of the fans, manager and players et al and the lack of real pressure due to his age and our position.

The real Andy Carroll can be found wearing a red shirt performing like he has done pretty much since he joined them.

I know Liverpool fans who reckon Mellor looked a better player in their colours....

Guest bimpy474

How?

Well one is in the Premiership and the other is in the Championship.

Har har...

I'd rank Carroll alongside the likes of Fletcher, Doyle et al. Decent mid-level Premier League forwards on their day but extremely limited to ever become better than the sum of their parts which is basically physicality and work-rate which says a lot about the players we tend to produce and the way the Premier League is at that end of the spectrum.

Take the likes of Defoe and Bent, regarded as meh type of strikers yet each possess far more in their locker than Carroll does and ever will, namely pace, finishing ability and technical ability, even though it is limited with those two.

He had a hot patch here and once or twice looked unplayable, but only from a physical and aerial perspective. On average though he was average and was hit and miss in front of goal. Remember Nolan scored as many PL goals as him and Lovenkrands got just as many in the Championship.

I think with Carroll, people want to believe he is this and that or can be this and that down to some misguided affinity to that kind of forward and because he's young, Geordie etc. when really people should be looking at things objectively and without bias or romaticism.

Don't get me wrong when he was here I loved the fact he was banging them in in that number 9 and that he was a Geordie but when I looked at his performances and his attributes as an all-rounder I found an extremely limited footballer enjoying a good spell for his hometown team, inspired by the number on his back, the universal support of the fans, manager and players et al and the lack of real pressure due to his age and our position.

The real Andy Carroll can be found wearing a red shirt performing like he has done pretty much since he joined them.

I know Liverpool fans who reckon Mellor looked a better player in their colours....

I also know Liverpool fans who felt he was good in the last few months. They also felt at no stage did KKK play football that helped him, not long ball but crosses.

Its horseshit to say he is poor or not good enough. For me its whether we want him back as we have two great strikers now, but i want 3 great strikers and i would take him, just not at the price Liverpool want.

Guest Brazilianbob

If he does end up at Newcastle on a loan deal with a view to paying £18m for him at the end of the season,  is it that bad a deal? because we seemed to be willing to pay £9m to £12m for De Jong, so if we bring Carroll inon loan and set aside the £12m that we would have spent on De Jong, then £6m next season added to the £12m we will have saved this season makes it seem like a reasonable deal to me.  If Ashley manages to get him for £15m then the deal looks even sweeter.

Guest BooBoo

Still don't think we're after Carroll.

Yes, despite all the evidence suggesting we are indeed after Carroll.

Anything more than 10m for Carroll is a bad deal, it only looks good because how stupid Liverpool would have looked but if you ignore that anything more than that and it's an awful deal for so many reasons.

Luckily i'm confident we wouldn't be that stupid.

Guest bimpy474

Thread title  :snod:

Why. The. Fuck. Does. It. Matter?!

Man.

Why. The. Fuck. Do. You. Care ?!

Badger.

Thread title  :snod:

Why. The. Fuck. Does. It. Matter?!

Man.

In fairness, the more tedious threads (this, Debuchy, Ben Arfa before we signed him, etc) are barely worth reading at times, the thread title is sometimes all I can be arsed to look at.