West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hmmm, guess it's Carroll's call now.

Are West Ham obligated to take him for 17m at the end of the year then or can they pull out if he's shit?

methinks they're obligated to bid 17m if they stay up but could then do something like offer him a fiver a week or something if they don't want him

Im sure all those details would have to be sorted and agreed already. What would be the point otherwise

Aye.

Being committed to paying a total of 19m for him would be madness. I think Carroll can be a quality player again in the right circumstances, but I'd rather spend the money on two or three others.

Well, if true Liverpool/Rodgers have shown their hand in that they really don't feel Carroll has a future there. If they're willing to let Carroll go for a season for 2 million without the guarantee West Ham will have to conclude the deal to make it 19 million (providing they stay up), I would even say they're desperate. Cue Carroll turning West Ham down and putting Liverpool in a very akward position when we come in with a loan with view to permanent bid on deadline day.

Well if it wasn't clear before it certainly is now. Rodgers/Liverpool don't want Carroll. Carroll has the position of power now. If he only wants to come back to NUFC he can just refuse to go to West Ham. Liverpool will either be stuck with an unhappy player on huge wages or they'll be forced in to selling him to NUFC on the cheap.

Deja vu.

Liverpool getting a good deal here tbh, no wonder why they've accepted it.

If West Ham pay up at the end of the season, aye. Don't think they will, btw. Otherwise it's a horrible deal for them.

West Ham deny a deal has been done acc to SSN twitter.

The BBC report wasn't completely clear. It sounds like they've agreed a deal with Liverpool and been allowed to talk to the player. Part 2 - probably the hard bit - is persuading the player to join.

For the fees being talked about, I'd rather see us bring in a player who is less trouble and offers more versatility.

Ba and Cisse both like to play down the middle. Carroll does give added height in both penalty boxes and a more physical outlet up front, but given the choice I'd rather a forward with pace who likes to work the channels while Cisse or Ba stay more central. Someone more in Bellamy's mould. With Carroll, if 4-3-3 suits the team better then you're looking at Ba out of position and Carroll sat on the bench, whereas a more versatile forward can challenge the wide players as well. It suits our needs more and when you look at the run we had with 4-3-3 last season, it makes better sense to have a player who is adaptable.

Pool must have faith in him doing well on a loan.

Cause if he goes to West Ham & they do badly, his valuation will plummet even further & he'll still be on their books.

Maybe they hope he'll look better as a big fish in a small pond and that might tempt someone else in.

For the fees being talked about, I'd rather see us bring in a player who is less trouble and offers more versatility.

Ba and Cisse both like to play down the middle. Carroll does give added height in both penalty boxes and a more physical outlet up front, but given the choice I'd rather a forward with pace who likes to work the channels while Cisse or Ba stay more central. Someone more in Bellamy's mould. With Carroll, if 4-3-3 suits the team better then you're looking at Ba out of position and Carroll sat on the bench, whereas a more versatile forward can challenge the wide players as well. It suits our needs more and when you look at the run we had with 4-3-3 last season, it makes better sense to have a player who is adaptable.

Aye. :thup:

My worry is that it'll be Carroll or no striker.

Where are West Ham supposed to be getting all their cash from - I thought they were in major financial trouble???

They are relying on Carroll helping them stay up and use the massive increase in TV money that comes in next season to pay for it.

Which is why the permanent deal is based on them staying up supposedly.

West Ham deny a deal has been done acc to SSN twitter.

The BBC report wasn't completely clear. It sounds like they've agreed a deal with Liverpool and been allowed to talk to the player. Part 2 - probably the hard bit - is persuading the player to join.

bingo

though it does make a mockery of what rogers was saying just a few days ago

Where are West Ham supposed to be getting all their cash from - I thought they were in major financial trouble???

Think the idea is that they buy him if they stay up, in which case they get next season's big TV windfall and he pays for himself.

Ian Abrahams ‏@Moose_talkSPORT

West Ham have not signed Andy Carroll just that a bid has been accepted - my information is the player doesnt want to join West Ham

I'd trust Ryder more than that joke of a reporter