West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest bimpy474

If Liverpool weren't playing it long and Carroll is good with that ball at his feet then why was he playing so badly there? Seems like a contradiction to say Liverpool weren't playing "his way" but say he's not just good in the air.

Well when watching them, they didn't play with any width whatsoever and never crossed the ball with any regularity. Not arguing he is good enough, just the long ball stuff is nonsense.

Guest bimpy474

We played a lot of long ball stuff with Hughton.

I didn't think so, i thought we sat back and gave up a lot of possession in some games away from home, which bugged me to be honest.

I'm not arguing for or against him coming back, its just this launch it stuff when he's in the team is complete nonsense.

Actually, I think we did not do much long ball either. What we did do was rely on Barton's crosses and set plays to good effect. And I really doubt Carroll has been given much of a chance either playing with players who would play the passing game whether it be for us, for Liverpool or for England, which is why I've yet to give any judgment as to whether it's his presence that makes the team hoof it or the kind of players that he plays with.

Well put mate, better than i could.

We played a lot of long ball stuff with Hughton.

I didn't think so, i thought we sat back and gave up a lot of possession in some games away from home, which bugged me to be honest.

I'm not arguing for or against him coming back, its just this launch it stuff when he's in the team is complete nonsense.

Actually, I think we did not do much long ball either. What we did do was rely on Barton's crosses and set plays to good effect. And I really doubt Carroll has been given much of a chance either playing with players who would play the passing game whether it be for us, for Liverpool or for England, which is why I've yet to give any judgment as to whether it's his presence that makes the team hoof it or the kind of players that he plays with.

Yep, very true. Certainly didn't play 'long ball' under Hughton.

Guest bimpy474

It is complete horseshit that we would resort to hoof ball like.

Carroll thrives from good crosses, and Pardew regurlarly talks about how he wants to get Ben Arfa and co putting more balls in the box. That isn't hoofball at all. In fact, one of the great things about Keegans 95/96 team was the quality of the crossing at times. Carroll would be a great target for that kind of play.

I personally hope we do sign him. I think he's a good player, and potentially a very very good player. Ideally the fee wouldn't be huge, but I don't think we would be able to find a much better player if we are specifically looking for the "set piece threat" kind of player.

I think he would certainly be a good "alternative" if we wanted to mix it up as well, say against certain teams we needed more threat from free kicks and corners etc.

Absolutely, i would have him back but not at the prices banded about. £15m to £20m could be far better spent than just on him.

Carroll thrives from good crosses, and Pardew regurlarly talks about how he wants to get Ben Arfa and co putting more balls in the box. That isn't hoofball at all. In fact, one of the great things about Keegans 95/96 team was the quality of the crossing at times. Carroll would be a great target for that kind of play.

I personally hope we do sign him. I think he's a good player, and potentially a very very good player. Ideally the fee wouldn't be huge, but I don't think we would be able to find a much better player if we are specifically looking for the "set piece threat" kind of player.

I think he would certainly be a good "alternative" if we wanted to mix it up as well, say against certain teams we needed more threat from free kicks and corners etc.

If he's such a good player why do you think that teams like Chelsea or Man U aren't in for him? The fact is take away his aerial prowess and he's pretty ordinary. To get the best out of him you do need to launch the ball long so he can batter centre halves about for goal poachers like Nolan to sneak in. Fat Sam has it spot on.

Dont understand the point a lot of people are making that we need to have someone up there for the occasional hoof ball or free kick. I'd be all up for that if we could put that hoof ball target in there as the 12th guy but sadly we cant. Id much rather play a striker that offers more in different aspects of the game and takes part in the general play (or is just insanely good finisher).

Dont understand the point a lot of people are making that we need to have someone up there for the occasional hoof ball or free kick. I'd be all up for that if we could put that hoof ball target in there as the 12th guy but sadly we cant. Id much rather play a striker that offers more in different aspects of the game and takes part in the general play (or is just insanely good finisher).

Couldn't agree more. Really happy with the strikers we have now, with their speed and movement. If we do get another one in I'd prefer it to be a Sturridge type rather than a Carroll.

Surely it's beneficial to have a mixture of styles though? We already have two pacey technical finshers in Cisse and Ba (3 if you count HBA as a forward). Would it not be better to upgrade on Shola so we have a plan B (or a plan A for certain games)?

12m simply for a plan B though? and 12m seems to be the minimum. I'd much rather have a forward with better versatility, movement and pace than Carroll for that type of money.

Besides one of the forwards we have been linked with in Remy is what you ask for ( i.e. good in the air) but has the pace, tricks, versatility and movement to the bargain too.

I realise it's a long shot, but if we were to spend that sort of money i'd rather see that type of striker than Carroll.

Guest BooBoo

Love a good "revert thread title to simply the players name when it's apparent that absolutely nothing of interest is happening" me, like.

Guest Phil K

Love a good "revert thread title to simply the players name when it's apparent that absolutely nothing of interest is happening" me, like.

Should do the same to the Debuchy thread.

Should both be combined into ONE thread titled "ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....snore......."

Guest Archie

If he's such a good player why do you think that teams like Chelsea or Man U aren't in for him? The fact is take away his aerial prowess and he's pretty ordinary. To get the best out of him you do need to launch the ball long so he can batter centre halves about for goal poachers like Nolan to sneak in. Fat Sam has it spot on.

:lol: excellent POD for a sensible discussion about Andy Carroll.

If Cisse is so good why arent barcelona and real madrid in for him?

He must be shit... :scared:

:lol: excellent POD for a sensible discussion about Andy Carroll.

If Cisse is so good why arent barcelona and real madrid in for him?

He must be s***... :scared:

Not really the same though, is it?

/brankostropon

Guest Archie

It really is. Its all well and good to have a debate on whether he is good enough, but the dealings of fotball is a bit more complex than " if player X is so good why arent club Y in for him"

Probably 30 odd strikers only in europe good enough to bang em in for any top-4 club. Doesnt mean you can buy them all. You spend your money and make your choices!

Its lazy arguing

It really is. Its all well and good to have a debate on whether he is good enough, but the dealings of fotball is a bit more complex than " if player X is so good why arent club Y in for him"

Probably 30 odd strikers only in europe good enough to bang em in for any top-4 club. Doesnt mean you can buy them all. You spend your money and take your choices!

Its lazy arguing

£15+million rated players don't drop down to a relegation fight. Other teams either don't think he's that good or they don't want to pay such a stupid fee, which is not surprising.

Guest Archie

Probably 30 odd strikers only in europe good enough to bang em in for any top-4 club. Doesnt mean you can buy them all. You spend your money and take your choices!

Its lazy arguing

£15+million rated players don't drop down to a relegation fight. Other teams either don't think he's that good or they don't want to pay such a stupid fee, which is not surprising.

He has had a poor spell in liverpool. That combined with his inflated price tag means people are not as interested as they once were.

For 10 million Im sure more clubs would be interested, still being worth that after 5 goals in 18 months aint too shabby...

They see him as a risk, personally I just think he got dragged into the whole Liverpool saga. Honestly, a midfield of Downing, Adam and jay f***ing spearing isnt exactly drooldripping...

Think he would do well here and easily worth 15

Guest Brendan_Rice

I don't see what all the negativity is about. If we had the option of Carroll, Ba and Cisse it will only make us stronger. I think he would up his game if he came back here as well, still only 23. I can remember Shearer going through a really bad drought and people saying he was finished, once he got his head right he was back banging the goals in.

I don't see what all the negativity is about. If we had the option of Carroll, Ba and Cisse it will only make us stronger. I think he would up his game if he came back here as well, still only 23. I can remember Shearer going through a really bad drought and people saying he was finished, once he got his head right he was back banging the goals in.

The prices quoted I think we could get two quality forwards.

Guest Archie

The prices quoted I think we could get two quality forwards.

The board wants carroll for some reason,  fine with me. Dont think we will miss out on someone because of him.

The board may want him, would be surprised if he is high up on Carr's list. Apparently we have had £13m turned down and West Ham have offered what? £19m?

Fairly confident we could sign a quality £9m forward and a very good £6m fourth choice.

It's the soap opera element that I don't like, that's the main thing. We've made Liverpool look mugs, Carroll is regretting the move, let's move on and let it lie. We just don't need to get involved in it.

she dumps you to go out with a wanker, in her wake you get someone fitter and nicer, she wants you back, you run into her in a pub with while out with  your mates and she throws herself at you, everyone sees the situation, your vindicated regardless whether you shag her or not, she was a mattress gymnast but if you do you could upset the current domestic arrangments.

(fuck me i'm rubbing the metaphorical clitoris tonight)