The other games today - 2008/09

Dave

The Uefa cup will always be looked down upon while the 3rd placed teams from the Champs League get a free ticket

horrible tournament tbh, horrible format, horrible teams, incredibly amateurish coverage

Talking if which, this is the Villa squad for our game in Moscow this week.

Brad Guzan

Stuart Taylor

Elliott Parish

Luke Young

Curtis Davies

Zat Knight

Nicky Shorey

Eric Lichaj

Ciaran Clark

Shane Lowry

Steve Sidwell

Moustapha Salifou

Craig Gardner

Isaiah Osbourne

Barry Bannan

Marc Albrighton

Marlon Harewood

John Carew

Nathan Delfouneso

No Friedel, Heskey, Ashley Young, Barry, Milner, Petrov, Cuellar or Agbonlahor.

He's clearly made a decision about priorities, by the looks of it.

Guest Brummiemag

The Uefa cup will always be looked down upon while the 3rd placed teams from the Champs League get a free ticket

horrible tournament tbh, horrible format, horrible teams, incredibly amateurish coverage

Brad Guzan

Stuart Taylor

Elliott Parish

Luke Young

Curtis Davies

Zat Knight

Nicky Shorey

Eric Lichaj

Ciaran Clark

Shane Lowry

Steve Sidwell

Moustapha Salifou

Craig Gardner

Isaiah Osbourne

Barry Bannan

Marc Albrighton

Marlon Harewood

John Carew

Nathan Delfouneso

And thats a sad thing for most Villa fans in my opinion. Its your only chance of a trophy thrown away.

Teams spend all season trying to qualify for Europe then dont take it seriously when they get there. You wonder whats the point?

In ten years you wont remember finishing fourth   

Brad Guzan

Stuart Taylor

Elliott Parish

Luke Young

Curtis Davies

Zat Knight

Nicky Shorey

Eric Lichaj

Ciaran Clark

Shane Lowry

Steve Sidwell

Moustapha Salifou

Craig Gardner

Isaiah Osbourne

Barry Bannan

Marc Albrighton

Marlon Harewood

John Carew

Nathan Delfouneso

And thats a sad thing for most Villa fans in my opinion. Its your only chance of a trophy thrown away.

Teams spend all season trying to qualify for Europe then dont take it seriously when they get there. You wonder whats the point?

In ten years you wont remember finishing fourth   

I don't see why - NUFC fans still remember finishing second over 10 years ago, and second is hardly different from 4th because you have still fluffed it....

In ten years you might not remember finishing fourth, but you might well have won the Premiership following a few seasons of consistent Champions League qualification, attracting better players and increased income.

That might never happen if you finish 6th or 7th. I think O'Neill has got it right, he's breaking the grip of the established top 4 and his utmost priority must be to maintain that challenge.

In 10 years will anyone care about the UEFA cup anyway?

Guest Brummiemag

Well put it like this if I was a villa fan I would be furious with that squad. At the end of the day it supposed to be about winning trophies. 

Give me an FA Cup, League Cup or UEFA Cup over 4th place any day. 

Well put it like this if I was a villa fan I would be furious with that squad. At the end of the day it supposed to be about winning trophies. 

If I was a Villa fan I wouldn't be furious about anything, I'd be loving life!

It isn't though, it is about building the club.

Sadly, the way football is these days, it is all about being in the top four. If we finish there this season (and I don't think we will, but we have a chance), then next season we can build on that from a position of strength.

I say sadly, because we (the fans) didn't make it that way, but we can't ignore it being so.

In ten years you might not remember finishing fourth, but you might well have won the Premiership following a few seasons of consistent Champions League qualification, attracting better players and increased income.

That might never happen if you finish 6th or 7th. I think O'Neill has got it right, he's breaking the grip of the established top 4 and his utmost priority must be to maintain that challenge.

In 10 years will anyone care about the UEFA cup anyway?

Hadn't noticed your post before i posted, but you've explained it pretty much perfectly, certainly better than I did.

:thup:

If i was a villa fan i'd want martin o niell to go all out for the champs league place

Imo villa don't have a chance in the uefa because of teams like ac milan and valencia

Bet those Villa fans going to Moscow are pleased.

The club made it very hard for us to buy tickets. Only sold them to people with long away ticket history, had to get your visa first, had to call in person etc etc, then sent the rest of the tickets back two days after they received them.

It's almost like they knew something they weren't allowed to tell us.

Guest Brummiemag

If i was a villa fan i'd want martin o niell to go all out for the champs league place

Imo villa don't have a chance in the uefa because of teams like ac milan and valencia

They dont have a chance in the UEFA and yet you want them to go all out for the Champions League!??  Sums up the modern game I'm afraid - all about money

They dont have a chance in the UEFA and yet you want them to go all out for the Champions League!??  Sums up the modern game I'm afraid - all about money

They should go all out for champions league because if they get in, they can attract some awesome players and can build on that 4th spot. Also a lot of money from 4th place  :razz:

Guest Brummiemag

They should go all out for champions league because if they get in, they can attract some awesome players and can build on that 4th spot. Also a lot of money from 4th place  :razz:

Makes you wonder what the purpose of a football club is - to make as much money as possible, forget winning trophies!! All bow down to the mighty Premiership

Another sad day for football

Guest quklaani

The UEFA cup might be taken more seriously if you didnt have to play 87 times to win it.

I reckon its much more excusable to give up on it in Villa's position than Spurs.  I'd still be annoyed if I was a Villa fan, it wouldn't kill O'Neill to take the whole squad and play something of a carling cup side.  Still, they'll probably be able to put out a stronger defense than we will tonight, Fabio with 53 minutes of first team football in his career will likely play at right back.

The UEFA cup might be taken more seriously if you didnt have to play 87 times to win it.

I reckon its much more excusable to give up on it in Villa's position than Spurs.  I'd still be annoyed if I was a Villa fan, it wouldn't kill O'Neill to take the whole squad and play something of a carling cup side.  Still, they'll probably be able to put out a stronger defense than we will tonight, Fabio with 53 minutes of first team football in his career will likely play at right back.

If the game were closer to home, I think he'd have done that, but Moscow is a bit of a hike.

Oddly, our defence will look ok Shorey - Davies - Knight - Young (assuming they start), but the midfield has an average age in the teens if you take out Sidwell.

Inter vs Man Utd should be a good game tonight, looking forward to it. Wonder if Man Utd will be bummed in similar circumstances to when they played AC

I don't think they will. Mainly due to the different styles Inter and AC deploy.

Explain please Tooj?

Despite Inter being the best team in Serie A I don't think they are as fluid as the Milan of a couple of seasons ago could be on their day. Even though they are a far superior unit btw.

Guest quklaani

Inter vs Man Utd should be a good game tonight, looking forward to it. Wonder if Man Utd will be bummed in similar circumstances to when they played AC

I don't think they will. Mainly due to the different styles Inter and AC deploy.

That and Heinze isn't playing.

Villa and Spurs are just a right pair of cunts if you ask me.

Couple of bottlers who are afraid of putting a full team out so they have this priorities excuse when they inevitably get put out.

If we were "inevitably" going to be put out, then surely there's no need for an excuse, as it was, well, inevitable.

There's no way you can compare Villa and Spurs in terms of ability, cuntishness or excuse-making, Spurs are far worse, more cunty and make more excuses. Plus, I like Martin O'Neill, opposed to that fat twitchy Wii-playing cunt.