The other games today - 2008/09

Dave

Guest neesy111

right, there was 1 clear penalty that was the piquet handball but remember barca had a nail on penalty in the nou camp against henry

chelsea just defended for 90 mins and got 1 excellent goal

whoever said chelsea should of scored 4 or 5 tonight need's there eyes checking tbh

Check out ballacks face in this

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00545/iniesta_goal_585_545779a.jpg

:dowie:

Begging to be photoshopped.

LOVE Drogba's reaction, diving prick doesn't deserve to play football again the way he play acts. Should join the Royal Shakespeare Company ffs.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45743000/jpg/_45743031_drogba_ap466.jpg

Alas poor Yorick....

Why were there so many empty seats tonight towards the top behind the goal?

I noticed this as well. Thought it was just me seeing things. Surely they're not restricted view or anything like that.

Its UEFA regulations, fans have to be a certain distance from the pitch or something. So at SJP are a ok as there is an area between pitch and the stand but stam bridge is right on the pitch so they have to have empty seats.

It was the back 5/6 rows though of the upper tier of the Mathew Harding stand I think its called.

The attendance was only 37857 and that is thousands under capacity. No reason for top tier seats to not be used. Looked like Barca had bigger than normal away allocation too. Surely they'd have sold out?

I disagree with their tactics in the first game. The 0-0 benefits neither team. Barca wanted to score a few and secure the tie, Chelsea needed the away goal because it would have meant that Barca needed to attack from the start. Same scenario as last year. The fact that both Man Utd and Chelsea scored awesome goals doesn't mean that the tactics they employed produced the highest probability of them winning. You can't bank on a Scholes 30 yard strike into the top corner. You can't bank on an Essien half-volley with his weaker foot to hit the underside of the bar and bounce in. It's not something that you can rationally expect before the game. Yeah, Man Utd won last year and Chelsea were a minute or so from winning today but from an objective standpoint, the tactics they employed didn't give them a great chance of winning the whole tie because they still had to score and neither of them showed any intent of scoring before the wonder goals. In the long-run, if this Barca team can continue playing this way, they'll dominate the CL every year because the type of goals they score and their style of play means it's easier to score goals/dominate matches whereas Chelsea are always one goal away from being knocked out. From a probability standpoint, because of the possession and chances that Barca normally create, they're more likely to win matches than the team they're playing against.

If Man Utd and Barca played against each other 10 times last season, I'd bet that Barca would come out on top more often than Man Utd did because the way they dictate the game, pass the ball and attempt to score makes it much more likely that they will in fact score more goals than any other team. I'm speaking on statistical terms, though, so this obviously rules out a bunch of 30 yard strikes by Scholes because of how unlikely it is.

LOVE Drogba's reaction, diving prick doesn't deserve to play football again the way he play acts. Should join the Royal Shakespeare Company ffs.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45743000/jpg/_45743031_drogba_ap466.jpg

Alas poor Yorick....

:lol:

Guest timmy boy

I noticed this as well. Thought it was just me seeing things. Surely they're not restricted view or anything like that.

Its UEFA regulations, fans have to be a certain distance from the pitch or something. So at SJP are a ok as there is an area between pitch and the stand but stam bridge is right on the pitch so they have to have empty seats.

It was the back 5/6 rows though of the upper tier of the Mathew Harding stand I think its called.

The attendance was only 37857 and that is thousands under capacity. No reason for top tier seats to not be used. Looked like Barca had bigger than normal away allocation too. Surely they'd have sold out?

The away fans that Barca took is the full allocation, it's just in England hardly any teams take it. They normally just take the corner like us.

Check out ballacks face in this

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00545/iniesta_goal_585_545779a.jpg

:dowie:

"Pokeball Go" :lol:

Ok I'll shoop that give me five mins.

This wasn't justice for football it was justice for the paying fan. Did those thousands of Chelsea fans want to be bored silly by their own team? Do millions of homes across the country pay sky subscriptions to watch ten men line up behind the ball? No because the paying fan is the most neglected person in football.

I agree Hiddink had every right to set up the way he did. Going toe to toe with Barca would of been footballing suicide but you've got to have a balance. Chelsea are supposed to be one of the best teams in Europe, they are capable of playing some good stuff but instead they hid because getting the final was more important to them than providing a bit of entertainment to their fans. No they weren't being asked to go and take Barca apart but they could of at least tried to play a bit of football. Yes I know they created the odd chance but each and every one of those chances came from a long ball pumped out from the back four.

This was a justice for the fan because at the end of the day its the fans game. I'd weep the day I see two teams playing such negative, defensive football week in-week out. I understand why Chelsea did it, the need for a result, the pressure to get the final and the riches that go along with it but at the end of the day football is still a fans game. It may be an ever expanding business but I along with supporters all over the country do not put money into these greedy wankers pockets to see that kind of football. That is why, for me, justice was done.

You've put it much better than I've tried to for the past hour. Thanks :thup:

I appreciate that football should be played to be won, as opposed to not being beaten. However, Football is a sport, not an entertainment business - fans want to win, not to be entertained.

Your spot on it goes back to that ridiculous quote we got tagged with: "we'd rather lose 4-3 than win 1-0" of course we'd rather win, but Chelseas weren't even playing to win they were playing not to get beat, particulalrly in the first leg. Chelsea are good enought to play a bit of football and still win, if I was a season ticket holder at Stamford Bridge I'd be completely underwhelmed by what I saw tonight. They literally had two banks of five in front of the keeper for large parts of the game, is that really playing to win?

Spot on tactics in the first game, gave them a great chance to win it today.

Early goal scored, they're winning at this point. They reckoned the best chance of them to get the win was by parking the bus, and they really couldn't have been closer to being successful, against the team that is arguably the best on the planet.

But that's the point I'm trying to make. Did the fans, who are supposed to support one of the best teams in the world, travel all the way to the Nou Camp to watch the football they got? There's a difference between shiteing and riving your arse. Teams worse than Chelsea have nicked results from Barca by effectively combining defensive football with an effective counter attacking game, Chelsea didn't even show that, they rarely bothered to cross the half way line.

I rarely agree with the Sky Commentary team but they were spot on when they said realistically Chelsea needed two goals tonight to secure a safe passage through to the final. They turned up to sit back and continued to sit back when they scored the first. Does an ambitious team trying to reach the Champions League final really try to hold on a one goal lead against a side capable of scoring at any given moment? It was dull and it was dull because the football they tried to play was too negative. Thankfully it back fired on them

Never thought i'd want Man United to win anything, but i do now.

Never thought i'd want Man United to win anything, but i do now.

can't see why.

i hope barce win by playing the football they played just before christmas.

Never thought i'd want Man United to win anything, but i do now. Hope Ronaldo dicks on them, then join Real in the summer, to do the exact same thing in the league.

When I say SIX you say TWO

SIX

Never thought i'd want Man United to win anything, but i do now. Hope Ronaldo dicks on them, then join Real in the summer, to do the exact same thing in the league.

When I say SIX you say TWO

SIX

You think i'm going to go with the option that you allot to me? FIVE.

The away fans that Barca took is the full allocation, it's just in England hardly any teams take it. They normally just take the corner like us.

On the radio, they were wondering about the empty seats at the back of the Matthew Harding Stand as the game was supposed to be sold out.  They decided that the tickets had probably been reserved for the "UEFA Family" (corporates) but they hadn't turned up.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/8899/ballackball.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SIX  :coolsmiley:

Man United can lick my balls, Barca ftw. Man United won't be able to play as they will be so disheartened from the Pope telling them to "Fuck off!"

agree with all of that

Guest neesy111

Look, football won tonight. The team that actually plays football as it is supposed to be played, the team that tries to do the thing that you most want to see in football (score) went through and so every neutral football fan should happy.

If anyone's such a fan of defensive football, let me never hear you say a 0-0 match is boring.

There was only one team over 180 minutes who tried to play football and they went through. Now I hope they fucking thump Man Utd.

I'm glad Barca are through but that's rubbish. The English invented the game and we've never produced sides that play anything like the football Barca play.

i think you'll find the entertainers we're really good to watch and man utd's football last season was breathtaking

Guest neesy111

i personally much prefer direct attacking football of the sort man utd play (or liverpool in the past couple of months) over barca or arsenal's pass-pass-pass. the quick incisive counter-attack that Ronaldo scored from last night gives me far more pleasure than when barca or arsenal pass it in the middle of the opposition half pointlessly for half an hour and finally walk it in. Barcelona tonight failed to find a final ball 99% of the time and all their big stars went missing big time, particular Etoo, Messi and Alves, though at least the latter tried even if his delivery was shocking. if they're not making penetrative use of their possession then it's as boring as any catenaccio.

Spot on! I hate to say it, but I love watching Man U at their best.

Far far better than watching Barcelona and Arsenal. I agree.

i guess you didn't see barca thump real at the weekend

Tot el camp

és un clam

som la gent blaugrana

Tant se val d'on venim

si del sud o del nord

ara estem d'acord, ara estem d'acord,

una bandera ens agermana.

Blaugrana al vent

un crit valent

tenim un nom el sap tothom:

Barca, Bara, Baaarccaaa

Jugadors, seguidors,

tots units fem força.

Son molt anys plens d'afanys,

son molts gols que hem cridat

i s'ha demostrat, i s'ha demostrat,

que mai ningu no ens podrà torcer.

Blaugrana al vent

un crit valent

tenim un nom el sap tothom:

Barca, Barca, Baaarccaaa

i personally much prefer direct attacking football of the sort man utd play (or liverpool in the past couple of months) over barca or arsenal's pass-pass-pass. the quick incisive counter-attack that Ronaldo scored from last night gives me far more pleasure than when barca or arsenal pass it in the middle of the opposition half pointlessly for half an hour and finally walk it in. Barcelona tonight failed to find a final ball 99% of the time and all their big stars went missing big time, particular Etoo, Messi and Alves, though at least the latter tried even if his delivery was shocking. if they're not making penetrative use of their possession then it's as boring as any catenaccio.

Spot on! I hate to say it, but I love watching Man U at their best.

Far far better than watching Barcelona and Arsenal. I agree.

i guess you didn't see barca thump real at the weekend

I did, and it was exceptional. Except for me, it's more fun watching a Man Utd. outfit firing on all cylinders. Rooney in particular has that explosiveness that makes him look like an entire team at times. At 2-0 up last night, he was at left back defending for a chunk of the match when he could have been lazily waiting up front for a counter. For me, the high energy. high quality laced with blood and thunder played by Man Utd is breathtaking.