The other games today - 2008/09

Dave

Chelsea one up at Villa.

Great finish from Anelka but excellent from Lampard to put him in.

Villa are unbelievably average getting by on luck and late goals

You win the(Booby)prize for the daftest comment of the year so far....unbelievable..!

Chelsea one up at Villa.

You win the(Booby)prize for the daftest comment of the year so far....unbelievable..!

Really? I must have missed them consistently playing teams off the park. As far as I can see, their reputation they've supposedly built up this season has been based on a small handful games where their attacking talent has blended together.

Average is a bit harsh, they're a good side, but true, they've got the rub of the green with a lot of things up to now: interesting to see how they bounce back after the past 7 days.

Guest timmy boy

Chelsea one up at Villa.

Really? I must have missed them consistently playing teams off the park. As far as I can see, their reputation they've supposedly built up this season has been based on a small handful games where their attacking talent has blended together.

Average is a bit harsh, they're a good side, but true, they've got the rub of the green with a lot of things up to now: interesting to see how they bounce back after the past 7 days.

Alan Green seems to agree with you going on this article.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/columnists/alan-green/alan-green-no-thrill-in-villa-surge-14197749.html

Chelsea one up at Villa.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/columnists/alan-green/alan-green-no-thrill-in-villa-surge-14197749.html

Well you see it's hard to argue against Villa this season without inducing a response based on a "so you don't want Villa to break the top 4?"

It was always going to be the case that we'd see what they were made of when things stopped going their way as much. The next 3 or 4 games will give us a decent clue.

Best of luck to them but hopefully people see past the hyperbole.

Where's the hyperbole, though? I've heard people saying that they're playing some good football, which I agree with. I've heard people say that they create plenty of chances in a game; something I also agree with. And I've heard people say that they're winning games so they've got a great chance of breaking the top 4; something I also agree with. That's pretty much it. I haven't read or heard anyone say that they're passing teams off the park or playing football that would make Wenger and Fergie drool.

Their style of football is different. They play it quick but don't have the incisiveness of Man Utd or Arsenal. But even though they don't make twenty delicious, sumptuous passes before taking a shot, they create a fuckload of decent to good chances per game and with a few decent strikers, they've been able to finish a number of those chances. They play to their strengths; they send balls into channels for Agbonlahor to run after because he's quicker than most players on the pitch; they stretch the game side to side so that their better players like Ashley Young have space to create chances. Each facet of their style complements another, which is why they're a good team. And if a team's able to consistently score one or two every game, they're going to win or draw most of their matches - something which Villa have done.

I've heard their critics say that they've scored a shitload amount of goals late on, fluking their way to wins. This is just one amongst many unfair criticisms; scoring late goals is a skill. It requires concentration, determination, stamina, perseverence etc. If they don't score a lucky goal i.e. one that's been deflected 3 times on the way in, then that's luck. But scoring a legitimate (read: not lucky) goal late on requires as much skill as scoring a legitimate goal at any other time so this is a shit and unfair criticism of Villa.

O'Neill has a knack of getting the best out of individual players, and building teams that are better than the sum of their parts.

True, their football is below what you'd call Champions League standard, but you don't have to play the opposition off the park to win a game. You just have to have that edge.

Seems Ramos is doing a good job at Real, 9 wins in a row for them (only conceded 2 goals in those 9 games too) with Raul playing brilliantly. Definitely not the best time for Liverpool to face them.

I'd fucking love it if they did Liverpool over with Raul punching one in like he did to Leeds a while back.

Chelsea one up at Villa.

The day that Alan Green is right about football will be the day I give it up...I'd love him to have said that to Cloughie about one of his sides - Clough would have had him for breakfast with a few words, such as 'that's why you are a journalist, and I am a manager , Alan..'

O'Neill has a knack of getting the best out of individual players, and building teams that are better than the sum of their parts.

True, their football is below what you'd call Champions League standard, but you don't have to play the opposition off the park to win a game. You just have to have that edge.

Whenever I've seen Villa this season, they've looked like a trademark O'Neill team - i.e, long ball + hard work. Just with slightly better players than he's had previously. Still, the amount of times they punt it long is pretty ridiculous for a side that supposedly plays decent football.

I'm jealous of their success, but not of the way they're achieving it.

Guest timmy boy

Fulham V West Brom on at the minute, still 0-0. West Brom's defence is shocking some real comical stuff. Dempsey hit the bar with a 25 yarder, all Fulham so far. Draw would suit us.

Fulham V West Brom on at the minute, still 0-0. West Brom's defence is shocking some real comical stuff. Dempsey hit the bar with a 25 yarder, all Fulham so far. Draw would suit us.

No Fulham pretty much safe IMO...Fulham win would be a better result.

Guest timmy boy

No Fulham pretty much safe IMO...Fulham win would be a better result.

Yeah I agree Fulham are looking safe at the moment but we can still catch them, glass half full and all that.

Fulham hit the woodwork 3 times, West Brom nearly scored a own goal from a diving header, Zamora just missed a great chance, dunno how it's still 0-0.

Fulham have hit the woodwork 3 times so far. West Brom's defending is abysmal.

West Brom have the most irresponsible central midfield in terms of helping out defensively. It's crazy.

Feel bad for their defenders tbh.