The other games today - 2008/09

Dave

Not really a logical argument to say chelsea represent this side that wasnt trying to score atall simply because they didnt have as much possession.

They had far more chances to score or get clear goalscoring chances than Barcelona.

Dont understand people that say chelsea were messed up for trying to "nulify" barcelonas attack. What is wrong with this?? You may aswell start asking what the point of defending is atall in football. Ofcourse they tried to nulify Barcelonas attack.....Barcelona cut through sides easily......for chelsea to stop this happening to them they had to crowd them out.

Wheres the problem ???

Look, football won tonight. The team that actually plays football as it is supposed to be played, the team that tries to do the thing that you most want to see in football (score) went through and so every neutral football fan should happy.

If anyone's such a fan of defensive football, let me never hear you say a 0-0 match is boring.

There was only one team over 180 minutes who tried to play football and they went through. Now I hope they f***ing thump Man Utd.

I'm glad Barca are through but that's rubbish. The English invented the game and we've never produced sides that play anything like the football Barca play.

hell of a point tbh

I only saw one clear penalty tonight and that was Pique's handball, not sure why the others have been classed as clear cut penalties.

The first two were probably pens, but difficult calls for the ref. In the case of the first, the foul began outside the area. In the second, it looked like Drogba had lost control of the ball anyway, and there wasn't a lot of contact to spot.

The fourth I thought was definitely not. How can it be deliberate handball when the defender has turned his back to the attacker like that? If anything, too many pens get given in that situation of blocked shots - in reality there's not much time or opportunity for the defender to see where the ball's going and get their hand out the way.

I thought the last 2 were fairly clear cut, especially the third, however the other 2 and the sending off shouldn't have been anything.

Nevertheless, it's great to see them bastards get a taste of their own medicine, the better footballing team went through and the final will be more of a spectacle as a result.

Look, football won tonight. The team that actually plays football as it is supposed to be played, the team that tries to do the thing that you most want to see in football (score) went through and so every neutral football fan should happy.

If anyone's such a fan of defensive football, let me never hear you say a 0-0 match is boring.

There was only one team over 180 minutes who tried to play football and they went through. Now I hope they fucking thump Man Utd.

I'm glad Barca are through but that's rubbish. The English invented the game and we've never produced sides that play anything like the football Barca play.

It's irrelevant that the English have never produced sides like Barca because that may been their aim the whole time but they just couldn't achieve it. I'm also pretty sure the inventors of the game never imagined that set-pieces, fouls, defensive tactics etc. would twist what football's actually all about. I'm also not sure your statement is true anyway because there have been some awesome football sides over the past 150 years, even though Barca are fucking incredible.

But, I mean, why do fouls exist? To make sure that the team that disrupts the game is punished, I'm guessing. The fact that teams like Chelsea actually use fouling to their advantage is twisting how football's meant to be played. A foul is punishment when you make a mistake, but when Iniesta is purposely hacked down again and again whenever he skips away from a Chelsea midfielder, I think that Chelsea are ruining football on purpose. The rules that have been created so that teams that aim to play football fairly benefit but teams like Chelsea and others (Bolton and Stoke, for example) try to win at the cost of actually playing the game. Of course, they do things that are legal (like long throws) but I can't help but feel that they, and many other teams, miss the real point of the game. That's why I like Barca's team this season, a lot. They look like they enjoy playing, it's fucking fun to watch and like I said, they play it the way it's played when you're a kid and all every kid wants to do is score - none of this bs diving (Alves is exception), whining, long-throws, route-one shite. Just pass, move and score.

Maybe in a way Chelsea were robbed on the night in terms of the pens. End of the day, the two best outfits in Europe will be contesting the final, which is the only real way to determine the true champions.

You know what, aside from us going down this has probably been the most entertaining year of football in a long, long while.

I was thinking this too. It'd be great if it wasn't for our bullshit.

i personally much prefer direct attacking football of the sort man utd play (or liverpool in the past couple of months) over barca or arsenal's pass-pass-pass. the quick incisive counter-attack that Ronaldo scored from last night gives me far more pleasure than when barca or arsenal pass it in the middle of the opposition half pointlessly for half an hour and finally walk it in. Barcelona tonight failed to find a final ball 99% of the time and all their big stars went missing big time, particular Etoo, Messi and Alves, though at least the latter tried even if his delivery was shocking. if they're not making penetrative use of their possession then it's as boring as any catenaccio.

Guest Heneage

Having watched both semi's its disgraceful how easy most players go down these days. It ruins the flow of the game, and is just boring

What's the best feeling in football as a fan? Seeing a goal scored.

Why is football often called the beautiful game? Because of the movement, the fluidity - 'poetry in motion'.

I cited the way kids play football above because that's when none of the bullshit has set in. No money involved, no win-at-all-costs mentality, no diving. It's a game, at the end of the day, and Barca play it the way it's supposed to.

Team fouls/match   Total fouls

Liverpool 17.5 175

Chelsea 17.42 209

Bremen 17 102

Anorthosis 16.33 98

Celtic 16.17 97

Bayern 15.9 159

Roma 15.88 127

Atlético 15.88 127

CFR Cluj 15.33 92

Zenit 15.17 91

Arsenal 14.83 178

Real Madrid 14.5 116

Porto 14.5 145

Basel 14 84

AaB 13.33 80

Man. United 13.08 157

Villarreal 12.9 129

Barcelona 11.5 138

Marseille 10.33 62

Liverpool ain't top, I just cut out the top half of the table to show difference between the teams that matter.

im just scared of todays generation of young hopeful boys that will represent football wich is produced by teams like Chelsea lets say 10-15 years from now

Absolute rubbish. Nothing wrong with the way Chelsea played tonight. They played to a plan that was nearly masterfully drafted by Hiddink and executed by the players. It was a semi final of a tournament Chelsea have shelled out millions to try and win, and they had to do everything they could to win. In the end, the better team has gone through, but you can't criticize Chelsea's performance as anti-football.

Guest TrEe

Has any of you even seen the game? Chelsea had much more fire power in attack and created lots of goal scoring opertunitys!! Barcalona had one shot on target all night, and that was in the 90 min.

Ofcourse Chelsea's game plan was to defend and play on the counter after they got their 1-0 lead, as any team would have done!!

Do you realy think Barcalona would have 70 % of the ball if it was them that got the early lead?

If it were the other way around, you would probley argue that Chelsea were toothless in front of goal, and Barcalona were class on the counter :idiot2:

Don't get me wrong, as I couldn't give a fuck who went threw, But Chelsea must feel hard done by!!!

Team    possession % average/match

Barcelona 62 %

Real Madrid 56 %

Bremen 56 %

Man. United 54 %

PSV 54 %

Zenit 54 %

Arsenal 54 %

Bordeaux 53 %

Villarreal 52 %

Panathinaikos 51 %

Fenerbahçe 51 %

Liverpool 51 %

Shakhtar 50 %

Bayern 50 %

Internazionale 50 %

Marseille 50 %

Chelsea 50 %

Not even fuckin' close.

i personally much prefer direct attacking football of the sort man utd play (or liverpool in the past couple of months) over barca or arsenal's pass-pass-pass. the quick incisive counter-attack that Ronaldo scored from last night gives me far more pleasure than when barca or arsenal pass it in the middle of the opposition half pointlessly for half an hour and finally walk it in. Barcelona tonight failed to find a final ball 99% of the time and all their big stars went missing big time, particular Etoo, Messi and Alves, though at least the latter tried even if his delivery was shocking. if they're not making penetrative use of their possession then it's as boring as any catenaccio.

Bang on. Specially the last sentence, was another boring match up until the end tonight I thought, much more exciting when Chelsea were in possession too.

Missed the last half hour because of various women. How did Messi do in the second half, anyone?

Not much apart from set up the goal.

What's the best feeling in football as a fan? Seeing a goal scored.

Why is football often called the beautiful game? Because of the movement, the fluidity - 'poetry in motion'.

I cited the way kids play football above because that's when none of the bullshit has set in. No money involved, no win-at-all-costs mentality, no diving. It's a game, at the end of the day, and Barca play it the way it's supposed to.

Team    fouls/match   Total fouls

Liverpool 17.5 175

Chelsea 17.42 209

Bremen 17 102

Anorthosis 16.33 98

Celtic 16.17 97

Bayern 15.9 159

Roma 15.88 127

Atlético 15.88 127

CFR Cluj 15.33 92

Zenit 15.17 91

Arsenal 14.83 178

Real Madrid 14.5 116

Porto 14.5 145

Basel 14 84

AaB 13.33 80

Man. United 13.08 157

Villarreal 12.9 129

Barcelona 11.5 138

Marseille 10.33 62

Liverpool ain't top, I just cut out the top half of the table to show difference between the teams that matter.

that doesn't necessarily mean that the teams at the bottom of the list are less dirty. could just mean they control possession more so have less time in which to foul.

however i totally agree about the sentiment of the post.

Yes but the Chelsea we've seen over two legs doesn't fall into either category.

This wasn't justice for football it was justice for the paying fan. Did those thousands of Chelsea fans want to be bored silly by their own team? Do millions of homes across the country pay sky subscriptions to watch ten men line up behind the ball? No because the paying fan is the most neglected person in football.

I agree Hiddink had every right to set up the way he did. Going toe to toe with Barca would of been footballing suicide but you've got to have a balance. Chelsea are supposed to be one of the best teams in Europe, they are capable of playing some good stuff but instead they hid because getting the final was more important to them than providing a bit of entertainment to their fans. No they weren't being asked to go and take Barca apart but they could of at least tried to play a bit of football. Yes I know they created the odd chance but each and every one of those chances came from a long ball pumped out from the back four.

This was a justice for the fan because at the end of the day its the fans game. I'd weep the day I see two teams playing such negative, defensive football week in-week out. I understand why Chelsea did it, the need for a result, the pressure to get the final and the riches that go along with it but at the end of the day football is still a fans game. It may be an ever expanding business but I along with supporters all over the country do not put money into these greedy wankers pockets to see that kind of football. That is why, for me, justice was done.

The main thing is those jellied eel eating, whinging, cheating, Chelsea rent boys got a taste of their own medicine tonight, at the hands of a brilliant, fluent Barcelona side.

Come on the Catalans in the grand finale.