Looks like Shay is on his way

Dave

This is as much a response to ashley's glorious statement of intent as the result on sunday. Shay sees right through ashley, he's been here long enough to know when someone's taking the piss. That's why he says that the only foreseeable future is a battle at the bottom - because that is ashley's target.

City head chase for wantaway Shay

Published Date: 02 January 2009

E-mail Miles Starforth

MANCHESTER City are leading the chase for Newcastle United goalkeeper Shay Given.

Long-serving Given's representative last night called on the club to let the player talk to three clubs who have expressed an interest in him.

Along with City, Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur are also keen on the 32-year-old, who somehow kept Liverpool's score in single figures during last Sunday's 5-1 drubbing at St James's Park, a game which Given's lawyer Michael Kennedy has labelled the "lowest point of his football career".

Ideally, Given would like to switch to the Emirates Stadium, but the odds are against Arsene Wenger, famously reluctant to spend big in the transfer market, making an acceptable bid for him.

Wenger's priority in this month's transfer window is a midfielder to replace long-term injury victim Cesc Fabregas, and it is likely United will value Given – under contract at St James's Park until the summer of 2011 – at upwards of £8m.

That would not be a problem for money bags City, whose manager Mark Hughes is looking for an experienced goalkeeper to compete with 21-year-old Joe Hart for a place between the posts.

Manager Joe Kinnear had said Given was "very happy" on Tyneside earlier this week, and insisted he was not for sale at any price.

Kinnear's comments appear to have forced Given's hand, and Kennedy claims the player "feels compelled to consider his position" due to "turmoil on and off the pitch".

Newcaslte's fans, however, will question the timing of the bombshell, with tomorrow's FA Cup tie away to Hull City the only chance for the club to salvage something from yet another troubled campaign.

"Shay is very despondent following the very poor performance of the team against Liverpool last weekend," read Kennedy's statement.

"It was the lowest point of his football career and a performance that he would not wish to be repeated.

"When he signed a new five-year contract in 2006 it was on the basis that the club would challenge for major honours, but on the present evidence all that he can see ahead with the turmoil on and off the pitch is a battle for survival.

"Having served the club loyally for over 11 years, Shay feels compelled to consider his position in the light of the interest being expressed in him by Manchester City, Arsenal and Tottenham."

Kinnear, meanwhile, will have to decide whether Given is in the right frame of mind to line up at the KC Stadium, and Steve Harper could be in line for his first appearance of the season.

Double figures, see you later.

Get Ben Foster in for peanuts since his contract is running out.

Given's a great keeper, but has so many flaws and faults, and at 32 double figures in such a weird economical climate is good business.

Trying to look at the very small positives here. Also a player who wants to go is never best kept at a club, especially a keeper.

It's a good job then that Ashley is staying then so he can sort out this mess.

I think this will be the final straw with a lot of people.

aye, well when the inevitable outcome arrives, we will need a board to come along and show some ambition, back their managers, to get the crowds and interest back again when 25000-30000 disappear.  Ooopppsss.........

Agree with madras when he asks why he didn't put a transfer request in if he's unhappy? That's the right way to go about things surely?

Doing it like this is underhand when I think about it. I don't blame him in the slightest for being pissed off and wanting away but at least do things the way they should be done eh?

Thing is, whatever you think of Given, he loves the club, and if he feels the need to speak out, he's letting the fans know that there is something wrong.

The current board has a reputation for getting its defence in before the event, ie Milner, or Owen's contract, so by doing it this way, he's making it clear who he thinks are in the wrong on all this.

Throwing an official transfer request sends out that exact same message. As I've said - if he's unhappy at the club, hoy a request to leave in. Don't be snidey about it and link yourself to other clubs in public.

Don't blame him for going but do it properly.

Think he'd want to stay though if things would sort themselves out.

With a silent transfer request, the club can just imply, a la Milner, that he's been tapped up and that nothing can be done if a player wants out.

Given has gone for the kicking and screaming variety that will put pressure on the board rather than on the player.

This is as much a response to ashley's glorious statement of intent as the result on sunday. Shay sees right through ashley, he's been here long enough to know when someone's taking the piss. That's why he says that the only foreseeable future is a battle at the bottom - because that is ashley's target.

:clap:

Guest BooBoo

aye, well when the inevitable outcome arrives, we will need a board to come along and show some ambition, back their managers, to get the crowds and interest back again when 25000-30000 disappear.  Ooopppsss.........

I pity your family.

Guest The Libertine

is this spam yet?

I pity your family.

shame you can't comment constructively on it eh ?

Guest BooBoo

I pity your family.

I just think you have a lot of problems and issues. You talk sense at times but just cant help yourself. Get some professional help, for your own sake.

My position is clear. If you want to take it to PM, I'll happily do so.

part of Givens quote

‘When he signed a new five-year contract in 2006 it was on the basis that the club would challenge for major honours, but on the present evidence all that he can see ahead with the turmoil on and off the pitch is a battle for survival."

Pm me about it if you like, but I can't see the point. This, in my opinion, is what this is all about, however you and one or two others might wish to deny it.

we haven't challenged for major honours since robsons team finished 3rd, been downhill ever since.

3rd. Under the embarrassing old regime ? You don't say. How can that be possible.

Back on topic, interesting to see the expected people now glossing over this and building up Harper. Probably said the same thing about Ian Bogie replacing Gazza. How marvellous to see the club with the 3rd biggest support in the country resort to losing its best players again.

On the other hand, as mick predictably doesn't reply, I'm only 99.9% sure.

because you know,like the vast majority of people on here who think the previous board done well,then lost it.

we've been over this a million times and it's pointless as you wont accept the way the club was going backwrads under the previous board.

you could say it was as bad as selling ferdinand ,against his will in the large part aswell.

see post 290.

yip the club took action...........they appointed souness and roeder.

Shame we don't appoint the right man every time just like everybody else does.

been here before and you never name a club who made such poor decisions as often and didn't take the blame for it.

eerrr........but they have. They have gone, you have what you wanted. Automatic better replacements ?

and they deserved the blame..yes ?

are you admitting their appointments took the club backwards ?

told you this before. If "blame" means the best 15 years supporting the club, by far, in terms of league positions, european qualifications, and bringing top footballers to the club, than anything before, then I don't blame them for anything.

We are going backwards now, because the ambition is lower than before.

so you don't think we were going backwards after that 3rd place finish ?

Similar to the one posted before:

Shay Given may be axed for Hull FA Cup clash

Jan 2 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Shay Given

SHAY GIVEN could be facing the axe ahead of Newcastle United’s crunch FA Cup clash with Hull City.

That is the dilemma facing Toon boss Joe Kinnear at the club’s Benton HQ today.

It comes after Given made it clear to his representatives that he was “considering his options” which threw the gauntlet down to Arsenal, Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur who are all interested in signing the Republic of Ireland No 1.

Arsenal are believed to be leading the way for Given, but it could cost them £10m with the player under contract until 2011 at St James’s Park.

Given was outstanding against Liverpool and kept the score down to five as the Merseysiders ran riot and, although the player was visibly upset at the final whistle as he made his way down the tunnel, Kinnear and those close to Given claimed the keeper was staying put on Tyneside.

However, at 33 Given has to keep his options open, and the player has spent the last 24 hours reconsidering his future prompting the announcement from lawyer Michael Kennedy.

Now, with United facing a fight to keep their season alive, Kinnear must decide whether to stick with Given and hope the confusion around his future doesn’t affect his performance at the KC Stadium, or bring in the reliable Steve Harper to take on the Tigers.

With Tim Krul currently on loan at Carlisle United in League One, that would leave youngster Fraser Forster as back-up, but the Dutchman would almost certainly be recalled from Brunton Park if Given leaves the club.

Given’s lawyer Kennedy said: “Shay is very despondent following the poor performance of the team against Liverpool.

“It was the lowest point of his career and a performance that he would not wish to be repeated.

“When he signed a new five-year contract in 2006 it was on the basis that the club would challenge for honours.

“But on the present evidence all that he can see ahead with turmoil on and off the pitch is a battle for survival.

“Having served the club loyally for 11 years, Shay feels compelled to consider his position in the light of the interest being shown in him by Man City, Arsenal and Tottenham.”

Meanwhile, Kinnear has warned Hull they face a battle to stay in the FA Cup regardless of what XI he is able to field at the KC Stadium tomorrow.

United are down to the bare bones for their crucial encounter with Hull, which could keep their season alive.

Kinnear has doubts over stars like Nicky Butt, Shola Ameobi and Jose Enrique for tomorrow’s match.

But he still feels that no matter which players pull on a black-and-white shirt on Humberside, Phil Brown’s side will have to fight for their lives to stay in the competition.

Kinnear – whose side will be backed by 2,700 Geordies at the KC Stadium – told the Chronicle: “All the fans who travel there will see a side giving it everything, no matter what the team is.

“The nature of our fans has been magnificent.

“They have stood with us and they aren’t the type of fans who are fooled.

“They will see our players working hard. We aren’t throwing in the towel.”

United ended 2008 on a bad note against Liverpool after Rafa Benitez’s side wiped the floor with the Magpies on home soil.

Yet, although confidence would undoubtedly have been dented by that big loss at St James’s, Kinnear has picked up his players in time for the visit to Hull.

He added: “We are looking forward to the Hull game despite our injury problems.

“I am not getting too downbeat about Liverpool.

“It was a day when nothing went for us and everything went against us.

“The match also came on the back of a tough game to Wigan.

“We have conceded three goals against Liverpool from set-pieces, two corners and a penalty kick.

“The third goal has killed us, and we paid the penalty at the start of the second half.”

Given's a great keeper, but has so many flaws and faults, and at 32 double figures in such a weird economical climate is good business.

Trying to look at the very small positives here. Also a player who wants to go is never best kept at a club, especially a keeper.

Be happy with Ben Foster coming in like, looked very impressive down at Watford.

SSN will have JFK on soonish n all for those at home.

Guest BooBoo

Be happy with Ben Foster coming in like, looked very impressive down at Watford.

SSN will have JFK on soonish n all for those at home.

I'd stick with Harper and see how Forster gets on. Him and Krul are good prospects and would be worth a go in the long term.

Given's a great keeper, but has so many flaws and faults

Why is he a great keeper if he has many flaws & faults?

You saying he hasn't?

No but I would never call someone great with many flaws & faults.

Just so you know, I only really worry about the shots & headers being stopped. He had that phase when long shots were flying past him but I think we over that happening as regularly as last season.

I pity your family.

I just think you have a lot of problems and issues. You talk sense at times but just cant help yourself. Get some professional help, for your own sake.

oh dear. A bit over the top, don't you think. Coming from one of the biggest fools on here too ........