Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

Who cares any more, we need the money, whatever we get for him. He's clearly played his last game for us.

really? I don't think so.

You don't think he's half out the door as it is? Of course I don't want us to be raped money-wise, but I'd take the fairest offer they can give us in a shot now. Especially since he's put in a transfer request. There's hardly any time for us to spend any money as it is.

Isn't the fairest offer they can give us just whatever they offer?  No we shouldn't accept that (currently £5 million).  We should tell them and Given to fuck right off, we've agreed to his transfer request but that doesn't mean we have to accept whatever Man City throw our way.

Guest Stephen927

We should have played hard ball.

They've overplayed on other players, yet they are trying to take the piss out of NUFC. I would say £10m or on your bike, we'll continue these discussions in the summer if you're still interested.

Shay could have picked a better time to leave, so if City don't get their way he will be able to see what its like playing second fiddle on the bench.

EDIT: Teasy  :thup:

Who cares any more, we need the money, whatever we get for him. He's clearly played his last game for us.

You don't think he's half out the door as it is? Of course I don't want us to be raped money-wise, but I'd take the fairest offer they can give us in a shot now. Especially since he's put in a transfer request. There's hardly any time for us to spend any money as it is.

Isn't the fairest offer they can give us just whatever they offer? 

I don't know. I'm sure both clubs are very aware that we're not wanting to sell for £5m, so I'd only hope they can negotiate a fair price. Now I know we don't have to sell him as such but I'm personally just resigned to him leaving as it is. Anything below £8m and we should refuse though.

I hope he gets injured in his 1st game. Dont get me wrong I love(d) Given, He is just showing no ambition and is only interested in the Money. He should hold out and move to a club who he can further his career with for example Arsenal a team who may win sumting in the coming years.

You say that but I bet man city win alot more than arsenal over the coming years!!

I bet they don't.

Put your money where your mouth is then?? 20p  O0

Guest Slippery Sam

Given will have a season, maybe two, at Man City. As soon as they start moving up the league and become a more attractive proposition, better goalies than Shay will be bought by them.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up back here in a couple of years to try and get the appearance record. We'll see.

I suppose if you can't go to one of the top 4 then City are just as good an option as anyone, and there's the massive money to boot.

If he was a bit younger I suppose the top 4 would be interested.

How old was Van Der Sar when he signed for Manchester United?

I hope he gets injured in his 1st game. Dont get me wrong I love(d) Given, He is just showing no ambition and is only interested in the Money. He should hold out and move to a club who he can further his career with for example Arsenal a team who may win sumting in the coming years.

You say that but I bet man city win alot more than arsenal over the coming years!!

I bet they don't.

Put your money where your mouth is then?? 20p   O0

Make it one English pound!!

I bet they don't.

Whoa, don't go too far lads.

Isn't the fairest offer they can give us just whatever they offer? 

I don't know. I'm sure both clubs are very aware that we're not wanting to sell for £5m, so I'd only hope they can negotiate a fair price. Now I know we don't have to sell him as such but I'm personally just resigned to him leaving as it is. Anything below £8m and we should refuse though.

Fair enough yeah I'd say we should be going for £10 million at the moment, wait until they increase it and then say £9 million final.  At this stage I'd be happy enough with that.  If Given wasn't stamping his feet so much £12 million would be the lowest acceptable offer.

I bet they don't.

Nah you've obviously got some inside information risking all that.

Five Live just said the same. Been given permission to talk, not yet agreed a fee.

This could be a good move for us - if Man City agree with Shay then they know they have there player, other than the price and with there number 1 target on board im sure they'll succumb to a decent compromise.

You don't negotiate deals in real life do you?

Five Live just said the same. Been given permission to talk, not yet agreed a fee.

This could be a good move for us - if Man City agree with Shay then they know they have there player, other than the price and with there number 1 target on board im sure they'll succumb to a decent compromise.

You don't negotiate deals in real life do you?

Not yet.

Never realised the trade of human workers was part of real life, who knows what the protocol is? I'm pretty confident you dont, all i know is that Man C know they have there man, knowing its a matter of price we dont have budge on our demands they're more likley to budge with theres, they know the offer is derogatory and the later it gets the more tempting the deal will be.

Either that or they agree terms with Shay, and stick to there £5m offer which woulod be pointless.

By letting him talk, they can have one part of the transfer sorted.

The alternative is that they dont agree a price with us, they dont get chance to speak to shay and they have 24hours to find a keeper as good as shay for the simlar prices (baring in mind very very few clubs will sell there first choice with 24 hours to go).

I can't understand people wishing Given good luck. Fuck him! He's forcing a move to one of our rivals at our moment of need. If you want to wish anyone good luck it should be Harper and the other Newcastle goalkeepers.

Regarding the transfer, let him have a medical and agree terms with Man City now. We should then keep rejecting their offers up until the last minute of February the 2nd. See how hard we can push them.

I can't understand people wishing Given good luck. f*** him! He's forcing a move to one of our rivals at our moment of need. If you want to wish anyone good luck it should be Harper and the other Newcastle goalkeepers.

Regarding the transfer, let him have a medical and agree terms with Man City now. We should then keep rejecting their offers up until the last minute of February the 2nd. See how hard we can push them.

I hope he plays well(just to prove me right about him) but i hope Man City crash and burn and that he doesn't get the trophy he's looking for.

They've overplayed on other players, yet they are trying to take the piss out of NUFC. I would say £10m or on your bike, we'll continue these discussions in the summer if you're still interested.

Shay could have picked a better time to leave, so if City don't get their way he will be able to see what its like playing second fiddle on the bench.

There's nothing to talk about in the summer, he can just walk.

How do you work that out?

Guest neesy111

he's still got 2 years on his contract still, the club could just refuse tbh

Guest ObaStar

I think they have given him permission to tall to City cause after city have a deal with him they will be more likely to raise their price. If they think that 2 million is all thats dstanding between them and a top keeper and they can't get santa cruz they will just snap their fingers and make it happen

he's still got 2 years on his contract still, the club could just refuse tbh

Oh right, just ignore my confusion

*saunters off*

As much as I like Given, surely its best all around if he does go now as long as we get a good value for him. Harper is not that far behind him and we have a set of promising youngster to back him up..

As much as I like Given, surely its best all around if he does go now as long as we get a good value for him. Harper is not that far behind him and we have a set of promising youngster to back him up..

Harper is no were near his ability...fact hes very! overated

If the money is re-invested elsewhere in the team, then it's a good move. Better to stay up without Given then to go down with him whilst blaming the rest of the team for losing us matches.