Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

Guest Heneage

No player our way? Well f***ing done you fools.

How do you know we didn't try and got rejected by the player?

Would explain how it took so long to negotiate a fee, perhaps we were trying to get one of their players into the bargain.

Even on loan? We weren't exactly going to ask for Elano, Sturridge and Gelson aren't first choice, and I'm sure both would jump at the chance of regular first team football for 6 months if not just to put themselves in the shop window for the summer. Kieran Richardson to WBA ring any bells?

Guest NobbyOhNobby

whether this deal is good for the club depends solely on how we use the money. if those with the power do whats right then the positives will out weigh the negatives, simple as that.

All will be revealed tomorrow, if we sign a keeper it'll be ridiculous, but if we sign players we actually need then it's a positive move

Guest afternoonfix

newcastle have refused him a testimonial as part of the deal...........s*** move on their behalf

source???

twas on the radio over the weekend,therefore he had to put in a request, it'll all come to light in time.

Not overly bothered to be honest, good keeper, has put in a good shift for the the club and has moved on. We're not significantly weaker by his loss, hopefully the money will be spent well, we could have a more influential outfield player through the sale of Shay, which is what we're crying out for (as well as a good manager).

Sad to see this actually happen, despite knowing full well for the last few weeks that it was coming...

He's been unhappy with our direction for the last few years, and has been very vocal about it. He obviously had enough, and I can't argue with his decision to want to move on. The only thing that pisses me off is the manner in which it happened. Our hand seems to have been forced into selling our prize asset for (reportedly) much less than I thought we should value him at. Shay actions (through those of his agent) have been very unprofessional, and I've lost a bit of respect for him as a result. It'll fucking hurt seeing him playing in a Man City shirt...  :weep:

He's a money greedy cunt.

Guest guinness_fiend

newcastle have refused him a testimonial as part of the deal...........s*** move on their behalf

Sick

To be frank, he doesn't deserve one if he asked to move.  He could have waited until the summer and possibly kept us in the Premiership, at which point no sane Toon fan would have any issues with him wanting to better himself, but he was blinded by greed and self-preservation and decided to jump ship. 

Thanks Shay for all of your hard work over the years, but you have deserted us at a time where we desperately need stability, so I wish you all the best ensuring that Manchester City stay in the Premiership, which is not guaranteed by any means, given that they are only four points ahead of us at the moment.

newcastle have refused him a testimonial as part of the deal...........shit move on their behalf

Good.

He's coined enough over the last few weeks and then refused to play Wednesday night in an arrogant attempt to force the club's hand.  Well done to them for holding out & forcing the transfer transfer request.

Doesn't deserve a testimonial after the last month.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Harper deserves a testimonial as well.

Why dont they just call 'testimonials' 'testies'?

hahahaha! That's mint, well played!

"Who's going to come back to play in Shay Given's testie? Darren Ambrose, Jermaine Jenas, Ashley Cole, Justin Fashanu?"