Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

Surely if Given is going Harper would be told "We see you as his replacement" I can't see why Harper would suddenly want to leave.

Probably hasnt helped when JFK has come out and effectively said he doesnt rate Harper . Can see them both wanting off, neither owe us anything at all.

I'd still be suprised if Harper left before the Summer though.

When was that?

Guest Heneage

Surely if Given is going Harper would be told "We see you as his replacement" I can't see why Harper would suddenly want to leave.

Probably because he sees exactly what Shay sees.

Oh come on we are not that bad, don't be mellow dramatic.

We have the players to survive. But as is always with this board, its not a case of is the glass Half full or Empty, we've not even got a fucking glass man. Most games are ticked off as loses, with people just piling more misery on if we lose. In every league season there are surprise results, Pompey 3-0 anyone? For all we know we could nick 6 points this week in two scrappy 1-0's, but we could also lose 4-0 in both and come out with 0 points. So why bother being all doom and gloom, why not try supporting the team? I've seen worse XI's than this do better, so there is no real reason to be getting suicidal.

Even if we go down, at least we have a Football club, look at Leeds losing to Histon in the cup, seen more players come and go than you can remember, they might as well print shirt names on velcro.

We have the players to survive. But as is always with this board, its not a case of is the glass Half full or Empty, we've not even got a fucking glass man. Most games are ticked off as loses, with people just piling more misery on if we lose. In every league season there are surprise results, Pompey 3-0 anyone? For all we know we could nick 6 points this week in two scrappy 1-0's, but we could also lose 4-0 in both and come out with 0 points. So why bother being all doom and gloom, why not try supporting the team? I've seen worse XI's than this do better, so there is no real reason to be getting suicidal.

Even if we go down, at least we have a Football club, look at Leeds losing to Histon in the cup, seen more players come and go than you can remember, they might as well print shirt names on velcro.

I think the fact that Harper hasn't signed the new contract by now is hugely significant considering Shay has virtually asked to leave.

Probably hasnt helped when JFK has come out and effectively said he doesnt rate Harper . Can see them both wanting off, neither owe us anything at all.

I'd still be suprised if Harper left before the Summer though.

When was that?

When he said he chose Shay "the better of the two", shocking I know!

Guest Heneage

We have the players to survive. But as is always with this board, its not a case of is the glass Half full or Empty, we've not even got a f***ing glass man. Most games are ticked off as loses, with people just piling more misery on if we lose. In every league season there are surprise results, Pompey 3-0 anyone? For all we know we could nick 6 points this week in two scrappy 1-0's, but we could also lose 4-0 in both and come out with 0 points. So why bother being all doom and gloom, why not try supporting the team? I've seen worse XI's than this do better, so there is no real reason to be getting suicidal.

I think the fact that Harper hasn't signed the new contract by now is hugely significant considering Shay has virtually asked to leave.

See but even if he goes fine. Maybe he needs to go, there are other goalkeepers out there he won't be going till June/July anyway as he can't.  But to stay for years on the idea of taking the Number 1 jersey just to leave when you get the chance strikes me as daft even if we are as close to the sun as people make out.

There's no guarantee at all that Given will leave at this point, you don't sign a contract in the hope something will happen.

Harper has spent his whole career waiting for first team Football at Newcastle United even though he's a good keeper and could have had it at numerous other clubs.  He's not going to walk out the moment he finally gets his chance as first choice keeper.

What Skirge said.

I'm surprised someone on here respects that joke of a publication enough to link to an article from it. I wouldn't even eat my chips off of that paper.

you're not talking about the Guardian are you

:lol:

I buy that paper from time to time. You mean to tell me you're not a fellow reader? I'm shocked.

They're all atrocious to different levels and for different reasons.

I don't like rags telling me what I can or can't think therefore won't read the Guardian.

I don't like any anti-Newcastle rag, therefore HATE the Mirror.

My IQ is reasonably decent, so sneer at the Star and Sun

The Mirror's "myths and truth about immigration" where they just said "this is true and thats not" with no proof WHATSOVER sums that stinking rag up.

To me, THE worst paper, from ALL directions.

What Skirge said.

I'm surprised someone on here respects that joke of a publication enough to link to an article from it. I wouldn't even eat my chips off of that paper.

you're not talking about the Guardian are you

:lol:

I buy that paper from time to time. You mean to tell me you're not a fellow reader? I'm shocked.

They're all atrocious to different levels and for different reasons.

I don't like rags telling me what I can or can't think therefore won't read the Guardian.

I don't like any anti-Newcastle rag, therefore HATE the Mirror.

My IQ is reasonably decent, so sneer at the Star and Sun

The Mirror's "myths and truth about immigration" where they just said "this is true and thats not" with no proof WHATSOVER sums that stinking rag up.

To me, THE worst paper, from ALL directions.

The Mail's far worse.

Guest toonlass

Be careful Nixon, he might just take the flump if you disagree with him. Or it could snowball into a huge argument! On the other hand you could be (pink and) white.

Guest Heneage

Be careful Nixon, he might just take the flump if you disagree with him. Or it could snowball into a huge argument! On the other hand you could be (pink and) white.

My sincerest apologies *Melodramatic.  I forgot you are bereft of spelling mistakes.

My sincerest apologies *Melodramatic.  I forgot you are bereft of spelling mistakes.

We aren't training to be journalists O0

Guest Heneage

You do know, that no article goes from PC to print without being checked by about 2-3 people? And this is purely for fun, if it was work I'd read with some care.

You do know, that no article goes from PC to print without being checked by about 2-3 people? And this is purely for fun, if it was work I'd read with some care.

You've never read the Chronicle. :lol:

This forum feels like work at times.

I like harper, but he's been happy to play back-up to Shay for years and if he decides to leave just when it looks like he's going to get his chance, then you have to seriously question his ambition and self belief.

We have the players to survive. But as is always with this board, its not a case of is the glass Half full or Empty, we've not even got a f***ing glass man. Most games are ticked off as loses, with people just piling more misery on if we lose. In every league season there are surprise results, Pompey 3-0 anyone? For all we know we could nick 6 points this week in two scrappy 1-0's, but we could also lose 4-0 in both and come out with 0 points. So why bother being all doom and gloom, why not try supporting the team? I've seen worse XI's than this do better, so there is no real reason to be getting suicidal.

I like harper, but he's been happy to play back-up to Shay for years and if he decides to leave just when it looks like he's going to get his chance, then you have to seriously question his ambition and self belief.

not if he goes to a prem club as first choice.

Maybe his new contract offer is poor or maybe he's sick of being at a club that goes from one disaster to the other.

I'm sure he's had plenty of chances to sign for Prem clubs in the past 10 years and he hasn't taken them.

I'm sure he's had plenty of chances to sign for Prem clubs in the past 10 years and he hasn't taken them.

quite probably but if he moves to another prem club as first choice it hardly questions his ambition etc

quite probably but if he moves to another prem club as first choice it hardly questions his ambition etc

By questioning his ambition I mean retrospectively (if that makes any sense  ??? )  I mean you'd assume that the fact he's stuck around here for so long was because he was desperately hoping to be given a chance sooner or later.  So why move to another Prem club now when he could have been playing first team football for one years ago?

TBH at his age I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to move on a free as it will be his last big chance of a pay day and after the loyalty he's shown i wouldn't begrudge him that.

By questioning his ambition I mean retrospectively (if that makes any sense  ??? )  I mean you'd assume that the fact he's stuck around here for so long was because he was desperately hoping to be given a chance sooner or later.  So why move to another Prem club now when he could have been playing first team football for one years ago?

TBH at his age I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to move on a free as it will be his last big chance of a pay day and after the loyalty he's shown i wouldn't begrudge him that.

If we are trying to cut his wages, as someone suggested upthread, then that would explain his sudden enthusiasm for removing his arse from the bench.

Steve Harper is close to signing a new three-year contract extension at Newcastle United, the clearest sign yet that the club are paving the way for Shay Given to join Manchester City this week. Given and Michael Kennedy, his solicitor, will have talks with Derek Llambias, the Newcastle managing director, on Tyneside today, when the Ireland international will reiterate his desire to embrace a fresh challenge.

The long-serving Given is a pivotal figure at St James’ Park - a match-saving goalkeeper and hugely popular with fans - but while Joe Kinnear has spoken of his determination to retain his services, any decision may be removed from the manager’s hands, with City willing to match Newcastle’s £10 million valuation. The renewed bid, made late last week, to secure the future of Harper, who had originally been offered a contract on reduced terms, is telling. The 33-year-old’s present deal expires at the end of the season, but with Given’s position in the balance, Newcastle recently rejected Tottenham Hotspur’s £500,000 offer for the reserve goalkeeper. Nicky Butt is also close to agreeing a 12-month extension.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article5587494.ece