Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

Guys, stop ganging up on the poor old man.  :huff:

Let him self-destruct at his own pace.

the football club is self destructing at an alarming pace lad, which is what we are discussing, not personal stuff. Don't suppose you'll be told to pack it in though  bluelaugh.gif

Do you have any opinion on the club accounts NE5 or what?

You show me who is making a profit in football ?

The accounts will look a damn sight worse if the club is relegated and gates are halved, I can tell you that much.

So the fact the club isn't spending any money and is still making a loss doesn't matter because not many clubs make a profit in football?

Blows a hole in the theory that idiots like yourself thought running a football club was the same as running a high street business doesn't it ?

Surely an astute businessman like Mike should have sorted it out by now ? Oh aye, its sell all the best players, get relegated, and come back up again with footballers found in the 4th division on Sports Direct type prices.

Why didn't Alex Ferguson, and closer to home, the Halls and Shepherd, think of that one when they found us, eeer,, with one foot in the 3rd division through trying to put together a good football team at Sports Direct type prices.

You're again going off the point for whatever reason.

Unless a football club has someone like someone to finance them like Man City or Chelsea have then it needs to be turning a profit before player trading, the fact that we're not even though we bring in so much money is terrible, as your mate Mcbeth said on his nufcfinaces website it is easy coming in and paying off the debt but getting rid of the wasters on big wages and turning it all around is going to take a lot longer.

As for Alex Ferguson, Man Utd make massive profits every year, we still lose money even if we spend nothing on tranfers, do you really need me to explain the difference to you?

if we were 100 million in debt and he bought the club for 100 million, shouldnt he have gotten the club for nothing really? that would seem fair. and didnt the halls and shepherd end up getting millions and millions out of the sale? they should be ashamed of themselves really, if it was their fault that we were in so much debt they should have been man enough to walk away without taking so much money out of the club and leaving us so badly in debt.

oops wrong thread

The club should take the 5m or so Man City are offering

No they f***ing well shouldn't.

Someone explain to me what the point of having an excellent goalkeeper is when the rest of team is poor?

Shay has made countless fantastic saves this season and where has it got us? We're shipping a lot of goals because our midfield doesn't protect the back four and because the defensive fringe players we have are f***ing crap. Shay might keep the goals against tally down to 2 instead of 4 but it's still a defeat. We need strength in depth in midfield and defence, and if selling Shay Given will generate the funds for us to do so then it's a no-brainer as far as i'm concerned.

At the moment it looks like we could be heading for relegation in which case someone will poach him off us for peanuts anyway. We might as well sell him now and sign a couple of players who could help us scrape enough points to stay in the league.

So the £5m is going to buy us a drastically better team?

What about City and Given then?

Why talk about things that are actually happening when you can blather on about the same old things FOREVER!

what is your opinion on a player who is the fabric of the club wanting to leave because he knows he isn't going to be successful ?

And - have you seen a relegated team before or not ?

Why talk about things that are actually happening when you can blather on about the same old things FOREVER!

what is your opinion on a player who is the fabric of the club wanting to leave because he knows he isn't going to be successful ?

what...you mean ginola ?

and i've seen us relegated before.

Given is leaving for money. Lets not make idle excuses for his wanting out.

Guest Slippery Sam

Good luck to him if he goes but I think if the money is invested in the right positions it will be more use to us than Shay will this season and in the future.

Harper will do a good job if he's needed.

losers attitude, and back to the days of being 2nd raters.

It's an attitude of someone accepting the current financial position at the club, something which you don't as you've avoided the thread about the clubs latest set of accounts like the plague.

like I said, wait until you've had a dose of 2nd division football and sub 30,000 crowds for a few years and see what that does for the finances, unless you stupidly think all the successful clubs also have bulging bank acconts. Get another owner like your man Ashley to succeed him [easily possible, or worse] and the european qualifications, capacity stadiums, England players will be a golden era to you and others. You certainly won't bother yourself travelling to games when Bristol City are on a par with Newcastle.

Then again, you won't admit your DOF bollocks has been proved to be exactly that ie propelling us the way of Leeds.

I don't think all clubs have bulging bank accounts but when you hardly spend any money on transfers and the club is still losing money then it's clear that something is seriously wrong, you seem to struggle to get your head around this though for some reason and think the club has a bottomless pit of money.

I don't, but I know what it takes to get relegated. And the results of it.

I don't suppose you do, as you don't even think a manager has the right to manage the club in the way he sees fit.

You're right about something being seriously wrong though, myself and two or three others have been telling you that for the last 18 months.

I think I've been telling you there is something wrong with the finances at the club for a lot longer than that, yet you've always trotted out the same line about all clubs having debt etc while ignoring the reasons for these clubs being in debt in the first place.

You do realise that Ashley has had to guarantee to support us financially otherwise we would be in administration?

The thing is I know you realise this but you're such an idiot that you won't admit what a mess we're in, thinking that if we keep spending money (even if we haven't got any) that everything will be ok.

ManU, Liverpool and Arsenal are also in serious debt, so according to you they must in real s*** street and their supporters must therefore be devastated.

Other than that, I'm not interested in your opinions.

Also, only idiots still appear to think Ashleys setup will bring success to Newcastle and continuing with this DOF bollocks is a good idea.

Let's compare Liverpool and Newcastle United. A few years ago both clubs were on a par.

Since then both clubs have amassed debt, yet one club is top of the league and the other is languishing towards the bottom.

One club, over the years, has obviously employed the right manager(s) and players, the other has obviously not.

Which chairman, over the years, has got it right and which has got it wrong?

if that is true, then its the 2nd worst reason for losing a player who has been at the club so long ie Rob Lee, Shearer etc didn't leave for money ?

if that is true, then its the 2nd worst reason for losing a player who has been at the club so long ie Rob Lee, Shearer etc didn't leave for money ?

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,59575.0.html

Good luck to him if he goes but I think if the money is invested in the right positions it will be more use to us than Shay will this season and in the future.

Harper will do a good job if he's needed.

losers attitude, and back to the days of being 2nd raters.

It's an attitude of someone accepting the current financial position at the club, something which you don't as you've avoided the thread about the clubs latest set of accounts like the plague.

like I said, wait until you've had a dose of 2nd division football and sub 30,000 crowds for a few years and see what that does for the finances, unless you stupidly think all the successful clubs also have bulging bank acconts. Get another owner like your man Ashley to succeed him [easily possible, or worse] and the european qualifications, capacity stadiums, England players will be a golden era to you and others. You certainly won't bother yourself travelling to games when Bristol City are on a par with Newcastle.

Then again, you won't admit your DOF bollocks has been proved to be exactly that ie propelling us the way of Leeds.

I don't think all clubs have bulging bank accounts but when you hardly spend any money on transfers and the club is still losing money then it's clear that something is seriously wrong, you seem to struggle to get your head around this though for some reason and think the club has a bottomless pit of money.

I don't, but I know what it takes to get relegated. And the results of it.

I don't suppose you do, as you don't even think a manager has the right to manage the club in the way he sees fit.

You're right about something being seriously wrong though, myself and two or three others have been telling you that for the last 18 months.

I think I've been telling you there is something wrong with the finances at the club for a lot longer than that, yet you've always trotted out the same line about all clubs having debt etc while ignoring the reasons for these clubs being in debt in the first place.

You do realise that Ashley has had to guarantee to support us financially otherwise we would be in administration?

The thing is I know you realise this but you're such an idiot that you won't admit what a mess we're in, thinking that if we keep spending money (even if we haven't got any) that everything will be ok.

ManU, Liverpool and Arsenal are also in serious debt, so according to you they must in real s*** street and their supporters must therefore be devastated.

Other than that, I'm not interested in your opinions.

Also, only idiots still appear to think Ashleys setup will bring success to Newcastle and continuing with this DOF bollocks is a good idea.

Let's compare Liverpool and Newcastle United. A few years ago both clubs were on a par.

Since then both clubs have amassed debt, yet one club is top of the league and the other is languishing towards the bottom.

One club, over the years, has obviously employed the right manager(s) and players, the other has obviously not.

Which chairman, over the years, has got it right and which has got it wrong?

your point is what exactly ? Is it the same as the one madras makes ? If so, then they have gone, and are their replacements [which you wanted I take it ?] better or worse ie are they on course to at least match the european qualifications of their predecessors ?

Are you one of those who said such european qualifications was so shit it would be easy to replace them and any owner automatically backs their managers and would have at least the same ambition for the club ?

I'm sure that getting relegated and losing 20000+ supporters in the ground is the way forward, if this is your answer.

I'm sure that getting relegated and losing 20000+ supporters in the ground is the way forward, if this is your answer.

I must have missed that.  What page was it on?  Have you read the accounts?

admittedly a sarcastic reply, but your link isn't part of this thread, is it ?

Edit :

Liam..........mate the only way back is to build a good side, make good judgements, buy quality, and keep the best you have. In reality, not many teams can do this, this is why football is so difficult and why it isn't like the high street. You NEVER sell your best players, unless its for silly money, they are over the hill, they have personal problems and have to leave. They should NEVER feel they have to go for career or monetary unless, again, its for silly wages.

This is because it isn't my intention or wish to drag this thread down familiar territory. You aren't going to change my opinion, because I've seen both sides of the coin. Believe me, the Ashley way is dragging the club down , fast. Permanantly, while he runs the club. There is no way back if you don't back your managers.

admittedly a sarcastic reply, but your link isn't part of this thread, is it ?

At least I now know you've seen it though, and are just avoiding it O0