Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

It does look like he's on his way, we could know for sure by Wednesday night if he starts or not.

Personally would be ok to see him go and would wish him well. He has served us well for 10 years or so, and if he wants to leave then there's no use having unhappy players in the squad. I also think the step down to Harper isn't that big a step - Keegan certainly had faith in him. And if £14m means that we have 2 or 3 more players to fight relegation with then it's a good move.

Hopefully the deal with City means he can play his final game on Sunday, and get a fantastic send off.

Newcastle keeper Shay Given is set for a £10m move to Man City with officials meeting on Monday to tie up the deal. (Daily Mirror)

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

10m is not enough. I would have insisted on the original 14m. He's that valuable to us, and we know shitty can pay it. Nee fucker else is able to sell them their first choice keeper, as nee fucker else has a deputy as able as Harper.

If this means that we'll be able to strengthen other areas of the field - ie defence and central midfield - then it makes sense. Harper is a good enough replacement.

:lol: you think he will put the money back into the club :lol: He told JK £10mll there it is not £10mill + anything we get from who we sell just Ashley doing us over..

Guest thommo78

If he does go are we guaranteed that money will be used to re-invest in playing staff or does that go to the black hole that the milner money seemingly slipped into. Anyone have confidence in this recruitment strategy that a) we have target lined up or b) we have the ability to close the deal in the final week of the transfer window? All seems to similar to milner.

It also concerns me what type of player Kinnear will sign..could be throwing money down the pan!

Skirge, JK did actually say he'd have the 10m plus any money from outgoings. Then again you should never believe JK

Poor JK hangs on every word Lambias tells him, saying the money is there is fine but them spending it is a totally different thing.

selling given and not staying up would be a fuckin disaster like, still i feel like many if it's the only way we can spend something then it's the sensible move to make, given won't keep us up on his own

might put a bit of steel in the players as well, make them try and prove the doubters & shay wrong

doubt like, overpaid fat lazy bastards half of them are

Newcastle keeper Shay Given is set for a £10m move to Man City with officials meeting on Monday to tie up the deal. (Daily Mirror)

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

10m is not enough. I would have insisted on the original 14m. He's that valuable to us, and we know shitty can pay it. Nee fucker else is able to sell them their first choice keeper, as nee fucker else has a deputy as able as Harper.

We could probably have squeezed more than £10 million out of them but there's one week to go in the window. If we have to get that money in to move for our own players then so be it.

All in all £10 million for a keeper of his age is in no way a disaster, particularly as we have a very able deputy in place already and so won't need to go out and buy another one.

Guest north shields lad

If we had signes cudicini from chelsea and sold given it would be the best transfer deal newcastle had done since we signed shearer.

I think I have come to the conclusion I would rather have a bigger squad and hopefully stay up versus keeping a player we all love for sentimental reasons and going down.

Leaving this late in the Window though scares me as we have proven time and time again we cannot get good deals done with days to spare.

I think I have come to the conclusion I would rather have a bigger squad and hopefully stay up versus keeping a player we all love for sentimental reasons and going down.

Leaving this late in the Window though scares me as we have proven time and time again we cannot get good deals done with days to spare.

I'm not really very pleased for you that you think a club of our standing with one of the biggest support in the country is a selling club again.

What do you think we will do when the crowds drop to 30,000 or less ?

Guest north shields lad

I'm not really very pleased for you that you think a club of our standing with one of the biggest support in the country is a selling club again.

I think we would average higher than that in the championship.

We could probably have squeezed more than £10 million out of them but there's one week to go in the window. If we have to get that money in to move for our own players then so be it.

All in all £10 million for a keeper of his age is in no way a disaster, particularly as we have a very able deputy in place already and so won't need to go out and buy another one.

He's only 32 man, he'll still be going strong at 38.  £10 million is a realistic price, which is a poor deal considering the current market and the club that's after the player.  Why should we be the only club to sell our selves short or be realistic about the value of our players when City come calling?  £12 million would be a minimum IMO, I could begrudgingly accept that though I'd be disappointed.  I'd be happy with £14 million, that's a good deal.

Worth it to get him off the wage bill which is too high, not sure if you're aware of the reasons for this.

I take it you're of the opinion that we should keep borrowing to cover thehigh wage bill until we're either successful or bankrupt?

All you need to do is back your manager - its as simple as that.

Worth it to get him off the wage bill which is too high, not sure if you're aware of the reasons for this.

I take it you're of the opinion that we should keep borrowing to cover thehigh wage bill until we're either successful or bankrupt?

All you need to do is back your manager - its as simple as that.

I'm pleased for you that you are still obviously happy we haven't wasted any money in the last 12 months.

look up the crowds during the 1970's and 1980's.

You're not Mike Ashley are you ?

Guest marky555

If we had signes cudicini from chelsea and sold given it would be the best transfer deal newcastle had done since we signed shearer.

Nearly as good as your analysis of the current Liverpool squad in relation to ours.

Guest north shields lad

look up the crowds during the 1970's and 1980's.

You're not Mike Ashley are you ?

Crowds nation wide have changed since then. Have a look at the teams that were winning the league back then, and i guarentee there getting bigger gates today. Liverpool, everton, manchester united, spurs and arsenal all get bigger attendances today, than they did in the early 80s. And so do we, as we will continue to do.

Guest north shields lad

Nearly as good as your analysis of the current Liverpool squad in relation to ours.

So if we sold our keeper for 10 million, and got one who used to be regarded as one of the best around for nothing, it wouldnt be good buissness. If we then went out and bought a goalscorer for 10 million that scored 10 goals this season and kept us up, it wouldnt be good buissness. We are forced to bed, so we can not be choosy.