Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

In all honesty if £14 million was on the table, and if that £14 million is spent on bringing players in this window...

Well I agree of course, but to be fair despite Ashley not spending any of his own money on transfers we haven't been in profit on transfers since he's been here.

Agree with the sentiments but I just don't trust that the money will be spent, rather have Given on the pitch than another £14 million in fat Ashley's pockets. Still Given deserves to go if he wants to

When has transfer money ever gone in his pocket?

Been saying this for the past couple of days. Past history suggests that 100% of all sale proceeds will be reinvested in players

Whilst £14m is too good to turn down, i'm by no means confident it'll get spent accordingly in the 5 days we've got left of the transfer window.

This Given thing's starting to hit me now. It's Given, man. :(

It won't be £14m I reckon.

Nearer £8-9m

I agree. I'd prefer more but I'd take that. Given's had enough here and it doesn't do him or us any good to have an unhappy player around who isn't enjoying playing for the toon. I wouldn't be surprised if Ashley holds out for more but that might mean missing bringing much needed players in.

It won't be £14m I reckon.

Nearer £8-9m

I agree. I'd prefer more but I'd take that. Given's had enough here and it doesn't do him or us any good to have an unhappy player around who isn't enjoying playing for the toon. I wouldn't be surprised if Ashley holds out for more but that might mean missing bringing much needed players in.

There's hardly a guarantee that the cash would get well spent, if at all, anyway. And not only cos of our incompetence either, January is a difficult period, no doubt.

Guest ObaStar

I really doubt we would get anyone else in other than people we have already targeted bid for. I think we will get Ebondo, hopefully someone in exchange for Given and/or if we get some cash from Given we could also get Mbia

Guest justin99.

to sell one of the top 3 goalkeepers in premierleague who could still have atleast 5 more quality seasons ahead of him, to the richest club in the world, for under 15million let alone 10, is madness

We dont hold all the cards, you see how much we need the money

Theyre already talking about shay in past tense on the official site.

"Harpers never been considered #2, he just HAD an outstanding goalkeeper infront of him."

Reckon Given will be gone soon after man city game, so we hopefully have time to put that money towards our own negotiations.

to sell one of the top 3 goalkeepers in premierleague who could still have atleast 5 more quality seasons ahead of him, to the richest club in the world, for under 15million let alone 10, is madness

THIS IS NEWCASTLE! (said in a Spartan voice)  :nope: I'll get my coat.

i want michael johnson in exchange plus a few million. wud be nice

9m plus johnson would do me. Apparently we are asking 10 and Johnson, City just want to pay 10.

£9m + Johnson would be alright. :thup:

"Harpers never been considered #2, he just HAD an outstanding goalkeeper infront of him."

Reckon Given will be gone soon after man city game, so we hopefully have time to put that money towards our own negotiations.

9m plus johnson would do me. Apparently we are asking 10 and Johnson, City just want to pay 10.

Right, two points.

1) We all know that Hughton said 'had' instead of 'has'. Quick, call the f***ing grammar police!

2) Michael Johnson doesn't want to come here. It's not just a case of City don't want to send him, he's reluctant to move to a falling ship.

That is all.

Dont we hold all the cards though. City need him. Shay wants away but if we just said no then shay would never let it show on the pitch so it looks like we will get what ashley thinks he is worth

We hold all the cards if we aren't planning on buying any more players. If we want to buy say M'bia or Donadel for example, we'll probably need the sale to go through before too long.

Right, two points.

1) We all know that Hughton said 'had' instead of 'has'. Quick, call the f***ing grammar police!

2) Michael Johnson doesn't want to come here. It's not just a case of City don't want to send him, he's reluctant to move to a falling ship.

That is all.

shame they won't just loan him to us til the end of the season then.

If the deal is currently stucked becoz of Johnson, I can see we finally accept a pure-cash offer instead of pulling the plug.  Johnson isn't the most important factor in this deal.

And tbh I rate Donadel/M'Bia higher than Johnson.

Dont we hold all the cards though. City need him. Shay wants away but if we just said no then shay would never let it show on the pitch so it looks like we will get what ashley thinks he is worth

We hold all the cards if we aren't planning on buying any more players. If we want to buy say M'bia or Donadel for example, we'll probably need the sale to go through before too long.

That's if we need the money from Given to buy the likes of Donadel.