Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

The fact it's Man Citeh he chose to leave us for really blows away any moral credibility his departure may have had.

Why?

Because despite the current situation we're still a far bigger club than they are. Had he left for ManU, Arsenal or an equivalent foreign team he could have justifiably claimed he was going up in the world, but going to City proves it was motivated, primarily, by money.

The fact it's Man Citeh he chose to leave us for really blows away any moral credibility his departure may have had.

Why?

Because despite the current situation we're still a far bigger club than they are. Had he left for ManU, Arsenal or an equivalent foreign team he could have justifiably claimed he was going up in the world, but going to City proves it was motivated, primarily, by money.

Cobblers. A far bigger club ffs. Aye and Nottingham Forest are a bigger club than Chelsea - that Drogba's a right mug.

Why?

He has maybe 5 years left of his playing career. Honestly out of us and Man City who do you think are more likely to be playing in Europe/maybe winning things in the next 5 years?

Why?

Cobblers. A far bigger club ffs. Aye and Nottingham Forest are a bigger club than Chelsea - that Drogba's a right mug.

You think Citeh are a bigger club than us. I don't.

He went there for the same reason Robinho and Co ended up there too. They're paying the biggest wedge right now.

Guest firetotheworks

Why?

He went there for the same reason Robinho and Co ended up there too. They're paying the biggest wedge right now.

Theyre also trying to sign the best players right now, and have the biggest chasm in aspirations right now. Theres no reason for Given to leave for money.

Why?

Maybe if Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool were in for him but they seemed to be the only club interested that have geniune prospects to improve and challenge for something in the not too distant future.

Why?

He has maybe 5 years left of his playing career. Honestly out of us and Man City who do you think are more likely to be playing in Europe/maybe winning things in the next 5 years?

Right now?  Probably them, but I don't think that was his prime motivation when he chose Citeh. I think it had more to do with money.

Why?

Right now?  Probably them, but I don't think that was his prime motivation when he chose Citeh. I think it had more to do with money.

Based on absolutely nothing.

If you're miserable at your job pay really, really starts to not matter.  I know that's an insane amount he was/is earning but there's no price tag for emotional contentment.

But then again if your "emotional contentment" is revolved around ambition and winning trophies then he's 5 years too late with all this - in my eyes he's decided to go before the ships sunkbecasue he doesnt want to be tarnished. Ambition isnt something which you develop a craving for, your either are or arent.

??? He should have left while we were pushing for another Champions League place and playing in the UEFA cup?

Yeah, no ambition.

Why?

He has always wanted to be at a club looking to improve and challenge for things, whether that is us or someone else. I remember during numerous transfer windows him coming out with quotes saying how we need to bring in players etc...

I have he has proved during his time with us he is ambitious and he wants to play for a club that can win things. We look far from that club at the moment, he has been given a chance to move to a club that does look like they could and he has taken it. I would not be at all surprised if he is on more money at City but I doubt that was a major factor in his move.

Tbh all the people saying he never wanted to leave. I have a mate in the RAF who got a flight down to london 3 weeks ago, he was sitting next to given on the flight. Next day rumors of Given meeting spurs...

Why?

Based on absolutely nothing.

Apart from his agent/lawyer starting to agitate things just after Christmas and paving the way for him to break his contract and move to the "richest" club in the world.

Of course his agent wouldn't be that interested in the money would he ?

Anyway it's history now, we need to move on.

Seeing as we're all having our say...

He hasn't lost legend status in my eyes. Mainly because he never had it. I've never forgotten that he threw a wobbly and demanded a transfer when he wasn't immediately reinstituted to the team ahead of his best pal Harper, who was playing excellently at the time. I don't see him as evil, or a cunt or anything. I'm sure he has/had an attachment to the club, and he's played a significant part in our club for a long time. He's shown a not inconsiderable amount of commitment/stupidity to hang around as long as he did, and the club he now departs can be reasonably judged as being in a disastrous state. I'm not going to demand he sacrifices his career any further to maintain a reputation I never afforded him. He leads his own life and we lead ours - I've never seen him and the fabric of the club as being one and the same.

I'd moved on before he left.

Tbh all the people saying he never wanted to leave. I have a mate in the RAF who got a flight down to london 3 weeks ago, he was sitting next to given on the flight. Next day rumors of Given meeting spurs...

As if he didn't say 'What you popping down to London for, anything good?'

Was he sat with his gaze fixated forward not daring to look at him like a teenage boy not daring to look at the fit lass on the bus incase she looks back?

Probably not, no.

IF it is £6mill its just crazy, nowhere near enough for a keeper of his class. Only thing I can think of is we did not have time to aruge and that fee was already needed for deal we are trying to get done.

Thoughts on the deal itself:

Fine, he's gone. A player swap would have been ideal but we all know that those kinds of deals are notoriously hard to work out so as long as we got an acceptable sum (which I trust we have,) it's not a big deal. The only thing now is that money MUST be reinvested into the squad immediately. If not, the pitchforks come out tomorrow evening.

Thoughts on Shay Given:

Emotionally, I feel devastated. I think we've all been taking Shay for granted for a long time now. Despite the fact that he's been blatantly too good for us for several years now, we'd come to think that he'd never leave. For that reason I feel like he never really got the appreciation he deserved. A lot of people got on his back whenever he had a rare downturn in form, and the "is Given world class or not?" Debate is surely one of the most idiotic conversations that's ever gone on in this board. I feel like I would if my lass left me for some blinged out kid with a Porsche.

Rationally? He can go fuck himself. I refuse to cave into the "he's done enough for us, good luck to him" attitude. Fact of the matter is he knows as well as anyone that we're well in the shit and that the very survival of this club rests on the next few months. Is it really that hard for him to put his move off till the summer? What the fuck is he going to do by moving to Man City 6 months early, help them finish the season at tenth? He's ditched us in our hour of greatest need for a club that won't get UEFA football this season and might not even get it next season, never mind the Champions league. The truth is that he's just no longer bothered with us anymore, he's nothing more than a rat abandoning a sinking ship and pocketing a bit of cash on the way. He cares absolutely nothing for this club or its fans and I refuse to care about him.

I hope he breaks his leg or gets replaced with Buffon in the summer. Preferably both.

Fucking asshole.

Guest marky555

Why?

It's all about ambition mate, they have a clear strategy of achieving Champions league football et al within the next few seasons, and they're putting their money where their mouth is.

Fair enough they might not achieve that goal in the timescale they'd like to, but they will continue to improve their squad in order to achieve that goal, and Given wants to be part of that.

To say its all down to money is a little bit disrespectful to Shay I think to be honest. nufc.com's view on him is a tad harsh as well I think.  He's been so loyal to this club, the perfect pro, and I think he deserves to go where he wants to go, regardless of what anyone thinks.