Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

Anyway, just because I think Given should have waited until the summer to leave doesn't mean that I rate him any less as a keeper, or appreciate what he has done for the club while he has been here any less. I am just disappointed that he was unable to stay at the club and decided to move to citeh in January. I wonder if his motivation was dampened even more by his agent/lawyer whispering about Man City, Tottenham etc being interested in him.

Maybe he wanted to establish himself somewhere before the start of a new season. Will certainly help him having 3 or 4 months under his belt before the season starts again.

I feel sorry for Shay, he has been such a great servant to this club and you cna bet he didn't want to go but felt he had no tojer choice, its a toal mess here and a loayal player like him leaving just goes to show how much of a mess it really is.

H loves us and always will.

Interesting editing of Shay's comments by Sky there.  Namely missing off his second sentence:

"I felt that Newcastle could have dealt with it better. The regime made me do things I didn't want to do in the end."

What things?  Feign injury and lose a bonus because you were "made" to hand in a transfer request?

Interesting editing of Shay's comments by Sky there.  Namely missing off his second sentence:

"I felt that Newcastle could have dealt with it better. The regime made me do things I didn't want to do in the end."

What things?  Feign injury and lose a bonus because you were "made" to hand in a transfer request?

The nub of it is that Given shouldn't be publicly making these vague comments about how badly the club have behaved unless he's also prepared to be specific about exactly what they did.

If he's saying that because he had given long service to the club, he shouldn't have had to put in a transfer request and lose his share of the transfer fee, then that's debatable to say the least. He was being paid millions of what is, indirectly, our money.

will man city be challenging for trophies in the future? very likely.

will given be on the bench when said challenges are happening? very likely.

Doubt it - brilliant keeper, amongst the best in the world so why would city bench him?

he's very replaceable. the richest club in the world will think nothing of benching a £6 million player if a better alternative comes along (and yes, there are better keepers around if you have the money).

In terms of keeper they have a class one - I cant see them targetting the Buffons, Cassilas etc

Its the outfield players that they will target to make themselves a top team

they got robinho and were scarily close to getting kaka so i dont doubt that they'll go for a bigger name than given sooner rather than later.

Err...I doubt they were planning to buy Kaka to replace Robinho.

what?

you're saying city will still look to replace given with someone better based on them going for Kaka?

Given is getting more stick than bloody Charles N'Zogbia..... what a joke!  :rolleyes:

No he's not.

if you say so.

The reason why this is at the top of the page and not the Insomnia thread is because there is only so many times we can say that he's a French whinging little cunt. With Given, there's an actual discussion going on, and most are saying that they are disappointed that he's gone, and especially the timing that he's gone. If we'd set up a poll, "Who deserves a career ending injury the most, Given or Insomnia?", the French prick would win hands down.

I don't blame him at all - its easy for people to say he should have stayed till the summer - he had an offer now, who knows what would have happened by the summer  - could have been injured, City could have looked at Buffon etc - thus circumstances could have been very different and he needs to do what is right for him - bloody hell, he's given us 12 years of great service, he doesn't owe us a thing - its not his fault the hierarchy continue to screw things up.

To be fair, he had every right to go a long time ago, the number of false promises and new dawns at this club over the last 12 years, it is admirable a player of his quality stuck it out.

Guest The Libertine

will man city be challenging for trophies in the future? very likely.

will given be on the bench when said challenges are happening? very likely.

Doubt it - brilliant keeper, amongst the best in the world so why would city bench him?

he's very replaceable. the richest club in the world will think nothing of benching a £6 million player if a better alternative comes along (and yes, there are better keepers around if you have the money).

In terms of keeper they have a class one - I cant see them targetting the Buffons, Cassilas etc

Its the outfield players that they will target to make themselves a top team

they got robinho and were scarily close to getting kaka so i dont doubt that they'll go for a bigger name than given sooner rather than later.

Err...I doubt they were planning to buy Kaka to replace Robinho.

what?

you're saying city will still look to replace given with someone better based on them going for Kaka?

kaka was a very ambitious move and it very nearly paid off so i imagine they'll take heart from that and go for players of a similar standing, or as high a standing as they can get, in each position over time. a £6 million keeper is replaceable if you can afford to buy a £20+ million keeper.

You know, I stick by him. It's shocking how some of has made him the 'bad guy'. I really appreciate his honesty and loyalty. In fact, I believe his latest statement about Kinnear and the current regime to be true. Wish him the best of luck at City. Although I'm a bit unsure whether he joined them for Silverware or the money. Either way, just hopes it works out for him. What a guy! So many years of loyalty and caring for the club!  :clap:

Guest Stephen927

The biggest shame is that this club is no longer competing at the level needed to keep or attract players like Given to the club.

Guest justin99.

You know, I stick by him. It's shocking how some of has made him the 'bad guy'. I really appreciate his honesty and loyalty. In fact, I believe his latest statement about Kinnear and the current regime to be true. Wish him the best of luck at City. Although I'm a bit unsure whether he joined them for Silverware or the money. Either way, just hopes it works out for him. What a guy! So many years of loyalty and caring for the club!  :clap:

I think he would have gone to just about any club that made an offer for him.

plus it's hard to find a club less ambitious than newcastle

Yep, I agree.

Just heard his interview with Talksport where he basically said:

-Wants to seperate the fans from the club.  The fans have always been great to him and he'll be forever thankfull.

-Disgusted at the way the club handled the transfer

-Newcastle 'quadroupled' what they paid for him in the first place. Which sounds great until you realise we paid 1.5m.  :kinnear:

The reason why this is at the top of the page and not the Insomnia thread is because there is only so many times we can say that he's a French whinging little cunt. With Given, there's an actual discussion going on, and most are saying that they are disappointed that he's gone, and especially the timing that he's gone.

N'Zogbia went for the same reason as Given....because we're crap and unambitious.

N'zogbia made a big fuss out of it and refused to play. Given made it clear he wanted to leave (well  before the deadline) and just get on with his football.

If we'd set up a poll, "Who deserves a career ending injury the most, Given or Insomnia?", the French prick would win hands down.

It wouldn't prove anything. It would only indicates that Shay Given was by far the more popular player here.  Nothing we disagree about.

The biggest shame is that this club is no longer competing at the level needed to keep or attract players like Given to the club.

I couldnt agree more with this. It shows how low we have sunk. Its also gutting to watch the video of Given how the regime couldnt really give a fuck about keeping one of our best players and just cashed in. I dont blame him one bit for leaving good on him he deserves better than the current shite we are.

Anyone seen the thread on the Man City forum site where someone knew back in November that Shay was going to Man City? He had been approached and was very interested then according to them. That was weeks before the Liverpool game.

As for this being "loyal" business, I'd be "loyal" for 11 years if someone paid me £40k a week (or whatever it was) and no "big" club came in for me until Man City offered him twice the wages. The way people go on you'd think he'd been rewarded nowt for his services over the years.

Now he''s moaning because he had to put in a transfer request? Sorry but I feel more sorry for the fans who are losing their jobs every day of the week and have to feed a family on not very much.

Sympathy for football players should be reserved for us long suffering fans. Aye he's done a good job, aye he's fed up with the present regime, but now he's at another club he should just get on with it and leave us behind.

Guest neesy111

Anyone seen the thread on the Man City forum site where someone knew back in November that Shay was going to Man City? He had been approached and was very interested then according to them. That was weeks before the Liverpool game.

As for this being "loyal" business, I'd be "loyal" for 11 years if someone paid me £40k a week (or whatever it was) and no "big" club came in for me until Man City offered him twice the wages. The way people go on you'd think he'd been rewarded nowt for his services over the years.

Now he''s moaning because he had to put in a transfer request? Sorry but I feel more sorry for the fans who are losing their jobs every day of the week and have to feed a family on not very much.

Sympathy for football players should be reserved for us long suffering fans. Aye he's done a good job, aye he's fed up with the present regime, but now he's at another club he should just get on with it and leave us behind.

this sum's my feeling's towards shay

he's left, let's get on supporting steve harper who imo is just as good as shay in many area's and better in some

Why is he disgusted like?  What terrible thing did they do to him during the transfer?  I haven't seen the interview yet, he's not having a go at us for trying to get as much as we can for him is he??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7872358.stm

Anyone seen this yet? Given talking about us a little.

Jesus thats depressing. We're fucked if we don't get out of trouble this season, truly and utterly fucked.

I'm not gonna whinge on about our regime, but its sad that we've come to this.

Lately I've been avoiding the forum as its not exactly a chirpy place with morons in charge making mistake after mistake every single fucking day...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7872358.stm

Anyone seen this yet? Given talking about us a little.

Jesus thats depressing. We're fucked if we don't get out of trouble this season, truly and utterly fucked.

I'm not gonna whinge on about our regime, but its sad that we've come to this.

Lately I've been avoiding the forum as its not exactly a chirpy place with morons in charge making mistake after mistake every single fucking day...

It's not nice.  Given almost comes across as if he would have stayed if certain actions were taken at the top (probably better manager and investment).  What got me is that he was only spoken to by Mike Ashley on 26th Jan.  Way after it kicked off about him wanting out.  The way he said "26th January" shows that he was frustrated for ages and sounds like he thought he'd be spoken to far earlier.