Palermo V Newcastle United - Post Match Thoughts.

BlufPurdi

Guest NUFC-Babe

I seem to remember last night someone on here saying that we should "concede the 3 points and concentrate on Sheff U"  So glad the lads didn't have the same attitude!  :celb2: :toon1: :clap: :p :happy: :celb2:

Guest optimistic nit

I saw Moore blocking off players twice in the match which is pretty disappointing.He was lucky not to get booked.But overall,he did okay.

your just one great big ball of wind up aren't you.

Guest Ridzuan

I saw Moore blocking off players twice in the match which is pretty disappointing.He was lucky not to get booked.But overall,he did okay.

I mean it,really.

Guest optimistic nit

I mean it,really.

i'm just being silly, silly.

Thoughts on the game - Shambles and Moore are fucking terrible defenders.

Krul looks to be a good keeper, played well.

Luque could actually prove me wrong, and end up being a pretty average player, rather than a shite one.

We NEED 2 actually good strikers.

Roeder is a poor manager, whose transfer acumen is only marginally outweighed by his tactical ineptitude.

Oh, and we played pretty much like a bottom 5 team. We'd have been gutted by a decent side.

Oh, and we played pretty much like a bottom 5 team. We'd have been gutted by a decent side.

Eh?

Under-strength team or not (bearing in mind that we were too) - they're joint top of Serie A! Indecent sides don't get to the top of Serie A.

Great result. Performance was decent, although we did invite pressure. Would've liked to have seen Sibbers on earlier as Luque can't hold a ball up for toffee. MOM: Krul, obviously. Butt decent in first half. Milner worked hard and actually put in a good final ball which is a new one. Thought Luque overall was pretty poor, tbh.

Luque didnt play that well, but lets be honest he will never play well as a lone striker. If this gives him a bit of confidence then great but Roeder should try and set-up the team to play to his strengths if hes going to get a run in the team. Milners cross was pure quality. Hope he stays. Credit to Taylor and Ramage for playing very well out of position. Krul was quality, hope Shay takes him under his wing and shares his jedi powers with him.

I think we caught Palermo on a good day like, and if the 2 lads who came on had been on from the start, reckon they would have won it.

However, thats all 'ifs and ands'. If you go down that route then we could claim all sorts. The point is that we pulled off a bit of shock as they are at the top of serie A and therefore a top european club. No debate on that point.

Guest toongimp

Excellent performance all round!

Admittedly, I was nervous when I heard Roeder was not playing Duffers or Parker against an on-form Serie A side. Well done to our defence and Luque. Man of the match is young Krul for some very brave and excellent goalkeeping and Milner for causing all sorts of mayhem with the Palermo defence. Can't understand why we can't transfer this level of performance for our domestic games blueupset.gif. Let's give Sheffield utd some come Sunday. Come on Lads!

Guest Knightrider

I couldn't care less if Luque sat on his arse all game so long as he finds the back of that net.

Right now performances individually and as a team mean fuck all, wins and wins are what we want and need. Tonight however we got a performance and a win and each player played a part in that, some more than others. What Luque lacked in sheer graft he made up for it with the winner. What Emre lacked in a final ball he made up for it by working his socks off. What Solano lacked in stamina he made up for it with his experience and so on and so on and so on.

Magnificent all-round and I had a feeling we'd pull off a win, that's the Toon all over. I now expect a defeat or a draw on Saturday...

Anyway well done the lads and the management and I hope the fans over there get back safe and sound.

Great night for the club and to be a fan, one of the most enjoyable matches I've seen for a while and one of the best performances from us I've seen in a while too. So many positives to come out of it.

Mind it will all mean fuck all if we don't win on Saturday and I'll take an own goal in that game to win us it.

I think we caught Palermo on a good day like, and if the 2 lads who came on had been on from the start, reckon they would have won it.

However, thats all 'ifs and ands'. If you go down that route then we could claim all sorts. The point is that we pulled off a bit of shock as they are at the top of serie A and therefore a top european club. No debate on that point.

Nice way too sum things up, mate.  Can't please the cynics, but this win is a good bit of confidence for the weekend.  Wish I was

able to catch this match.  Curses to being on a different continent!

Good result.

I don't want Roeder to fanny about with the team by bringing injured players back in the starting line up. We start this team on sat and i will be happy:

Krul

Taylor        Moore          Bramble      Ramage

Butt

Parker

Milner                                              Zoggy

Rossi 

Luque

Eh?

Under-strength team or not (bearing in mind that we were too) - they're joint top of Serie A! Indecent sides don't get to the top of Serie A.

Portsmouth were top of the EPL at one point (granted, tonights opponents are doing better than that). We weren't playing the same team that is top of Serie A, anyway.

A good team woudl have destroyed us. Did you see our central "defenders"?? Clueless, dangerously so.

Defensively, i really do feel that it was a superb performance. The best so far this season. Moore's intelligence, Bramble's tackles, Ramage and Taylor's doggedness. But we were insanely frustrating going forward. But that was the tactics though, not the players. It looked like Roeder went into that game, absolutely 100% definitely looking for a draw. We didn't look like we wanted to attack, at any point in the game, and we could have scored so many more against an average defense.

We were so slow going forward and the passes were so backward, that Palermo jsut got all their man back and defended with ease. The goal came out of nothing - that was the only ball into the box bar a corner.

But like i said earlier - i'm not really complaining. We got a fabulous three points and massive credit to the defense and the keeper. But Palermo should have won that game hands down, because we just didn't look like we wanted to attack. Fortunately our defense was on form for once.

I'm just not getting ahead of myself because i thought Roeder's performance was crap once again, and i don't credit him whatsoever for the victory. He clearly told the lads at half time to let them attack and simply defend, and that's a shocking tactic with a defense like ours. But fortunately, our defense but in a performance that we see once in a blue moon.

With a better manager with better tactics, we'd have beaten Palermo comfortably tonight.

Don't get me wrong - i'm still absolutely thrilled that we won the game, but it was the defense that won it for us, not the attack or the manager.

Eh?

Portsmouth were top of the EPL at one point (granted, tonights opponents are doing better than that). We weren't playing the same team that is top of Serie A, anyway.

A good team woudl have destroyed us. Did you see our central "defenders"?? Clueless, dangerously so.

The only thing that Pompey and Palermo have in common this season is that they both start with a P.

Palermo are in europe and are joint top of Serie A.

He clearly told the lads at half time to let them attack and simply defend, and that's a shocking tactic with a defense like ours. But fortunately, our defense but in a performance that we see once in a blue moon.

3 games in a blue moon  bluebiggrin.gif

With regards to the match, I was very pleased but one thought stood out in my mind....

If Ronaldinho had spun a player like Milner did tonight, viewers all over the world would be spunking all over it for ages.

Having said that, he'd probably have been able to finish it too :(

If Milner had had a little more experience, he would have gone down mst likely and we would have got the penalty.

I was going to say that that's what Shearer would have done... but on second thoughts, Shearer would have broke the net. :lol: