Palermo V Newcastle United - Post Match Thoughts.

BlufPurdi

For Saturday:

Krul

Taylor                Moore                              Bramble          Ramage

Milner                N'Zogbia      Parker          Emre                Duff

Luque         

Luque rises to the challenge at last to sink Sicilians

Michael Walker at Stadio Renzo Barbera

Friday November 3, 2006

The Guardian

Remarkable gets over-used as a description in sport but Newcastle United, and three of their players in particular - Tim Krul, Albert Luque and Andy Carroll - merited it last night. Krul, an 18-year-old Dutch goalkeeper, made his debut and in keeping a clean sheet, Newcastle's third in a row, he was outstanding.

In defying Andrea Caracciolo and David Di Michele in the 67th minute Krul, moreover, has already had the Newcastle version of his Jim Montgomery moment and as he said afterwards: "I will never forget this night for as long as I live." When he walked into the Newcastle dressing room, last in, Krul was given a standing ovation.

His double save helped ensure that Newcastle held on to the 37th-minute lead provided by Luque, only the third goal from the Spaniard in the 15 months since his £9.5m transfer from Deportivo La Coruna. As Glenn Roeder asked of him on Wednesday, Luque proved he may yet have a future at St James' Park, though it is only a first tentative step.

On a night of no little vindication for Roeder, Newcastle's manager was also able to give a debut to Carroll in injury-time. Replacing Nolberto Solano, Carroll, at 17 and 267 days, became United's youngest player in 37 years of European football. Carroll's big day ended with his team on top of Group H, with Newcastle now virtually assured of participation in the knock-out phase beginning in the new year.

Under intense pressure on Tyneside due to Newcastle's weak Premiership results, Roeder will hope that beating Palermo, currently second in Serie A, comes to be seen as a turning point. It will be said that Palermo started with just five regulars and that Simplicio and Di Michele, scorers of three of the four goals that accounted for West Ham in the preliminary round, came on too late, but this was a mature Newcastle performance from a team sprinkled with youth.

"The collective team spirit running through our team clearly showed tonight," said Roedera "and given that we left senior players back in Newcastle due to injury and asked a number of others to step up who don't normally play, it was nothing short of brilliant. It's a major result for us for many reasons."

He added: "Palermo are not to be under-rated - where they are in Serie A is a true reflection of their quality. I hope this now gives us the confidence in the Premiership. You can see we are not playing like a side in our Premiership position."

Roeder revealed that the plan for Krul was to send him out on loan - "and we may still do that". He explained: "I thought his debut was 18 months to two years away. He's had a night to remember."

Physical recovery is now an issue for Roeder's players before the home game with Sheffield United tomorrow but spirits are undoubtedly lifted. With Nicky Butt giving a master class at the base of a five-man midfield, a fixture that looked treacherous was handled with care. Krul was beaten twice in the first 12 minutes but on each occasion Craig Moore got back to clear.

Moore had one of his best displays in a Newcastle jersey, as did James Milner. Playing on the left, Milner was a release valve for Newcastle when he could be, but was also prepared to carry the attack to the Sicilians.

Robbing Andrea Barzagli on 10 minutes, Milner forced the Sicilian goalkeeper Alberto Fontana into a smart save and he might have had a penalty then as Barzagli was dragging him back as he shot.

And it was Milner who delivered the fantastic cross from the left that Luque met six yards out to steer beyond Fontana. It was a fine goal and may persuade the disaffected Spaniard that he can make a go of it at St James'.

Overall Luque's was a much improved effort but as Roeder said: "He needs to keep on working hard." After the goal Newcastle were comfortable for the next half-hour and when Palermo were able to break through, Krul was there. Of Newcastle's 16, last night he was one of eight who came through the academy, another positive from a remarkable night for the club.

If Milner had had a little more experience, he would have gone down mst likely and we would have got the penalty.

I was going to say that that's what Shearer would have done... but on second thoughts, Shearer would have broke the net. :lol:

Wash your mouth out.

Twice! ;)

Delighted with the win. OK so they started 5 only 1st team, we were not far off that.

Despite a good night and decent individual performances some of you just cant stop critiscising. Give credit when and where due and go back to your red and white shite.

A very good result in a difficult venue - Krul has been excellent, esp for a young player, and Milner has shown that he will be a big loss if he is sold in Jan.

However, this result has uncanny echoes of the famous Bastia game back in 1977 - we were having a bad season in the league(got relegated), yet went to another island close to Italy(Corsica), and beat Bastia 2-1 in the UEFA Cup.

Unfortunately, we were ambushed by Johnny Rep , the Dutch World Cup star in the return match - they were 2-0 up in no time and we never looked like winning. Lets hope history doesn't repeat itself - Palermo are quite capable of winning at SJP.

A very good result in a difficult venue - Krul has been excellent, esp for a young player, and Milner has shown that he will be a big loss if he is sold in Jan.

However, this result has uncanny echoes of the famous Bastia game back in 1977 - we were having a bad season in the league(got relegated), yet went to another island close to Italy(Corsica), and beat Bastia 2-1 in the UEFA Cup.

Unfortunately, we were ambushed by Johnny Rep , the Dutch World Cup star in the return match - they were 2-0 up in no time and we never looked like winning. Lets hope history doesn't repeat itself - Palermo are quite capable of winning at SJP.

Just as well we don't have to play them again then isn't it?  :lol:

Just as well we don't have to play them again then isn't it?  :lol:

Merlin, stop looking in your crystal ball, mate.  The games are on the telly!! 

If Milner had had a little more experience, he would have gone down mst likely and we would have got the penalty.

I was going to say that that's what Shearer would have done... but on second thoughts, Shearer would have broke the net. :lol:

Wash your mouth out.

Twice! ;)

I got criticised for saying this before, but Milner needs to get a bit more street-wise and gain a few more free kicks. I'm not talking about diving when you haven't been touched. I'm talking about not struggling to stay on your feet when you've been fouled, and in some situations, positioning your body so you get fouled.

Get that lot back in on Saturday!! 

That's the first time in a long time that I've seen players in  Newcastle shirts play like they know what they are doing - and interested in doing it!

Guest newcastle4life

Playing the bench players wouldnt do much worse. Sheffield is the bigger game but a good result should help. expect a hammering but hopefully toon will snatch a 1-0 win Luque goal  maybe he has the oppurtunity to impress for once.

happy getting the result i asked for for once come, not a bad days work  bluelaugh.gif Well done lads

First-half diagnosis?

Awful start but settled down and played well defensively and some good stuff going forward.

Second-half diagnosis?

same defensively fantastic goalkeeping by Krul but nothing going forward

Full-time diagnosis?

great performance to steal victory hopefully the performance carry on but better attacking

Star man for United?

Krul saved the match with saves  but the rest were also outstanding especially Butt and Milner

Worst United player?

Zoggy who didnt have his best game when its mostly defensive still happy with his performance

Opposition comment?

couldnt tell they were top in italy and apart from small periods cause no problems

Toon-pros?

another clean sheet

Krul

Luque goal

Toon-cons?

not much attacking after goal but one was enough

Post-match feelings?

delighted didnt want to sacrifice match for upcoming matches when toon should try for them all delighted with the result and the players effort.

What a fantastic result, I thought we were going to get beat by double figures in the first ten minutes. Then we slowly crept into the game. The defence held firm and the mid field especially Millner and Butt were great. Millners cross for Luque was superb, Albert didn't even have to jump, finally in the right place at the right time! Well done Albert, however my only criticism is  YOU NEED TO BE MORE AGRESSIVE and pressure the ball, close the defence down. If you could do that you would stand more chance of a first team place. You need a hunger like you haven't been fed for a week and the ball is a big juicy steak. We all want to see you do well, your first touch is great but you have got to show some determination, if you can you will win over the fans no problem and be the player we know you can be.

Tim Krull, was out of this world in goal, I bet his father was the proudest man in Christendom, I bet no toon fan will forget that debut, but will he start on Saturday???

Great result for the players, manager and fans.

Defensively, i really do feel that it was a superb performance. The best so far this season. Moore's intelligence, Bramble's tackles, Ramage and Taylor's doggedness. But we were insanely frustrating going forward. But that was the tactics though, not the players. It looked like Roeder went into that game, absolutely 100% definitely looking for a draw. We didn't look like we wanted to attack, at any point in the game, and we could have scored so many more against an average defense.

We were so slow going forward and the passes were so backward, that Palermo jsut got all their man back and defended with ease. The goal came out of nothing - that was the only ball into the box bar a corner.

But like i said earlier - i'm not really complaining. We got a fabulous three points and massive credit to the defense and the keeper. But Palermo should have won that game hands down, because we just didn't look like we wanted to attack. Fortunately our defense was on form for once.

I'm just not getting ahead of myself because i thought Roeder's performance was crap once again, and i don't credit him whatsoever for the victory. He clearly told the lads at half time to let them attack and simply defend, and that's a shocking tactic with a defense like ours. But fortunately, our defense but in a performance that we see once in a blue moon.

With a better manager with better tactics, we'd have beaten Palermo comfortably tonight.

Don't get me wrong - i'm still absolutely thrilled that we won the game, but it was the defense that won it for us, not the attack or the manager.

I disagree a lot. Defensively we were bad. Tim Krul saves the game for us, not our defenders. How many times our defense is ripped apart easily by throughpass? Save after save, last minute clearance after clearance - these are signs of horrible defense.

At least we won, and at least the denders show that they are willing to compensate their poor defensive ability with hardwork.

Wash your mouth out.

Twice! ;)

I got criticised for saying this before, but Milner needs to get a bit more street-wise and gain a few more free kicks. I'm not talking about diving when you haven't been touched. I'm talking about not struggling to stay on your feet when you've been fouled, and in some situations, positioning your body so you get fouled.

we call it DIVING

Wash your mouth out.

Twice! ;)

we call it DIVING

And I call it helping the ref to make the right decision.  :winking:

First-half diagnosis?

Played well against a good team, we couldn't have asked for any more.

Second-half diagnosis?

Played well again, we hardly ever looked to be in danger.

Full-time diagnosis?

A lot better than expected.

Star man for United?

Krul and Milner, possibly Krul considering it was his first start.

Worst United player?

I can't think of any.

Opposition comment?

Had players out but so did we, they played some canny football.

Toon-pros?

Played better than expected, played good passing football and we watched a few good displays from people who would have had an excuse for not playing the way they did.

Toon-cons?

None on the night.

Post-match feelings?

Does this game show that Roeder is a poor manager?

We play well and win when he doesn't have any decisions to make because of being down to the bare bones.  When he has to pick the team and has to work out tactics he's left looking a bit daft.

Guest optimistic nit

Nah, it's not diving - because there is contact and the player is clearly fouling him.

yorkie it is diving :lol:

Guest Bellers

By no means do I think we were the better side over the 90 minutes, although it was a cracking away performance.  We certainly rode our luck at times, but we were never expected to dominate this game.  And a good performance and confidence booster for Luque, hopefully he retains his position on Saturday.

First-half diagnosis?

I feared a rout in the first ten minutes, but we settled down and looked comfortable at times...

Second-half diagnosis?

Palermo brought the big guns on and if it wasn't for one Mr. Krul we could have easily gone under...

Full-time diagnosis?

Very happy for the lads, lots of effort and a much needed win against classy opposition...

Star man for United?

Without a doubt Krul, the lad played a blinder...

Worst United player?

Moore or Bramble both as bad as each other...

Opposition comment?

Awesome, they were a class above and are bound for great things this season...

Toon-pros?

A much needed win, and great preformances from some of the younger lads...

Toon-cons?

The defence still looks God awful...

Post-match feelings?

This win will mean nothing if we don't claim all three points on saturday...

Guest *newcastle 4 life*

Thoughts on the game - Shambles and Moore are ****ing terrible defenders.

Krul looks to be a good keeper, played well.

Luque could actually prove me wrong, and end up being a pretty average player, rather than a shite one.

We NEED 2 actually good strikers.

Roeder is a poor manager, whose transfer acumen is only marginally outweighed by his tactical ineptitude.

Oh, and we played pretty much like a bottom 5 team. We'd have been gutted by a decent side.

is there any1 u actually think is good? give it a rest would u? every1 else thinks we played well so try listening 2 them 4 once. moore played  soapbox.gif brilliantly

go the toon!!  :tnarmy:   :celb:   :monster: