The Mackems Game

Tooj

My dad was in Louis' in Jesmond the other night and Martins was there at a table with another young lad - him and his mate got photo's taken with him and then my dad's mate asked him if he'd be fit for the Sunderland game. Oba said that he hoped to be fit but he wasn't sure whether he would be.

From the news section of the Sunday Sun

THE Tyne-Wear derby on Sunday is being built up as the most important clash between the bitter rivals since the promotion play-off clash of 1990. With both clubs perilously close to relegation, defeat would mean the dreaded drop becomes ever more likely. Is the game a matter of life or death for the two top North clubs, or is it more important than that? MIKE KELLY reports . . .

After dismissing the Tyne-Wear clash as not so special when he was Magpies’ manager in 1999, he proceeded to emphasise how little he thought of it by dropping Alan Shearer and strike partner Duncan Ferguson to the bench for that season’s Tyne-Wear clash.

Sunderland won 2-1 at a rain- lashed St James’s Park . . . and Gullit resigned three days later.

Turn back the clock nine years to a derby fixture nobody had any doubt about the importance of. It was the Second Division play-off game over two legs, with the winner going on to Wembley to play for a place in the old First Division.

After a 0-0 draw at Roker Park it was back to St James’s for the decider, which Sunderland won 2-0.

Many are comparing the importance of Sunday’s clash with the 1990 game, as the loser could find themselves playing in a lower division next year.

But is it a case of over-hyping a traditionally important clash, or are the stakes really that high?

Former Newcastle United defender John Beresford is emphatic: “Yes, the stakes are that high.”

To pinch a well-used phrase of Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson, he said it really is “squeaky bum” time for the two North East giants.

“It’s your classic six-pointer, and whoever wins will be breathing more easily,” he said.

Former Sunderland defender Gary Bennett — who took part in the play-off games — said that, while the pressure will, as ever, be intense, it’s not quite as high as in 1990 when it was winner takes all.

He said: “Back then, whoever won was one game from winning promotion. Whoever loses next week will still have 15 games to play to beat relegation.”

His ex-team mate, striker Marco Gabbiadini, agrees but added that it was difficult to increase the tension of a derby anyway, relegation battle or not.

He explained: “For about three games before the derby, fans were just talking about that one match. It was incredible.”

Mention of the 1990 play-offs bring back fond memories for Gabbiadini, as he scored the decisive second goal that led to a pitch invasion by Toon fans.

He said: “There were still seven minutes to go but the referee assured us we would finish the match come what may. But it was a bit scary.”

Meanwhile, Toon legend Chris Waddle said the relegation dogfight had added spice to the clash. “It’s the first derby where there is a possibility of the two going down. The result has become that bit more crucial.”

Newcastle United fans look away now . . . Waddle’s assessment is that Sunderland are better equipped to beat the drop. He said: “The Newcastle fans are used to being in the top four with Kevin Keegan and Sir Bobby Robson. Now there’s talk of them going down. Nobody has talked about that for a few years.”

And how does Waddle think the game will go? Not one to sit on the fence, he said: “My heart says a draw, my head says a draw too.”

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/news/north-east-news/2009/01/25/tyne-wear-derby-is-more-than-just-a-game-79310-22772127/

Memorable Tyne-Wear derbies

NEWCASTLE 1-9 SUNDERLAND (December 1908) Record derby win. 1-1 at half time, Sunderland scored eight in 28mins.

NEWCASTLE 6-1 SUNDERLAND (October 1920) Newcastle’s best win at St James’s Park.

SUNDERLAND 1-6 NEWCASTLE Newcastle’s finishing was devastating at Roker Park on Boxing Day, 1955, and were 6-1 up after 25 minutes.

SUNDERLAND 1-0 NEWCASTLE (April 1980) Sunderland’s last competitive victory over Newcastle at Roker Park.

NEWCASTLE 0-2 SUNDERLAND (May 1990) In the most important Tyne-Wear derby to date, goals by Eric Gates and Marco Gabbiadini secured a place in the Wembley play-off final.

NEWCASTLE 1-2 SUNDERLAND (August 1999) Alan Shearer and Duncan Ferguson are left on the bench, and goals by current Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn, left, and Kevin Phillips secure the win.

SUNDERLAND 1-4 NEWCASTLE (April 2006) The final game of Alan Shearer’s career.

SUNDERLAND 2-1 NEWCASTLE (October 2008) Sunderland defeated Newcastle for the first time on Wearside since 1980.

THIS IS BIGGER THAN V SPURS FOLKS!!!!

Guest toonlass

I love and hate derby games. Always feel nervous as heck before them and then feel totally sick all morning until the game starts. The euphoria or the devastation is just amazing though. Its what you love football for. It was my bairns first derby last year, when we won 2-0 and she was buzzing, absolutely loved it. Am already starting to feel nervous about this one.

I love and hate derby games. Always feel nervous as heck before them and then feel totally sick all morning until the game starts. The euphoria or the devastation is just amazing though. Its what you love football for. It was my bairns first derby last year, when we won 2-0 and she was buzzing, absolutely loved it. Am already starting to feel nervous about this one.

Couldnt of put it better myself.

If Butt and Barton are solid and on top of their game then we have a great chance.....and if Owen's on form then even better.

I have a feeling Barton could win this for us.

If Butt's on the pitch we'll struggle.

If Butt and Barton are solid and on top of their game then we have a great chance.....and if Owen's on form then even better.

Aye probably. But he's due a good performance so hopefully this will be it.

Aye probably. But he's due a good performance so hopefully this will be it.

Most of our team are fucking due a good performance, Duff has been ever since he arrived! Admire the optimism. We'll cock them.

Got to remember that the mackems are shitting themselves too about this game. They know they're pretty wank and going away to Newcastle and losing is their biggest nightmare. They'll play for a draw I think so the onus is on us to take it to them and pressure them. We've got a few injuries but we should have a few back too. We're also due a win.

I think we'll do them.

Got to remember that the mackems are shitting themselves too about this game. They know they're pretty w*** and going away to Newcastle and losing is their biggest nightmare. They'll play for a draw I think so the onus is on us to take it to them and pressure them. We've got a few injuries but we should have a few back too. We're also due a win.

I think we'll do them.

The atmosphere gives us a massive edge.

Got to remember that the mackems are shitting themselves too about this game. They know they're pretty w*** and going away to Newcastle and losing is their biggest nightmare. They'll play for a draw I think so the onus is on us to take it to them and pressure them. We've got a few injuries but we should have a few back too. We're also due a win.

I think we'll do them.

The atmosphere gives us a massive edge.

Concurred. :)

First goal (as always) is absolutely massive though. Need to attack them from start to finish because they're weak defensively imo.

Hope to god McShane plays.

I see the Mackems were up to there old tricks at the recent reserve team game:

Toon players also had to keep their heads in front of a partisan home crowd, and goalkeeping coach Paul Barron was also confronted by a Sunderland fan’s over-zealous celebrations when the Wearmen equalised.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/01/22/money-praises-newcastle-united-reserves-72703-22752944/

First goal (as always) is absolutely massive though. Need to attack them from start to finish because they're weak defensively imo.

The only thing I'm not looking forwards to is the coins coming down from Level 7, Liam O has more to worry about than I have this year.

Edit.

And he deserves it.

They only come out of our shadow once or twice every other decade.

My only fear is Kinnear being as clueless a cunt as he was at their place earlier this season. Mind, anyone would think they'd won the Champions League final at the whistle. I'd be fucking embarrassed if our support went on like that.

They only come out of our shadow once or twice every other decade.

My only fear is Kinnear being as clueless a c*** as he was at their place earlier this season. Mind, anyone would think they'd won the Champions League final at the whistle. I'd be f***ing embarrassed if our support went on like that.

I hope we beat them and they go on the same kind of run as they did after the last game.

The only thing I'm not looking forwards to is the coins coming down from Level 7, Liam O has more to worry about than I have this year.

Edit.

And he deserves it.

I'm not sitting in my own seat on Sunday :pow:

I'm sitting further back even nearer to them as my dad has got us tickets in the upper tier directly behind my seat for his birthday. :lol:

I'm sitting further back even nearer to them as my dad has got us tickets in the upper tier directly behind my seat for his birthday. :lol:

Has your dad been in contact with any insurers lately?

Has your dad been in contact with any insurers lately?

No but my mam got him the tickets & she has ???

Guest aoliversaknob

Battle of the shitfest,

A boxing match contested between opponents with no arms.

Genius Gimp Genius!

Unfortunatley I think we may be in trouble. Primarily because our centre backscan not handle pace and power and the first 11 from the village of the damned have two strikers with those attribute.  Colli versus kenwyn or cissee sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it!

Guest diddimz

Just have to keep reminding myself, all the problems we've had this season, all the shite we've had to endure and we're still above them on the table. They're just as bad as us really, and coming into this game, I can't see them feeling to confident. I can't help but think though that whoever loses this game will go down.