Barton for Captain?

Parsley

Guest firetotheworks

His hatred in losing and desire to win is one thing. His anger when he loses and the way he takes it out on players, or slags them off on the radio, or smacks them on a training ground is another. He has the Souness attitude. It works when a player works to his own morals, but it doesnt when he forces them upon others.

Who's to say he's still like this?

Well the way he pushed Enrique today after everything thats happened doesnt suggest that he hasn't. Im not anti-Barton, I just wouldn't have him as captain. Personally I'd give it to Beye, he's a talker and a doer, and has an upbeat character, seems to get on with everyone too.

Guest LucaAltieri

He came on today and started roughing up our own left back.

I'm not sure making him captain would be such a morale booster for the team.

While I don't advocating him beating up his own team-mates, at least he shows some emotion. Michael Owen looks like he is bored stiff and just waiting for Man City to come and get him. How inspirational and motivational that must be!

An ineffective captain is better than a captain that has a negative effect.

What are you on about? How can Owen's glaring desire to leave this club be seen as anything but a negative effect? What does Owen actually do in a match when he doesn't score to gee the lads on? Have you seen how annonymous he is when he doesn't have the ball? There is no one man bigger than this club, even England's Michael Owen!

I can only assume you didn't see the game today. Whenever we broke through their back line it was usually down to Owen finding some space in behind.

This "glaring desire" to leave is entirely your own opinion, by the way. Everything he's said so far has been to the contrary and the club has only recent started contract talks with him.

On the other hand you have Barton who is quite clearly a twat of a man.

No I didn't see or hear the game today. But I have seen plenty others. The glaring desire I speak of is to wait about talking about his contract until he is a free agent. Surely if he wanted to be at the club (and he claims money is not the object) then his agent can negotiate the deal and he can sign it. His refusal to sort out the deal until the summer points towards the fact that he doesn't want to be here.

or he's keeping his options open... as I'm sure you would if given the same situation... as I'm sure any decent players would given the same situation. If Ameobi and Butt had any real prospects in the Premiership do you think they'd have re-signed?

Fact is; Owen wants to win. Whether it's because he wants to get into the England side, or he's in the shop window, or whatever. He wants to do well regardless.

Anyway, we're digressing...

A rule of thumb in our situation should be: first do no harm. While Owen may or may not be the ideal captain he's certainly a better influence than a lose cannon.

Don't get me wrong, Barton is a good player and I want him in the side for the time being. However, as passionate as he is, he doesn't exactly have the best judgement does he? He's certainly not a leader of men that the changing room are going to look up to and rally behind.

While I don't advocating him beating up his own team-mates, at least he shows some emotion. Michael Owen looks like he is bored stiff and just waiting for Man City to come and get him. How inspirational and motivational that must be!

What are you on about? How can Owen's glaring desire to leave this club be seen as anything but a negative effect? What does Owen actually do in a match when he doesn't score to gee the lads on? Have you seen how annonymous he is when he doesn't have the ball? There is no one man bigger than this club, even England's Michael Owen!

I can only assume you didn't see the game today. Whenever we broke through their back line it was usually down to Owen finding some space in behind.

This "glaring desire" to leave is entirely your own opinion, by the way. Everything he's said so far has been to the contrary and the club has only recent started contract talks with him.

No I didn't see or hear the game today. But I have seen plenty others. The glaring desire I speak of is to wait about talking about his contract until he is a free agent. Surely if he wanted to be at the club (and he claims money is not the object) then his agent can negotiate the deal and he can sign it. His refusal to sort out the deal until the summer points towards the fact that he doesn't want to be here.

or he's keeping his options open... as I'm sure you would if given the same situation... as I'm sure any decent players would given the same situation. If Ameobi and Butt had any real prospects in the Premiership do you think they'd have re-signed?

Fact is; Owen wants to win. Whether it's because he wants to get into the England side, or he's in the shop window, or whatever. He wants to do well regardless.

A rule of thumb in our situation should be: first do no harm. While Owen may or may not be the ideal captain he's certainly a better influence than a lose cannon.

Don't get me wrong, Barton is a good player and I want him in the side for the time being. However, as passionate as he is, he doesn't exactly have the best judgement does he? He's certainly not a leader of men that the changing room are going to look up to and rally behind.

Him staying hinges on signing quality in the next two weeks.  If he see's no progress then he'll be off and I don't blame him.  Greedy little bastard

Guest toonlass

I am not saying Barton is the man for the armband, but by "keeping his options open" Michael Owen can have a detrimental effect on other members of the squad who could see it as a lack of loyalty. If the captain isn't bothered then why should they be. If Michael Owen wants to do well, then he has been damn good at hiding it this season. He has on more than one occassion looked as if he couldn't be arsed. How can he be a good influence on a team? Just because he doesn't go drinking in Tigertiger? When was the last time you saw Michael Owen spurring on the lads on the field? If we had a striker who could score goals at the same rate as Michael Owen would you automatically make him captain?

Guest Stephen927

Highly doubt the captaincy will change hands unless Owen suffers an injury or he is subbed in a game. Kinnear will keep it with Owen in a vain attempt to keep Michael happy. Taking the captaincy away from Owen will just push him further towards the exit door.

Guest LucaAltieri

I am not saying Barton is the man for the armband, but by "keeping his options open" Michael Owen can have a detrimental effect on other members of the squad who could see it as a lack of loyalty. If the captain isn't bothered then why should they be. If Michael Owen wants to do well, then he has been damn good at hiding it this season. He has on more than one occassion looked as if he couldn't be arsed. How can he be a good influence on a team? Just because he doesn't go drinking in Tigertiger? When was the last time you saw Michael Owen spurring on the lads on the field? If we had a striker who could score goals at the same rate as Michael Owen would you automatically make him captain?

Are you suggesting he's missing sitter on purpose? Are you suggesting he doesn't care one way or the other if he scores? Come on...

It's very east to side with Barton because he shows passion and has some fight in him which are great attributes for a captain, but I think he'd end up wrecking the team spirit. He started with Enrique today, and it brings too many uncomfortable memories of the D'abo business at City. Most of their squad had their fill of him by the time he left.

He's a good player but I'm disappointed it looks like he's incapable of growing up.

Guest toonlass

Highly doubt the captaincy will change hands unless Owen suffers an injury or he is subbed in a game. Kinnear will keep it with Owen in a vain attempt to keep Michael happy. Taking the captaincy away from Owen will just push him further towards the exit door.

Well bye bye michael, sell him for several million, and spend that and half his wages on a striker who can score a few goals and gives half a toss.

Owen's off in the summer anyway. If he's stripped after the window he won't be leaving any sooner, plus if he wants to play for England Owen'll have to keep his performances up anyway.

Guest toonlass

Are you suggesting he's missing sitter on purpose? Are you suggesting he doesn't care one way or the other if he scores? Come on...

I don't think he does care if he scores. All he is bothered about is the ££££££££££'s. His heart isn't in it at Newcastle, that is why he is missing chances, he couldn't give a toss.

Guest firetotheworks

On the other hand you have Barton who is quite clearly a t*** of a man.

I don't think he does care if he scores. All he is bothered about is the ££££££££££'s. His heart isn't in it at Newcastle, that is why he is missing chances, he couldn't give a toss.

eyup, thats a new one!

Guest toonlass

eyup, thats a new one!

Explain games like Wednesday then, when he had clear chances that he fucked up, and pulled out of at least 3 50/50 tackles then.

Guest firetotheworks

eyup, thats a new one!

Explain games like Wednesday then, when he had clear chances that he f***ed up, and pulled out of at least 3 50/50 tackles then.

I cant explain the 50/50s because I agree with you on that, but missing chances because his heart isn't in it is something else. If he wanted to go he'd be looking to score to show what he can do, if he wanted to stay he'd be looking to score because..ah fuck it, he wants to score! It's what he likes to do.

Guest LucaAltieri

I find that a ridiculous idea. He wants to be successful. We're still offering him some wedge. If he does leave it's because he sees more opportunity for success elsewhere. Owen wants to be in a winning side. If he only cared about money he'd have signed another contract with us. Apart from possibly Man City is there any club that would be willing and able to match what we pay him?

ANYWAY... even if you don't like Owen as captain, why would you want Barton as captain? On one hand he's passionate, on the other hand he's a cunt. If you just want passion then make Taylor or Butt captain. They show just as much desire to win as Barton without alienating their team mates.

Guest Stephen927

Owen's off in the summer anyway. If he's stripped after the window he won't be leaving any sooner, plus if he wants to play for England Owen'll have to keep his performances up anyway.

I'd rather not upset Owen even after this month, because if you look at the teams around us he's a class above any other striker there.

Was always risky giving him the captaincy, because he's always looked like leaving when his contract runs out, and because to strip him of it when he's our best striker is too big a risk.

It's best to keep him as happy as possible because his goals will keep us up this season, it's just a shame he doesn't get more service and that our midfielders don't chip in with goals to help him and to take some of the pressure off our strikers.

eyup, thats a new one!

Explain games like Wednesday then, when he had clear chances that he fucked up, and pulled out of at least 3 50/50 tackles then.

Everyone pulled out of 50/50 challenges on Wednesday, it seemed like the players had been told not to get injured. He certainly didn't pull out of any today.

eyup, thats a new one!

Explain games like Wednesday then, when he had clear chances that he f***ed up, and pulled out of at least 3 50/50 tackles then.

Everyone pulled out of 50/50 challenges on Wednesday, it seemed like the players had been told not to get injured. He certainly didn't pull out of any today.

To be honest I thought Owen was giving it 100% today. At least until we conceded and everyone just collectively gave up.

I honestly have no fucking idea what's going on in that man's head. One day I think he's as good as gone already, another I'm not so sure.

eyup, thats a new one!

To be honest I thought Owen was giving it 100% today. At least until we conceded and everyone just collectively gave up.

I honestly have no fucking idea what's going on in that man's head. One day I think he's as good as gone already, another I'm not so sure.

Likewise. Agree with everything you've said.

I don't care if Barton nearly tore a part out of Enrique.

At least he was man enough to tell him he was playing fucking shit and his defending was appauling. He was just jogging into the box for that third goal.

Make Barton captain. He's passionate and mad, he'll soon ruffle a few feathers and get us acting like we fucking care.