Barton for Captain?

Parsley

Despite his sociopathic tendencies, I like Barton. But I don't know how he'd handle the captaincy, and stripping Owen of the role would bring its own problems.

What I'd like to see is Martins and Shola getting fit, and Owen getting dropped.

But many of you will know that already.

Put it this way: Wullie would give the captaincy to Duff before I'd give it to Barton. I'm a firm believer that having a centre half as captain would be useful for us right now. Bassong.

I thought Barton over reacted but he was right to react to Enrique. Jose couldn`t be bothered to get him fat self back and tuck in with the other 3 defenders. We might have already lost the game mentally when the pen was given but goal difference might be the difference between staying up and going down this season. A professional defender should know this and it must piss the other players off if someone isnt doing the basics.

Armband or not Barton will react like that alot more.

It should be Beye btw.

Should be, but he wont be back for a while.

I'm a yes for Barton, although Big Tron tells a cautionary tale. Seems like the only one bar Bassong and Guthrie that gives a shit, Taylor would be in there if he wasnt such a liability.

Guest LucaAltieri

If Roy Keane when he was playing would have done what Barton done yesterday people would have lauded him for showing passion and not being afraid to bollock his team mates.

Did Roy Keane have the respect of his team mates?

I'd be very surprised if Joey Barton does.

If Roy Keane when he was playing would have done what Barton done yesterday people would have lauded him for showing passion and not being afraid to bollock his team mates.

At a time when we have threads accusing the players of not giving a shit, it does seem ironic that one is getting slated for doing exactly that.

Guest LucaAltieri

At a time when we have threads accusing the players of not giving a shit, it does seem ironic that one is getting slated for doing exactly that.

For what it's worth I think Roy Keane is a cock, too.

However, when he's a world class player it's a bit easier to listen to a gobby areshole.

When he's just an average player who just got our of prison and barely kicked a ball for his current club, well I imagine that's a bit hard to stomach.

Two very different players. Two very different people. Keane actually demonstrated some leadership skills. Barton doesn't.

At a time when we have threads accusing the players of not giving a s***, it does seem ironic that one is getting slated for doing exactly that.

Is it not more of a confidence thing with Enrique though? In the same way that booing the players isnt going to help, demostrating as openley and aggresiveley isnt going to help imo.

Guest Geordie Boyo

I've always favoured a captain playing in the middle of the park. He has to have passion, commitment and good communication with obviously a good understanding of what individual should be producing on the pitch. I think Barton fits that criteria, IMO, and I can only see a responsibility like this maturing him as a player and person. It certainly won't do any harm to trail.

You need a bigger presence in my view and I just don't feel that Owen has the right character to fulfill the needs of that role, IMO.

Said this before, think he'd be a good captain, although there are disadvantages to this, like would theplayers resent playing under his leadership, think giving him the armband would settle him as a player and a person, its his to lose that way.

Does remind me alot to Roy Keane, only not as good.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Barton has been out for 3 months and is back for 10mins when he starts fighting with a team mate.

Some players might deserve a kick up the backside but not from Barton.

Obviously Barton can bring back the class,dignity and quality as a player and as a person we currently lack as a club.

Until he gets sent off again, or hauled up in court and jailed for another crime....

If an unreliable thug like Barton is all we have to hang our hopes on then we deserve to be finished as a club.

Barton has been out for 3 months and is back for 10mins when he starts fighting with a team mate.

Some players might deserve a kick up the backside but not from Barton.

Obviously Barton can bring back the class,dignity and quality as a player and as a person we currently lack as a club.

Until he gets sent off again,hauled up in court and jailed for another crime....

If an unreliable thug like Barton is all we have to hang our hopes on then we deserve to be finished as a club.

:clap:

Guest Chris P

Yes . i was just thinking that before reading all the thread titles. If he's taking on the responsibility to bollock other players IE Enrique, even if he did it the wrong way. Then maybe it's time to give him responsibility for the entire team full time.

He would also feel the importance of that position and hopefully mature at the same time , taking away some of that unpredictability

Could it be worth the risk?

- We're in desperate times and need more of a character at the forefront to keep morale high. For me Owen just isn't vocal enough and while I can accept that he leads by example, that's difficult to do when his role is purely scoring goals and Barton's is to win tackles. I think seeing Barton winning challenges will inspire the midfield, our big problem area, more than seeing Owen beat the offside trap only to miss his daily sitter.

- He's already captained Man City.

- Owen's off in the summer anyway so any dissuasion caused might not count for much.

- Barton can communicate with the players and drive them, I'm not convinced Owen can. I've never seen Owen pep up the team like Barton did before West Brom while he's been captain.

Obviously it has some big drawbacks in that the media would have an orgy over it and it could push Owen out the door when we desperately need his goals. I'd also like to point out that I think Owen's a terrific player but while it made sense for KK to hand him the captaincy last season, circumstances have chanegd massively and perhaps giving Barton the armband could give the players the morale boost they need.

I agree with all of these points and would certainly have Barton as captain over Owen.