Is Dennis Wise a disruptive influence? Or are the fans making him one?

The Prophet

We all know the history of the man. He was appointed "executive director" of the club, his job? To assist the board with football related matters, including the club's academy and player recruitment. Just after the summer transfer market closed Kevin Keegan left the club and a large number of fans pointed the finger at Wise. So history aside, at this moment in time is Dennis Wise a disruptive influence or are the fans making him one?

Currently what is Wise doing? Well we constantly hear of him jetting off to France, Germany, Brazil and various other counties in an attempt to find the latest talent for both the first team and the academy. Has he been successful? Well we are seeing a fairly constant stream of foreign lads being pumped into the youth system which suggest he's at least trying to do a good job on that front. The real test will be how many of these young lads actually make it. Even a handful could be deemed as a success.

It's when we look at what role he has in first team recruitment where it all gets a bit hazy. It was clearly stated by Kevin Keegan upon leaving that certain players were "imposed" upon him. Given the timing it's reasonable to infer those players were Gonzales and Xisco. This begs the question is Wise imposing players on Kinnear? Kinnear insists he has a grasp on first team transfers but its unclear how big a role Wise has to play in the current system. Is he a scout? Does he conduct the negotiations? Or does he do everything short of picking Kinnear's sunshine dress up from the cleaners? Giving what we know we can only hazard a guess at where things lay and there are two schools of thought. Either Kinnear has the power to sign who he wants and Wise is now simply a scout or Wise has control and Kinnear is simply a "yes" man.

Either way we've had little complaint from Kinnear but I'd still consider Wise a negative influence and I'd say this is obviously down to the fans. When Wise was appointed I was bemused as anyone. I didn't like the man I still don't, and when Keegan left I think people assumed the blame laid at his doorstep simply because they didn't like him. We've heard of the cockney mafia and other equally pathetic name calling and all this when we still don't have a clear picture what went down last summer. If I were Ashley I'd have considered sacking Wise by now. Whether he's doing a good job has become irrelevant really. Wise has become a hate figure amongst many fans and this only adds to the negativity around St. James'.

So is Wise actually doing anything wrong? Well we don't really know. Kinnear has had very little to say on the issue and for the time being that can only be a good thing. Despite the lack of inside knowledge a large group of fans still persist to call for the head of Wise (and board in general) and this is only adding to the negative vibe surrounding the club. Wise may have done a good job but he is such a hated figure amongst our support I'd say his influence is becoming largely negative. If Ashley is determined to stick with the current set up I think it would be sensible of him at least to consider getting shot of Wise and replacing him with a less controversial figu

Currently what is Wise doing? Well we constantly hear of him jetting off to France, Germany, Brazil and various other counties in an attempt to find the latest talent for both the first team and the academy.

Do we?

He is just a figure everyone knows, its easy to direct blame his way, especially with how much he was hated in his playing days.

No-one bar the top line at the club could tell you for sure, but I'd lean towards everyone wanting Wise to be the disruptive figure rather than him actually being it.

Had we appointed an old boy or someone one unknown they wouldnt be getting the same stick IMO.

As far as I'm concerned he has been doing his job pretty well, because I like everyone else dont know any different, despite popular opinion.

Currently what is Wise doing? Well we constantly hear of him jetting off to France, Germany, Brazil and various other counties in an attempt to find the latest talent for both the first team and the academy.

Do we?

Yes.

He's kept his head down and brought in a number of seemingly promising young players.

We as fans have berated the club for neglating this area since time began.

So yes he seems to be doing his job.

If we get one established first teamer, a couple of squad players and sell a few for a £500k plus then its a job well done imo.

Don't know what went on re Xisco/Keegan/Wise so not commenting

Do we?

Yes.

Righto, I've never heard this. Only places I've ever heard him going to are Leeds and MK Dons.

I'd be more confident in actual scouts (Vetere, Fucillo) going to these places rather than the ex-manager of Swindon Town and I'd be inclined to think that's what does actually happen.

It is the lack of silence from the Board and the management that makes him to be the one.

Well in the end it's related to why Keegan's sacked/resigned/whatsoever.  Probably no one will know the truth.

I'm still unsure.  As you said, Prophet, he appears to be flying off around the globe to scout players for us, suggesting that he'd give that list to Kinnear, and not go straight to Ashley/Llambias, insisting that these players are signed, as some would like to make out, and was the slant many people adopted/believed with regards to his relationship with Keegan.

With Kinnear saying nothing regarding Dennis Wise's role at the club, I for one am of the opinion that he is little more than a scout, and don't think that he has the final say on transfers.  From what I read at the time, and what I've read since, it seems that with regards to Keegan packing it in, it was more the influence of Jiminez, who has now fucked off.  Having said that, my opinion is based on the media slant and what some have claimed on here, in that it was Jiminez going to Ashley and insisting that we signed Gonzalez and Xisco, rather than it being Wise.

When the rumour of Wise's appointment first came out, I said on here that there was more chance of Ernie Wise becoming our DOF. That's how unlikely I thought it was. But he's done a good job, including the recruitment of everyone's hero Mr Ranger.

I really disagree with the idea that Wise should be sacked just because he's unpopular with the fans. Ashley hasn't done everything right, but one thing that does do him credit is he was prepared to stand by what he thought was right even when Keegan was trying to manipulate public opinion to get rid of Wise. Whether his judgement was right or not, he stuck to his guns in the face of pressure. In the long term, that decision may well prove to be a very good one.

After all thats went on, and because of the lack of communication, I am suspicous & worried about how much power he has.

And in the long run, I also dont agree with him bieng involved in the recruitment of the first team. Academy/younger players, no problem, seemingly fine work already been done in that department, and a refreshing change too.

Imo the first team should be managed 100% by the manager, who has signs the players he wants, has his own set up of scouts, all on the budget given to him. So it is clear & precise, see the thread: http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,59613.msg1663112.html#msg1663112

Guest Darth Toon

I agree with SBR - Dennis Wise is in no way qualified to be a Director of Football at this level.

There is also significant evidence that points towards him being a horrible little shit.

After all thats went on, and because of the lack of communication, I am suspicous & worried about how much power he has.

And in the long run, I also dont agree with him bieng involved in the recruitment of the first team. Academy/younger players, no problem, seemingly fine work already been done in that department, and a refreshing change too.

Imo the first team should be managed 100% by the manager, who has signs the players he wants, has his own set up of scouts, all on the budget given to him. So it is clear & precise, see the thread: http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,59613.msg1663112.html#msg1663112

What happens if the manager doesn't have any scouts?

Do you remember when Glen Roeder was here and he went scouting Dirk Kuyt even though he had already agreed to join Liverpool, then complained after that the club only had one scout at the club?

What happens if the manager doesn't have any scouts?

Do you remember when Glen Roeder was here and he went scouting Dirk Kuyt even though he had already agreed to join Liverpool, then complained after that the club only had one scout at the club?

The manager should be able to appoint whoever/how many scouts he wants. He's the most important man at the football club, therefore should be able to create the structure he wants, and the club should be moulded around the manager in a way. Like David Moyes at Everton, on a low budget.

Guest Heneage

Jesus christ people on here, who do you think found some of our current signings in the summer and academy lads? Just because he was a twat as a player doesn't mean he can't do a good job.

I think Wise should have, say, 3-4m for getting some cheap bargains for the first team.  Certainly the manager should have the control but it isn't a bad idea to give Wise a small budget when he's doing extensive scouting.