Journal 'sources': Newcastle offer £10m for Veloso

Baggio

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/01/30/united-swoop-for-4-5m-star-nolan-61634-22816709/

..sources in Portugal also revealing the Magpies have made a £10m offer for Sporting Lisbon midfielder Miguel Veloso..

???

10m? Like we have that much to bargain with. It'd be more likely to be a scene out of a film where cultured western folk are bargaining with the backwards tribe for acceptance. There'll be scenes of Llambias handing over his glasses and the Sporting president nibbling on them.

Ashley will have a struggling sack over his shoulder filled with a stroppy Insomnia.

Cashwise, if we get £8m for Given and a few million for Zog (and Taylor as part of it), then £10m for someone like this and £4m for Nolan (plus maybe £3m for Ebonda) would still leave an outlay of less than £10m with the wages of Zog and Given likely to be far higher than that of the two or three new players. All in all, wouldn't be too outlandish, still don't see it happening though.

I think it's likely that we have done a deal with Bolton that they can have Veloso if we got Nolan. We might go back in for M'bia instead I reckon.

or they want mbia?  and we'll take veloso    :pow:

Bolton have been check-mated, we win either way  :pow:

http://it.eurosport.yahoo.com/30012009/44/veloso-niente-bolton-potrebbe-restare-lisbona.html

Portugal came from news about Miguel Veloso. The Sporting Lisbon, in fact, appears to have refused a final offer made by Bolton for the midfielder. Newcastle is also interested in the player but the club Lusitano has placed a limit to 17 today after there will be longer. In the last days of gioctore agent, Paulo Barbosa, directly to our microphones had said: "In the days close agreement with a European team, but it's not the Fiorentina. Likely that, at this point, the player remains in Lisbon at least until the end of the season."

Or it's all bollocks and we get neither.

Pretty much the thought approach that I'm taking.

You need to pick yourself up a bit lads, I know it's depressing at the moment but surely these are positive moves?

I'd say Veloso is a long shot but Nolan and Ebondo look like they will happen.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Megson also ruled the possibility of signing Miguel Veloso from Sporting Lisbon.

Dead in the water

Bolton made a move for Veloso earlier this week, but they have been unable to agree a fee with Sporting for the highly-rated midfielder.

"It's now dead in the water and won't happen," said Megson.

"We tried to bring what we thought was a top-class player to the club but we can't do it.

"To use an analogy, if you like a car but you can't afford it then you have to look at something cheaper."

Reports emanating from Portugal claim Manchester City and Newcastle have now enterted the race for Veloso.

Sporting are in no rush to sell Veloso and club president Filipe Soares Franco insists they will only let him leave if the deal is right for them.

"Other clubs are interested [in Veloso] but our intention is only to sell at the price we want," said Franco.

"If that is not possible Miguel will stay with us without any problems."

SSN

Guest sicko2ndbest

Vital Football :(

Newcastle United's bid to sign Miguel Veloso from Sporting Lisbon has hit a brick-wall, according to Portuguese publication Jornal Record.

The publication also cites that the Magpies were never willing to go through with a £10 million bid, and instead, wanted to the talented 22-year-old on loan.

The Magpies are now, according to the paper, trying to go back to their initial target Marco Donadel, in a desperate attempt to sign the Italian before the transfer window slams shut.

Bolton Wanderers were also interested in the player, but their interest has died down after it was revealed that Sporting wanted £12 million for their midfield maestro.

Guest neesy111

Vital Football :(

Newcastle United's bid to sign Miguel Veloso from Sporting Lisbon has hit a brick-wall, according to Portuguese publication Jornal Record.

The publication also cites that the Magpies were never willing to go through with a £10 million bid, and instead, wanted to the talented 22-year-old on loan.

The Magpies are now, according to the paper, trying to go back to their initial target Marco Donadel, in a desperate attempt to sign the Italian before the transfer window slams shut.

Bolton Wanderers were also interested in the player, but their interest has died down after it was revealed that Sporting wanted £12 million for their midfield maestro.

vital football haha i'll take that with a pinch of salt

The only way i can see us bidding 10m for Veloso is if we have let Given go for 14m, therefore we are making a profit if we sign him. I don't believe for a second Ashley's decided to "loosen the purse strings".

We won't sign Veloso but in the short term i don't think he would have made an "impact" anyway.

The thought of us wanting a £12m player on loan is as laughable as us raising £12m to buy him tbh.

You could take our approach of consistently offering lower than what the club wants, in the hope they'll suddenly go "Ahh go on then!"

Edit: And then spend a higher amount on a different player.

Guest sicko2ndbest

The thought of us wanting a £12m player on loan is as laughable as us raising £12m to buy him tbh.

Not really was it Manuel Fernandez that Everton got on loan and he was in that bracket

Plausible no, possible yes!

Not really was it Manuel Fernandez that Everton got on loan and he was in that bracket

Plausible no, possible yes!

Oh come on, now you're just listing Portugese midfielders we f***ed up trying to get  :-[

:lol: